HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2003, 01:11 PM
London, UK
Joined Mar 2001
155 Posts
been a while since I did this

totally lunched the gearbox. Airframe might have lived if I had more patience.......

Maybe I need more airtime on something softer and thewn I won;t get caught low and slow again
fastbloke is offline Find More Posts by fastbloke
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2003, 01:13 PM
London, UK
Joined Mar 2001
155 Posts
that fat lady has sang her heart out for this ex-mustang ;-(
Old Jun 01, 2003, 01:15 PM
London, UK
Joined Mar 2001
155 Posts
twas not pretty once I got inside here. Bust gearbox, bent shaft. Even the ballraces were clicking......
Old Jun 01, 2003, 01:21 PM
Minneapolis MN
Joined Sep 2002
1,666 Posts
OUCH!! Sorry man, that is a heartbreaker. If this is your first plane, then definantly go for a slowstick. If you have some past piloting experiance, then an Estarter would be in store.
-Sam
FLYWINGFAN is offline Find More Posts by FLYWINGFAN
Old Jun 01, 2003, 01:28 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
Tough luck man. What Sam said.

That looks like a clean break it's reapirable. She'll roar again and the fat lady'll get laryngitis.

Cam
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old Jun 01, 2003, 03:11 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined May 2003
448 Posts
A new gearbox and some POR glue and you will be good to go. You will need to be because you can't gey Estarters in the UK (at least I can't find any)

Graham
eSmasher is offline Find More Posts by eSmasher
Old Jun 02, 2003, 01:37 AM
London, UK
Joined Mar 2001
155 Posts
Well,
The slowstick was a doddle, the tiggy is a dream (all gws stuff so far), the pixie HLG is good fun but setting up the bungy takes a while, the hoverfly obviously is only good indoors. A few planes under my belt with no damage so I thought the p-51 would be a good next step.

I had 3 good flights under my belt with trusty old radio and a 10 x somehting standard prop. I thought I'd try my fancy new radio with rates and a 9x something (can't remember pitch) prop. Looks like I needed to make one change at a time. Got myself in a pickle with the rates, low slow and too twitchy thumbs shot me down good and proper.

Thinking about an A-10 instead as I have read tip stall warnings for the P-51 but I have heard only good things about the stability of the A-10. I guess I needed something softer for the step up to a full house ship.

Not too heart broken about the tang ( not but definitely not ) as it cost less in time but more in bucks which I can handle even though there is a bit of nagging about 'another toy plane' from my financial superviser ('er indoors)

Thanks for the sympathy......more than I get at home!!!!
Old Jun 02, 2003, 05:21 AM
The need for speed
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
168 Posts
That's definitely repairable. It's amazing how easy it is to repair GWS foamies, the parts all seem to fit together so well after a crash. Just a bit of 5 minute epoxy required and she will be as good as new!
Foaminator is offline Find More Posts by Foaminator
Old Jun 02, 2003, 07:10 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined May 2003
448 Posts
As Foaminator says the foam is easy to fix, the gearbox can be replaced easily as well - quite a few folk in the UK do GWS gearboxes and spares - if the motor is OK the box will cost about 10 and less if you salvage bits.

Graham
eSmasher is offline Find More Posts by eSmasher