SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 01, 2010, 04:03 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Discussion
Bad day in Kandahar, Afghanistan today :(

Howdy from Kandahar everyone. Had a BAAAAD day today for sure. I got ahold of a Blade 400 heli yesterday from a guy who was heading home. I needed a bit of attention. New blades, and some minor adjustments and its good as new!

So, I took it out today to get the first test flight done after the repairs/adjustments. It flew great! I was doing some lazy patterns to get back into the swing of helis and just generally having fun. Well, in hindsight, I should have asked someone first. Apparently we are not allowed to fly... anything... at any time... anywhere here on KAF. I knew we shouldnt, but, I didnt know just how serious they were.

I had just landed and was packing my stuff up for the 1/2 mile walk back to our CP when 2 hummers came rolling up. A Command Sergeant Major hopped out and proceeded to ramble off regulations and SOPs punishments about flying RC Aircraft on Kandahar Air Field. Well, lucky for me, I outrank him, so I informed him that I was just doing a test flight and that I would take it back and put it away until I could get those rules "amended" so I could fly my heli!
I was polite to him as was he to me, but, apparently, this particular CSM works for the full bird Colonel in charge of KAF security, I DO NOT outrank him I might add.

So, a quick phone call to my commander, and a quick ride down to the KAF HQ and I am now helicopter-less. They decided it looked better in thier office than in my room. Since I am a Blackhawk pilot, I tried to use the excuse that I was practicing my emergency procedures, but he didnt find that too amusing.

My commander (a Captain) and I have had our butts chewed more than I care to think about, and Im out a $200 helicopter. Lucky for me, my commander had a good sense of humor about it. Since we both fly Hawks, he giggled about the emergency procedure training comment and even asked me if I logged the flight time in my records.

Guess it could have been worse. Wish I could have gotten some pictures of it flyin here though. Now I have to figure out how Im gonna get it back!

CW2 Stahr, Laine C.
US Army, Aviator
Kandahar, Afghanistan
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2010, 04:13 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,317 Posts
Awwww carp! Sorry to hear about that Laine - what a bummer. Do they have the same restrictions on r/c ground vehicles?
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Apr 01, 2010, 04:18 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Ground vehicles are ok, but only on 2.4ghz. They can only be driven at one spot though. The good news is that they have 2 racetracks there at that spot. I'll be doin some racing soon with my new Losi Strike. Hope it shows up tomorrow!

Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Apr 01, 2010, 05:12 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,740 Posts
After what I was afraid the message would be about, the truth came as a great relief.....Makes my little problems seem damn....little.

Be careful, guys. Don't put too heavy a strain on my prayers for your safety.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Apr 01, 2010, 05:17 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,454 Posts
Just to lift your spirits Laine, I got my sunflower seeds back at the end of the school year from the librarian that confiscated them in the 8th grade.

I know. It's not much.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Apr 01, 2010, 05:27 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
Just to lift your spirits Laine, I got my sunflower seeds back at the end of the school year from the librarian that confiscated them in the 8th grade.
Jesus, Mark! You must be about 50 years old now. And she just gave them back to you at the end of the 2009 school year. Heck, she kept since you were about age 14; I'm surprised she kept the so long. How did she find you, anyway?

But it goes to show that she must have been a responsible librarian/teacher, considering her record keeping.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old Apr 01, 2010, 05:37 PM
Im gilfrisco
Sacramento
Joined Mar 2010
24 Posts
Haha love that you out ranked that guy!!!!

Pretty cool you guys have a track out there i had no idea

Hope all is well for you and the rest of the troops!
Raab is offline Find More Posts by Raab
Old Apr 01, 2010, 05:39 PM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Joined May 2008
349 Posts
Isn't that just like the goverment. They trust you to fly a multi-million dollar Blackhawk but not to fly a $200.00 RC helicopter.
Oldgzr is offline Find More Posts by Oldgzr
Old Apr 01, 2010, 05:46 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,669 Posts
Lane!
sorry about the slow down- at least there's humor aboard! I haven't been following many posts lately- didn't know you were "workin"! got room for a old unemployed machinist?
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Apr 01, 2010, 05:48 PM
Fly, Crash, Cry...
United States, CA, Placentia
Joined Jun 2007
511 Posts
Laine,

May be you should ask them to loan you a predator for a couple of hours a day, and remember to ask for Hellfire missiles as well. Beats your Blade anytime.
hongrn is offline Find More Posts by hongrn
Old Apr 01, 2010, 06:18 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
If your colonel has an email address, maybe we could get together, and send him a few hundreds polite messages to try to convince him that those "toys" are great for hand to eye coordination training.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Apr 01, 2010, 06:23 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
If your colonel has an email address, maybe we could get together, and send him a few hundreds polite messages to try to convince him that those "toys" are great for hand to eye coordination training.
that's a GREAT idea. let's make Laine THE example. (you can thanks us later)

did the CSM mention anything about your boots or uniform. that's always a pet peeve with them too.

maybe you should have put him at parade rest. you know, show'em who's the BOSS!
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 01, 2010, 08:30 PM
Brandon Evers
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2006
355 Posts
This isn't like the time you flew your plane into a CO's windshield, is it?
bevers01 is offline Find More Posts by bevers01
Old Apr 01, 2010, 08:30 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
I can't believe we watched this goofy movie, AGAIN, last night! (Something like "Noah's monster ark", or some such. Supposedly in Iraq, with a Seargent-Major leading the group, and all the scientists refering to him as "Major", and all the corporals calling him "Sir". Those Hollywood dingbats hate the military so bad, they won't even take 10 minutes to do a little checking!
Anyway, rant over!

Hang in there, Laine! Many thanks to all you guys!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Apr 01, 2010, 09:12 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,317 Posts
D'oh! Lane strikes again! And I had told myself to watch out for April 1st jokes. I've been had be the prosfessional in the group!

Good job Lane (for duping me, again!) and to bevers01 for not being taken
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM