HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2010, 12:22 PM
Spektrum Dev Team
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Apr 2002
1,053 Posts
Discussion
super cheap video goggles on Ebay- FPV on a budget for someone good with electronics

I went digging for another Trimersion auction on ebay (can't find any online anywhere for any price.. maybe they're all gone?!?!) and came up with this one for an old (circa 1995- first gen HMD) pair of Virtual IO glasses.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Virtual-i-o-vide...#ht_783wt_1165

It says it has a power supply issue, my bet is the cells are dead as a door nail by now. It may be a good candidate if someone wants to try to get into FPV on a budget and isn't afraid to do some hacking. I'd recommend doing a ski goggle hack. I almost didn't bother posting this, but I found something that said these are 640 x 480, and for the price it may actually be worth it! (or not, I dunno )
aaronredbaron is offline Find More Posts by aaronredbaron
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2010, 12:45 PM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,072 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-TRIMERSION-V...item5191a2b579

I plan on getting a set for $48 from this auction.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Apr 01, 2010, 01:37 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-TRIMERSION-V...item5191a2b579

I plan on getting a set for $48 from this auction.
Mine looks to come out at $21.50 + $29 = $50.50

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 05, 2010, 07:15 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I HAD the virtual i-o's

Headache in a box. Low res, and had dead pixels they expected me to accept 'because they were meeting quality threshold for the product' -what?

These just aren't getting better, regardless of what the listings say.
"Nifty" is about the highest praise I can level at them. "Buggy", at the worst.

A small video monitor is better ergonomically, and is what the MIL word is using.
Otherwise, the operator gets seasick, very fast...
The human mind tries to lock its perceptions to its environment.
Going to a helmet or goggle introduces a disconnect, and I found it nausea-inducing quickly. And ten minutes or so is about all I could take, be it movie or video game.
If you ever get a chance to observe somebody using a heads-up display like this, watch them, as they take it OFF.
you can see the stresses drop- big time. Using a setup like this seems like a great idea, but in use, it's a pain.
Like those chopper-style motorcycles they sell: Great seating in the showroom, but pure torture in the wind for 45 minutes.

I've no idea how Virtual i-o stays in business. The year that I had their product, there was a 100% recall, and I got out of owning them!
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Last edited by killbucket; May 05, 2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: you gotta see MY new website: air-sharp