HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2011, 02:49 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Funny you should say that. I've been flying my mCX2 almost exclusively as my indoor heli for the past 4-5 days, though I have been flying my 120SR outdoors. The reason being, my mSR was down due to a bad 5in1 board, but it arrived today. Now I will be flying both again.

Back to the mCX2, it has not had one single problem. It has been perfect from day one. My 120SR, and mSR however, well let's just say they have their "moments".

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbeagle View Post
I guess everybody has gotten their MCX2's flying great and no problems 'cause this thread has been extremely quiet.

A good testament to how good the little chopper is to fly.

Frank "WOOF" Beagle
Challenger Dealer CHII N797FB
http://frankbeagle.blogspot.com
frankbeagle at hotmail.com
ph# 708-269-8057
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2011, 03:21 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
The MSR is the most maneuverable and quickest of them all. If you didn't like the msr than forget the mcx2. It is basically an in-between of the original mcx and the msr.
Thanks kinda what I was thinking. Thanks for the reply.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I gots me a Goblin!
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:50 PM
Montreal, Qc. Canada
Joined May 2007
501 Posts
Can anybody explain to me WHY my helicopter will not fly at all outside on a calm day?
Cannot control it. Inside: NO problem.
callmemario is offline Find More Posts by callmemario
Old Apr 30, 2011, 01:27 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
What do you call a "calm day" in your vicinity? Remember that these small models are very light, and because their main blades are fixed pitch, they can't counteract the breeze to keep them from being blown away like a kite without a string.

To have any chance of success to fly the mCX2 or similar heli outside, there must be no wind at all. You could feel some air movement but that's about it. Otherwise, you'll find yourself fighting to maintain control, and even crash which could cause damage to the model.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemario View Post
Can anybody explain to me WHY my helicopter will not fly at all outside on a calm day?
Cannot control it. Inside: NO problem.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 01:45 PM
Montreal, Qc. Canada
Joined May 2007
501 Posts
Hi Ed,

I guess I have to be honest, there was, as you say "some air movement", but really, to me it was like barely noticeable. But for the EXTRA LIGHT heli as you say, maybe that was a killer!. Next time I'm out, I will make absolutely sure there is NO wind or breeze at all.

Thanks for your input.

Luckily no damage was done since I just tried hovering a few feet above the grass. (Would not go any higher anyways). Maybe when the sun is about to set will give me some fun air time. Cheers! Mario
Old Apr 30, 2011, 01:47 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,008 Posts
you ever fly the mcx with a ceiling fan on? It can be hard to control. Just think if you have that much air movement all around it while your outside. It can make it even more difficult.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Apr 30, 2011, 02:32 PM
Montreal, Qc. Canada
Joined May 2007
501 Posts
Quote:
you ever fly the mcx with a ceiling fan on? It can be hard to control. Just think if you have that much air movement all around it while your outside. It can make it even more difficult.
That's for sure!. But I was talking of "hardly" any breeze at all. Conclusion: do not fly outside unless there is NO displacement of air at all! (and that is rare)
Old May 22, 2011, 05:15 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,203 Posts
Hey guys! I wanted to check back into the thread and recommend the heli to anyone. It is durable and very fun. Beginners should start using dual-rate and once you get up to speed skip that for some fun zipping around your flying area. Very early on I busted my landing gear, but that is the only thing I have broken so far and I have crashed pretty hard numerous times.

RC beginners should get one of these and a Champ. They are both damn fun and good to learn with.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2011, 08:17 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Minutes before I posted this, I was flying my mCX2! My two mSRs, and my 120SR are a lot of fun too, but the mCX2's docile handling is so easy, and worry free.

Yes I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is just starting with 4 channel coaxial helis, and those who are experienced as well for a fun model to fly indoors, especially when the weather isn't right outside.

If one day I ever get a fixed wing aircraft, I think I will get a Champ, and maybe even a BNF Ember 2.

Cheers,
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
Hey guys! I wanted to check back into the thread and recommend the heli to anyone. It is durable and very fun. Beginners should start using dual-rate and once you get up to speed skip that for some fun zipping around your flying area. Very early on I busted my landing gear, but that is the only thing I have broken so far and I have crashed pretty hard numerous times.

RC beginners should get one of these and a Champ. They are both damn fun and good to learn with.
Old May 22, 2011, 08:26 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,008 Posts
get the champ first. The ember 2 is a great little plane and can fly really slowly but its not what I would consider crash resistant. the tail could be easily broken on a bad crash. The champ is MUCH more resistant and can take a pretty good beating.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old May 22, 2011, 11:32 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
If I ever decide to get these planes, I was planning on getting both at the same time anyway. And I'm pretty sure I can fly the Ember 2 in my backyard which is maybe 40' x 50' give or take. Maybe the Champ can too.

But thanks for the heads up on the Ember 2's weakness.

Ed

Quote:
get the champ first. The ember 2 is a great little plane and can fly really slowly but its not what I would consider crash resistant. the tail could be easily broken on a bad crash. The champ is MUCH more resistant and can take a pretty good beating.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:08 AM
Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2007
41 Posts
MCX2 Servo problems

I have had my MCX2 for about six months. I have flown it about twenty times. After my last session the two linear servos mounted on the main board stopped working. The heli will hover however I have no lateral or pitch input. Has anybody else had this problems? Is there any small connection on the main board that may have come loose? It seems strange that both servos stopped working.

I am using the transmitter that comes with the RTF version. I also have had no crashes other than tip overs on landing etc. Since the main board is basically the whole helicopter replacing it would essentially be replacing the helicopter. Does anybody make a cheaper replacement for this board (China)?

Thanks
rhowdy is offline Find More Posts by rhowdy
Old May 23, 2011, 11:37 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,368 Posts
rhowdy, try re-trimming all the trims. Check the small screws that hold the servos in place on the PCB. While your there look to make sure the little grometts are in place on top of each servo. It does seem weird both would stop working at the same time. It may not be getting the proper juice from the battery to the heli. In that case you may need a new connector: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ3052

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old May 23, 2011, 03:20 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Not sure that getting a new battery connector would help him, According to him, it does hover, and we know well that the main motor by far uses way more current than the servos would.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
It may not be getting the proper juice from the battery to the heli. In that case you may need a new connector: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ3052

Mike.
Old May 23, 2011, 03:23 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
You might want to call Horizon Hobby, and see what they suggest. You never know, they might even offer to help with replacement parts. But even if they don't, they might still point you in the right direction.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhowdy View Post
I have had my MCX2 for about six months. I have flown it about twenty times. After my last session the two linear servos mounted on the main board stopped working. The heli will hover however I have no lateral or pitch input. Has anybody else had this problems? Is there any small connection on the main board that may have come loose? It seems strange that both servos stopped working.

I am using the transmitter that comes with the RTF version. I also have had no crashes other than tip overs on landing etc. Since the main board is basically the whole helicopter replacing it would essentially be replacing the helicopter. Does anybody make a cheaper replacement for this board (China)?

Thanks