HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2011, 03:59 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
697 Posts
Battery Life?

I'm new to these micro helis. Bought a MCX2 about a month ago. Have three E-flite 150ma's. Never fly more than 5:30 minutes and use my Triton2 EQ with the TME adapter to charge.

Now one of my batteries after two hours of use will not fly the bird longer than four minutes. Is this typical expected battery life for these? If so does any other brand last longer?

TIA,
Mark
Soarmark is offline Find More Posts by Soarmark
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2011, 04:04 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarmark View Post
I'm new to these micro helis. Bought a MCX2 about a month ago. Have three E-flite 150ma's. Never fly more than 5:30 minutes and use my Triton2 EQ with the TME adapter to charge.

Now one of my batteries after two hours of use will not fly the bird longer than four minutes. Is this typical expected battery life for these? If so does any other brand last longer?

TIA,
Mark
Hyperion and Thunder Power batteries are very well regarded. I have eight Hyperion 160mAh batteries for my mSR and love them. They last a LONG time, too. The stock E-flight batteries stuck...period... I had two E-flite 150mAh batteries to go along with the two 120mAh batteries that came with the mSR. They've long since been trashed...
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Feb 04, 2011, 04:14 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Either your charger is burning them up or you are running them to lvc. They should last longer than that.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Feb 04, 2011, 04:57 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
697 Posts
I have been charging at 450 ma according to the TME instructions for 3 150's. Prior to the low flight times it was taking about 60-70 min to charge all three and putting in around 73% capacity. From what little I know about this e-power stuff thats a fairly soft charge regime.

Only hit the LVC once the first time I flew it and set the timer on my DX6i so I never flew over 6 minutes after that. 78 flights so far and having fun.

Sviking I'll check into some of the Hyperion or TP's. Only two hours of battery life is a might steep. I've heard some friends complain about the stockers also.

Thanks guys,
Mark
Soarmark is offline Find More Posts by Soarmark
Old Feb 04, 2011, 05:18 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
I am betting that those cells are not close to the same voltage and your burning them up.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Feb 04, 2011, 05:23 PM
Cumming, GA
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarmark View Post

TIA,
Mark
I'm getting a good 6mins on the 120 stock battery, and 8mins on the 150 with about 30seconds to spare on each. (Well that's what I have the timer set for so when the alarm goes off, I still have 100% accuracy over the heli). Oh, one thing I would add is..... that I am still just using the 4-AA portable battery unit to recharge these at the moment.
kaamacat is offline Find More Posts by kaamacat
Last edited by kaamacat; Feb 04, 2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: added info
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:05 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,708 Posts
I use the charger that came with my MSR, it charges four batteries at the same time
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:33 PM
Magnolia, MA.
Joined Dec 2010
219 Posts
Guys...I'm using the MSR 4-port charger that came with the RTF. I haven't used my MSR (yet) Been flying my mCX2 w/ the Eflite 3.7V 150mAh battery & getting close to 7+ minutes (I use a timer as well) Bought 4 of these batteries here:

http://hicountryhobbies.com/index.ph...roducts_id=132

Purchased 4 for $11.70 w/ free shipping. I'm getting 8/30 on them. They are really good & cheap! I think Eflite batteries are ok, but they simply cost too much IMHO! Lesson learned.
UMASS is offline Find More Posts by UMASS
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:43 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMASS View Post
Guys...I'm using the MSR 4-port charger that came with the RTF. I haven't used my MSR (yet) Been flying my mCX2
Fire up that mSR and you'll forget about the mCX. My mSR has pretty much permanently shelved my CX2.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:56 PM
Magnolia, MA.
Joined Dec 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post
Fire up that mSR and you'll forget about the mCX. My mSR has pretty much permanently shelved my CX2.
Sviking...Dude..I hear ya! But...I really want to do this hobby right! I'm gaining exp. on the mCX2 & I own several co-ax @ the moment. I have in inventory is a MSR & SR120 RTF as well. When I bought both of them I didn't understand the BNF/RTF scenario. I'll wait for FP helis @ the moment! I'm using "Clearview" flight sim & I'm loving it! I'm collecting all Eflite birds. Here is what I have so far:

mCX2 (1-RFT) (1-BNF) One I added the the Carbon tailboom.
mCX S300 (1-BNF)
mCX Tandem Rescue (2-BNF ebay deal I couldn't pass up/discontinued now)
MSR (1-RTF)
120SR (1-RTF)

I went w/ 2 each of the E-Sky (vs. the CX2) Lama V4's.

Ok..That's my inventory of 4CH helis @ the moment! I think I'll pick-up a CX2 @ some point to fill out my Eflite collection!
Old Feb 04, 2011, 07:05 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,708 Posts
Nice collection

I have:
1 x MCX BNF
1 x MCX S300 BNF
2 x MCX2 BNF & RTF (RTF second hand on ebay never used)
1 x MCX Tandem RTF (second hand on ebay never used)
1 x MSR PNP (heli only, no battery or charger)
2 x CX2 RTF (both second hand on ebay)

All these are bound to my DX6i

2 x Esky Lama V4 (both second hand on ebay)

I also have the Phoenix Flight Sim on the DX6i

It's my birthday soon so the 120 SR could be a candidate as my present to myself

Quote:
I'm collecting all Eflite birds. Here is what I have so far:

mCX2 (1-RFT) (1-BNF) One I added the the Carbon tailboom.
mCX S300 (1-BNF)
mCX Tandem Rescue (2-BNF ebay deal I couldn't pass up/discontinued now)
MSR (1-RTF)
120SR (1-RTF)

I went w/ 2 each of the E-Sky (vs. the CX2) Lama V4's.

Ok..That's my inventory of 4CH helis @ the moment! I think I'll pick-up a CX2 @ some point to fill out my Eflite collection!
Old Feb 04, 2011, 07:16 PM
Magnolia, MA.
Joined Dec 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
Nice collection

I have:
1 x MCX BNF
1 x MCX S300 BNF
2 x MCX2 BNF & RTF (RTF second hand on ebay never used)
1 x MCX Tandem RTF (second hand on ebay never used)
1 x MSR PNP (heli only, no battery or charger)
2 x CX2 RTF (both second hand on ebay)

All these are bound to my DX6i

2 x Esky Lama V4 (both second hand on ebay)

I also have the Phoenix Flight Sim on the DX6i

It's my birthday soon so the 120 SR could be a candidate as my present to myself
ScotSoft: Dude...Nice Eflite set up! Can I ask...In the USA Efilte parts are @ every (I mean every) LHS. No questions asked. In England is it the same scenario? I LOVE Eflite products! Great builds & parts are the best! But....So many people told me to score the E-Sky Lama V4 & I'm glad I did! I will score a CX2 down the road (which is really a Lama V4 anyway)

I think I'll pick-up a DX6i or a DX7 down the road myself.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 08:16 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,708 Posts
Thanks, they were the reason I bought my DX6i as I did not want loads of transmitters and I fell in love from the minute I set eyes on them.

I also realised I could save money long term with the BNF option.

The LHS in the UK are mainly a joke, in the city where I live there are two "If it does not come in a box we don't sell it" type shops, so all my spares and even helis I have bought mail order.

I did buy my second Syma S022 3ch big Chinook from one LHS as they were selling it cheaper than I could get it on ebay

I have the kit to backlight the LCD screen on the DX6i, just need the time to sit down and get on with it but you have to give your helis flying time and that's much more fun than taking things to bits lol.

Quote:
ScotSoft: Dude...Nice Eflite set up! Can I ask...In the USA Efilte parts are @ every (I mean every) LHS. No questions asked. In England is it the same scenario? I LOVE Eflite products! Great builds & parts are the best! But....So many people told me to score the E-Sky Lama V4 & I'm glad I did! I will score a CX2 down the road (which is really a Lama V4 anyway)

I think I'll pick-up a DX6i or a DX7 down the road myself.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 08:33 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
I think I'll pick-up a CX2 @ some point to fill out my Eflite collection!
Seriously? I have a gently used CX2 with a bunch of extras. Metal rotor head parts, motor heat sink, new CX3 3-in-1 unit for the improved heading hold gyro, spare shafts, blades, etc. It's also the RTF version so it comes with the transmitter, charger, etc. Two extra Turnigy 900mAh batteries, too. PM me if you think you might want it.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 08:34 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
The LHS in the UK are mainly a joke, in the city where I live there are two "If it does not come in a box we don't sell it" type shops, so all my spares and even helis I have bought mail order.
I feel your pain... There are NO hobby shops in my area at all.