HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:22 AM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
For those worrying about the shaft piercing the battery in a crash...it won't... The collar at the top of the frame would prevent that from happening.
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2011, 02:56 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,335 Posts
Hey, while we are talking mCX2 mods, I ran across a cool one from Dave (NightFlyyer) that I really wanted to do to my own:

mCX2 modified for "FAA Approved" lighting:
http://www.youtube.com/user/NightFly...15/Djn719cdwb4

The only problem I saw with it is that the change means your plug does not remove all the wiring anymore, so you need to add wire to the orange lead as a service loop, allowing you to remove the tail. Things are tight enough in there already, and I just hate the idea of a chain of parts tied together by wire...

So, I thought I would "mod" his "mod" by just jumping a suitable ground from the PCB to the existing post on the header, where the plug with the orange wire goes.

This would cause the intermittently grounded (through the existing blinker circuit), then open connection to be permanently grounded, thus achieving the same result, but with a less invasive mod, and one that still allows routine removal of the tail exactly as it is now.

I have the appropriate gauge PCB jump wire, and decent soldering skills (though I hate surface mount/small resolution hand soldering!), so I got the handy ohm meter out to verify the ground at the cap, and then string a wire from there to the header PCB pad at the orange position.

While in there probing, I decided to verify if the unused pin on the header was VCC, Gnd, open, or even something else entirely.

Well, looky, looky -- the unused header pin is already hooked to ground. Woo Hoo!

So the obvious final and least invasive solution of all was at hand, just pull orange wire and pin, and relocate to the unused header position. In case you want to reverse this mod, just be careful to not over bend the tang holding the metal pin in, otherwise, it will break. But removing it with care means if for some reason I didn't like it, or wanted to return it to stock, it's easily done.

Well, it worked like a champ, here are a couple of photos:

1) Stock PCB and wiring

2) Orange wire moved to new location

3) Works like a champ! I love the look, with only tail now flashing, and solids on both sides, and even during daytime it is much more visible and appealing (to me).

Downsides? Well, I guess the power draw is incrementally increased, but given that I was getting ~ 10 minutes of flight time on a 150 mAh lipo, that is not a concern for me. Just changing the duty cycle of two LEDs from 50% to 100%, I doubt you would be able to measure the difference in flight time. (Yes, the tail light still flashes alternately!)
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Jan 17, 2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 04:23 PM
Bend, Oregon
Joined Mar 2010
371 Posts
After the demise of my MCX, I decided to get an MCX2. It came in yesterday, so I picked it up on the way to work.

Got home last night, charged up the battery, bound it to my DX6i, and off we went....

My mcx was really getting tired, so it required quite a bit of throttle input to take off. I guess I had developed a habit with it, an did the same with the MCX2.

Imagine my surprise when it lifted off and headed straight up into the ceiling

No damage sustained though. It didn't require much trimming on the tx, and it hovers and flies like a dream.

Very cool little heli. Much more enjoyable for indoor flying, than my heavily modded CX2 was. There is just something really cool about these little ones
Piper Cub Man is offline Find More Posts by Piper Cub Man
Old Jan 15, 2011, 04:37 PM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Jan 2011
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by padge993 View Post
Looks like a bad ECS swapped plugs round and the the motor that was cutting out works fine. Both motors work fine on 2nd plug. Am i covered by a warranty?
Hello. I am new to this board and am suffering the same problem as you. Like you, switching the motor connections proved the motors were good but the 5-in-1 Board was bad. This was on a unit that was barely two weeks old.

I emailed bladehelis on Monday but did not get a reply by Friday, so I called them. They apologized for the delay but said they were swamped with emails. They DID immediately look up my email message, (to verify that I was telling the truth?)

They said it sounded like the 5-in-1 Board, and would be mailing one out that day! They didn't need my mCX2, or my 5-in-1 Board, or anything else except the address to mail it to! THAT sure went easy. To say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement!

Sure hope this solves the problem.

So, go ahead and email them, or call them, or both.
mybad is offline Find More Posts by mybad
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:15 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper Cub Man View Post
Very cool little heli. Much more enjoyable for indoor flying, than my heavily modded CX2 was. There is just something really cool about these little ones
If you think the mCX2 is fun...get an mSR.

I'm in the same boat with my CX2. I haven't flown it a SINGLE time since getting the mSR. I now have 10 batteries for it, too.
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Jan 16, 2011, 04:04 PM
Magnolia, MA.
Joined Dec 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybad View Post
Hello. I am new to this board and am suffering the same problem as you. Like you, switching the motor connections proved the motors were good but the 5-in-1 Board was bad. This was on a unit that was barely two weeks old.

I emailed bladehelis on Monday but did not get a reply by Friday, so I called them. They apologized for the delay but said they were swamped with emails. They DID immediately look up my email message, (to verify that I was telling the truth?)

They said it sounded like the 5-in-1 Board, and would be mailing one out that day! They didn't need my mCX2, or my 5-in-1 Board, or anything else except the address to mail it to! THAT sure went easy. To say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement!

Sure hope this solves the problem.

So, go ahead and email them, or call them, or both.
]

See...That's why Eflite/Blade is a great company! Yes...Thier products cost more, but you get an excellent bird, easy access to parts & great customer service! I own an mCX2/MSR/SR120. I did just purchase a E-Sky Lama V4 vs. the CX3. I wanted to try another company, plus parts are so damn cheap on the Lama V4 & so many 3rd party parts as well. Eflite is awesome period!
UMASS is offline Find More Posts by UMASS
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:26 PM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Jan 2011
547 Posts
Two more replies

Regarding the mCX2

...problem with the 5-in-1 Board, I just read on another forum that the same problem turned out to be a bad TRANSMITTER, and HH replaced it for them too. I'm waiting for my replacement Board to come in the mail, but I'm going to take my mCX2 and transmitter to my LHS and check out this possibility too.

Regarding the MSR

... being fun. I think I will buy one! The BNF runs about $100. I was thinking of buying the 4-lipo charger with the AC adapter anyway. The BNF COMES with those, and TWO lipos as well. That's roughly $65 right there, so the MSR is only $35. Guess you can't go wrong there, although I've been reading A LOT OF NASTY COMMENTS regarding flying it with the stock TX.

Regarding the SR120

... I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these to fly outside on calm days. Looks like I can still charge its batteries with the 4-lipo charger if I buy the adapter cables for about $2 each.

And, maybe I'll ask for the $150 a SPEKTRUM DXi6 transmitter for my birthday next October or Christmas 2011.
mybad is offline Find More Posts by mybad
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:33 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybad View Post
Regarding the mCX2

...problem with the 5-in-1 Board, I just read on another forum that the same problem turned out to be a bad TRANSMITTER, and HH replaced it for them too. I'm waiting for my replacement Board to come in the mail, but I'm going to take my mCX2 and transmitter to my LHS and check out this possibility too.

Regarding the MSR

... being fun. I think I will buy one! The BNF runs about $100. I was thinking of buying the 4-lipo charger with the AC adapter anyway. The BNF COMES with those, and TWO lipos as well. That's roughly $65 right there, so the MSR is only $35. Guess you can't go wrong there, although I've been reading A LOT OF NASTY COMMENTS regarding flying it with the stock TX.

Regarding the SR120

... I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these to fly outside on calm days. Looks like I can still charge its batteries with the 4-lipo charger if I buy the adapter cables for about $2 each.

And, maybe I'll ask for the $150 a SPEKTRUM DXi6 transmitter for my birthday next October or Christmas 2011.
I had to laugh at your post, because I recognize the same mental gymnastics I've been doing... I gotta tell you, E-flite/Blade is undeniably to be commended on one thing, no matter what you think of their products: They have definitely hit that sweet spot in combining engineering and marketing and bundling, so that you can do all sorts of calculations that tell you if you just go the next step, you'll get something with value to your current investment, so why not make it, even if it's more than you'd like to spend... you end up doing what is called "mental accounting" and tending to squash your mind (and wife?) yelling out at you about the actual out of pocket cost, and instead, defending it (not improperly) as an investment in a suite of parts that all complement and play together well, so it's really a bargain. Now, if only they had a trade-in credit program on all these left over low-end receivers, once we are all at DX6i or above!

Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:45 AM
Bend, Oregon
Joined Mar 2010
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Now, if only they had a trade-in credit program on all these left over low-end receivers, once we are all at DX6i or above!

I was a little intimidated buying a DX6i, because I'm technologically challenged
Others said it was a great move, and I wouldn't regret it. They were right...

Its so nice being able to buy a heli or plane, and not having to pay for the cheezy tx. Plus, the simplicity of having multiple models all on one tx, is really nice
Piper Cub Man is offline Find More Posts by Piper Cub Man
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:16 AM
Western PA, USA
Joined Oct 2005
158 Posts
Hey folks, I've just joined the club of newbie coaxial heli pilots.

I've been running and sailing RC boats for many years, and flying planks for the last three or four, but after wrestling less than successfully with a couple of helicopters on my simulator I decided I wasn't too interested in them. But my brother-in-law had asked about RC helis, so when he and my sister visited recently I took him down to the LHS to get their advice on a good first indoor heli for him. He walked away with the RTF MCX2, and I had the chance to fly it while showing him the basics of RC control. Even my 9-year-old was able to manage a decent hover and some simple flying in 'easy' mode.

When they left I told my wife "The house seems so empty without a helicopter in it." And my son immediately started saving his allowance for a Force RC. But as I didn't want to wait, and having a DX6i I ponied up for the BNF MCX2 yesterday, and we're having a blast already.

In between flights I've been reading this entire thread, and I'm posting to thank the contributors here for all the guidance and links to related info. It's making this first helicopter a better experience.
rallison is offline Find More Posts by rallison
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:27 AM
Western PA, USA
Joined Oct 2005
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Hey, while we are talking mCX2 mods, I ran across a cool one from Dave (NightFlyyer) that I really wanted to do to my own (...)

...just pull orange wire and pin, and relocate to the unused pin. In case you want to reverse this mod, just be careful to not over bend the tang holding the metal pin in, otherwise, it will break. But removing it with care means if for some reason I didn't like it, or wanted to return it to stock, it's easily done.

(...)

Works like a champ! I love the look, with only tail now flashing, and solids on both sides, and even during daytime it is much more visible and appealing (to me).

Downsides? Well, I guess the power draw is incrementally increased, but given that I was getting ~ 10 minutes of flight time on a 150 mAh lipo, that is not a concern for me. Just changing the duty cycle of two LEDs from 50% to 100%, I doubt you would be able to measure the difference in flight time. (Yes, the tail light still flashes alternately!)
Tracknoob,

Thanks for this -- I hesitate to mod my new MCX2 just yet, but I like scale so the first time I open 'er up for maintenance/repair I may give it a shot.

Now I just have to figure out how to add a flashing white beacon on the bottom and a steady white forward- and down-looking 'spot' without making it weigh a pound... ;-)
rallison is offline Find More Posts by rallison
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:09 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallison View Post
Tracknoob,

Thanks for this -- I hesitate to mod my new MCX2 just yet, but I like scale so the first time I open 'er up for maintenance/repair I may give it a shot.

Now I just have to figure out how to add a flashing white beacon on the bottom and a steady white forward- and down-looking 'spot' without making it weigh a pound... ;-)
Glad to see your post, and observe your renewed enthusiasm for the hobby! I am brand new here myself, but have already learned a ton from reading past posts, and also gotten terrific direct help, so the forum is a great resource. Hope you make that mod, I think you'll be pleased!

As to the additional clear lighting, I have a Kestrel 500sx on order, and before it even gets here, I am already thinking about some lighting mods, based on what I saw in the videos of it. I don't mind the flashing white strobe in front, but would like a solid white LED front-looking as well. I was going to look around for some vids of the actual Hughes 500 in flight, and get some ideas of various lighting options from there.
With white LEDs being available now, as well as other colors, and all low power consumption, we are living in an amazing time to be playing with these things... not to mention the other technology like freq hopping radios, low-cost high-tech materials, cheap electronics, internet to share info, etc.
Last edited by tracknoob; Jan 17, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:40 PM
Joined Jan 2011
12 Posts
Tracknoob:

Just got my MCX2 this past Xmas and I fell in love with it from its first take-off. Your lighting mod has made it 10x better if that is even possible. With the flashing lights I found that I had to stay close as it flew around my apartment to avoid crashing into things - walls, furniture, GF, whatever. Now I can be a true couch flier and still avoid the walls - haven't stopped harassing the GF though. Not only does it look better but for me it flies better.

Thank you very much.

And thanks to all the other members for their wealth of knowledge, experience and wisdom and a willingness to share. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute something someday myself.
coupster is offline Find More Posts by coupster
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:20 PM
Jim
Winchendon,MA
Joined Aug 2007
217 Posts
LED mod

Thanks Tracknoob for the tip on making the red and green LED's stay on (non-blinking). Great mod, I like the looks a lot better with the red and green on all the time. Thanks for posting such an easy way to perfrom the mod by using the unused slot on the connector. Would be nice if we could come up with an easy low weight mod for a solid white led up front.
jmoore is offline Find More Posts by jmoore
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:02 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Thanks Tracknoob for the tip on making the red and green LED's stay on (non-blinking). Great mod, I like the looks a lot better with the red and green on all the time. Thanks for posting such an easy way to perfrom the mod by using the unused slot on the connector. Would be nice if we could come up with an easy low weight mod for a solid white led up front.
coupster and jmoore - I appreciate the thanks, but it really goes to Master RC guy Dave Herbert (NightFlyyer) for the terrific idea and proof of concept -- I just simplified it a bit.

That said, I am with you guys -- the difference in the appearance and ease of tracking the heli in flight is striking. I didn't think I could like this amazing little bird any better... but I do, it has a real appealing look with those solids and the flashing red tail! Sometimes the simplest mods are the most rewarding.

As to lights, well, I might be making a trip to Radio Shack tomorrow to just scout around for loose parts and ideas... I'll keep white LEDs in mind, for both my Kestrel and the mCX2!

If I work anything out, I'll post it on the forum.

Last edited by tracknoob; Jan 17, 2011 at 05:08 PM.