Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:01 AM
Throttle-Hold Expert
Spokane
Joined Jan 2009
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Ahem:

1) I thought your profile said you are a college student, not an aeronautical or materials engineer.

2) When offered two options - hack away at what is already a minimalist chassis structure, versus providing a simple spacer to prevent possible interference; to most people, the preferred (and tested!) solution is obvious. Apparently not so for you. So be it.

3)I'd suggest you stay in school.

How can you say that little piece removed is "Hacking Away"?

How can you think the skids offer any structural integrity?

Are you an Engineer?

I am going to keep this public so other people can see how you are.
sv1000s is offline Find More Posts by sv1000s
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:09 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1000s View Post
How can you say that little piece removed is "Hacking Away"?

How can you think the skids offer any structural integrity?

Are you an Engineer?

I am going to keep this public so other people can see how you are.
(emphasis added)

Okay partner, I'll be your your huckleberry.

1. *I* never said the skids provided structural integrity. Not a point of contention.

2. Instead, it was YOU who said that the skids and the bar across the battery tray (which was the object of discussion) did NOT provide any structural integrity. Please review the thread if you disagree with either #1 or #2, so far.

3. My recommendations and endorsements of OP's pragmatic and now at least twice-proven method (grommets versus hacksaw) are consistent with modeling best practices, and with the concepts of mod-reversibility, of first doing no harm, and of taking a least-invasive approach that directly addresses the issue at hand without potentially introducing new or different issues. The one minor downside it could potentially introduce -- the skids eventually slipping off, was addressed by the OP in his recommendations to use adhesive, and check for fit.

4. Yes, I am an engineer, not that it matters for the purposes of this dialog.

5. I implore you to now stand down, or to take this to PM, as previously requested. I meant no harm, no disrespect, and no affront, and still don't, but frankly, you are out of your league, son. However, if you insist that you want to keep squawking, then of course, I'll keep listening and replying.

Cheers!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:18 AM
Throttle-Hold Expert
Spokane
Joined Jan 2009
564 Posts
Quote:
(emphasis added)

okay partner, i'll be your your huckleberry.

1. *i* never said the skids provided structural integrity. Not a point of contention.

2. Instead, it was you who said that the skids and the bar across the battery tray (which was the object of discussion) did not provide any structural integrity. Please review the thread if you disagree with either #1 or #2, so far.

3. My recommendations and endorsements of op's pragmatic and now at least twice-proven method (grommets versus hacksaw) are consistent with modeling best practices, and with the concepts of mod-reversibility, of first doing no harm, and of taking a least-invasive approach that directly addresses the issue at hand without potentially introducing new or different issues. The one minor downside it could potentially introduce -- the skids eventually slipping off, was addressed by the op in his recommendations to use adhesive, and check for fit.

4. Yes, i am an engineer, not that it matters for the purposes of this dialog.

5. I implore you to now stand down, or to take this to pm, as previously requested. I meant no harm, no disrespect, and no affront, and still don't, but frankly, you are out of your league, son. However, if you insist that you want to keep squawking, then of course, i'll keep listening and replying.

Cheers!
lol
Oh yes you did!
Quote:
that I would not want to remove any part that might be needed to contribute to structural integrity
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=805
Last edited by sv1000s; Jan 13, 2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: added link
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:48 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,019 Posts
Quote:
My posts are all correct -- I said exactly what I said, meant what I said, and feel no need to retract, correct or clarify anything.

I did not say what you claimed I said, and your link illustrates exactly that.

Keep workin' on it, I think eventually you'll get there, sport!

HINT: You have actually seen P/N EFLH2222 and it's descriptor, correct?

Still not wanting to go to PM, eh, mate?
Last edited by tracknoob; Jan 13, 2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 02:32 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Quote:
(emphasis added)

Okay partner, I'll be your your huckleberry.

1. *I* never said the skids provided structural integrity. Not a point of contention.

2. Instead, it was YOU who said that the skids and the bar across the battery tray (which was the object of discussion) did NOT provide any structural integrity. Please review the thread if you disagree with either #1 or #2, so far.

3. My recommendations and endorsements of OP's pragmatic and now at least twice-proven method (grommets versus hacksaw) are consistent with modeling best practices, and with the concepts of mod-reversibility, of first doing no harm, and of taking a least-invasive approach that directly addresses the issue at hand without potentially introducing new or different issues. The one minor downside it could potentially introduce -- the skids eventually slipping off, was addressed by the OP in his recommendations to use adhesive, and check for fit.

4. Yes, I am an engineer, not that it matters for the purposes of this dialog.

5. I implore you to now stand down, or to take this to PM, as previously requested. I meant no harm, no disrespect, and no affront, and still don't, but frankly, you are out of your league, son. However, if you insist that you want to keep squawking, then of course, I'll keep listening and replying.

Cheers!
I believe I was the one who suggested slicing off a small amount so that it no longer touches. That is NOT doing any harm. It is still there and still works for its intended purpose of protecting the battery.

extending the landing gear is the worse option if you think about it. You are changing the actual design of the helicopter by making the landing gear be farther away than it was made. Now, will it really hurt it? I doubt it. But it would be considered as changing the design of the helicopter itself.

Which is actually worse? Your adding more weight by adding the grommets, your extending the landing gear further down, You may have to use some type of glue to keep the landing gear in place which then if you crash and break the landing gear, may now have a much harder time in removing. All of that versus taking a sliver of plastic off the top edge to keep the shaft from touching.

Both systems work, but for some ungodly reason your acting like taking a sliver of plastic off is going to make the helicopter explode into a billion pieces and then the rest of the world is going to go into complete anarchy.

I say they are both alternatives that have been proven they work.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Jan 13, 2011, 04:03 PM
Joined Nov 2010
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel View Post
Motor cutting out could be a bad connection,bad motor or Bad ECS.
Check the motor wires and make sure they are not pinched or damaged and that the connector is completely connected to the ECS.
I worked on a MCX2 that came from the factory with the motor wire pinched between the motor and mainframe.

If you don't see anything obvious swap the two motor connectors at the ECS board. If the problem follows the motor you have a bad motor.
If the motor that was previously working fine now cuts out you have a bad ECS.
Looks like a bad ECS swapped plugs round and the the motor that was cutting out works fine. Both motors work fine on 2nd plug. Am i covered by a warranty?
padge993 is offline Find More Posts by padge993
Old Jan 13, 2011, 04:08 PM
Throttle-Hold Expert
Spokane
Joined Jan 2009
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
I believe I was the one who suggested slicing off a small amount so that it no longer touches. That is NOT doing any harm. It is still there and still works for its intended purpose of protecting the battery.

extending the landing gear is the worse option if you think about it. You are changing the actual design of the helicopter by making the landing gear be farther away than it was made. Now, will it really hurt it? I doubt it. But it would be considered as changing the design of the helicopter itself.

Which is actually worse? Your adding more weight by adding the grommets, your extending the landing gear further down, You may have to use some type of glue to keep the landing gear in place which then if you crash and break the landing gear, may now have a much harder time in removing. All of that versus taking a sliver of plastic off the top edge to keep the shaft from touching.

Both systems work, but for some ungodly reason your acting like taking a sliver of plastic off is going to make the helicopter explode into a billion pieces and then the rest of the world is going to go into complete anarchy.

I say they are both alternatives that have been proven they work.
AGREED 100%!

I don't know what Tracknoob's problem is...

I'm done wasting my time with that guy...
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:03 PM
Joined Nov 2010
158 Posts
Quote:
AGREED 100%!

I don't know what Tracknoob's problem is...

I'm done wasting my time with that guy...
In my opinion, he doesn't have a problem. You do. Why is that the 2 engineers here are the ones who think that a simple reversible mod is better than hacking away at something? Perhaps it is because we long ago learned that a simple mod that doesn't have a chance of error or damage is better than one that can result in damage if done incorrectly or something slips. Why is it that complex gear systems are adjusted with shims and not by grinding away at the components?
TheOldFart is offline Find More Posts by TheOldFart
Last edited by TheOldFart; Jan 14, 2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:40 PM
Throttle-Hold Expert
Spokane
Joined Jan 2009
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldFart View Post
In my opinion, he doesn't have a problem. You do. Why is that the 2 engineers here are the ones who think that a simple reversible mod is better than hacking away at something? Perhaps it is because we long ago learned that a simple mod that doesn't have a chance of error or damage is better than one that can result in damage if done incorrectly or something slips. Why is it that complex gear systems are adjusted with shims and not by grinding away at the components?
I won't waste my time with you either....you two just don't get it.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:42 PM
Puyallup, wa.
Joined Dec 2010
50 Posts
mods..

I cant see how a grommet, that measures less than 1/32in, even when factored to scale, makes any appreciable change. In fact, that grommet adds some shock isolation to the frame on a hard landing.

I would do that before grinding the battery support. Removing material rarely is ever considered to not affect structural integrity.
jeffpack1957 is offline Find More Posts by jeffpack1957
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:36 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpack1957 View Post
I cant see how a grommet, that measures less than 1/32in, even when factored to scale, makes any appreciable change. In fact, that grommet adds some shock isolation to the frame on a hard landing.

I would do that before grinding the battery support. Removing material rarely is ever considered to not affect structural integrity.

Thanks jeffpack1957 and Oldfart for letting me know I am not totally out to lunch.

However, I now realize that as a noob here, I should have taken a more friendly tone, even as I argued my position, so I hereby apologize openly and publicly to sv1000s and DoomSay or anyone else who might feel I was less than polite. Being new to the forum, it takes some figurin' to understand the culture, and I guess things here are a mite more teechy than I am used to.

I had hoped that a single photo from my own heli, now included in the prior post since a moderator told me I needed to edit it based on a complaint, would have sufficed to illustrate my point.

If not, I guess I am just plain out of bullets, and ready to move on to more fruitful pursuits!

Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:09 PM
Puyallup, wa.
Joined Dec 2010
50 Posts
While there's no real right or wrong answer yet, common sense dictates that in lieu of absolute facts, a temporary and reversible fix would be better than a permanent and untested one.
jeffpack1957 is offline Find More Posts by jeffpack1957
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:27 PM
Jim
Winchendon,MA
Joined Aug 2007
217 Posts
I have to join in with the engineers. Actually, my fix was even less invasive. Once I saw that the shaft was indeed touching the battery brace, I simply pulled the front peg of the ldg gear out slightly and I now have plenty of clearance. I'm keeping an eye on it, but so far even after a few hard landings, the clearance is still there.
jmoore is offline Find More Posts by jmoore
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:59 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
Ok, DO NOT INSTALL ANY ALUMINIUM PARTS WHERE THERE SHOULD BE PLASTIC!!!!!!
I agree...except for the swashplate. I've flown R/C helos from an mSR to a CX2/3 to large glow helos like X-Cell and TSK Mystar .60s. A CNC metal swashplate is a VERY worthy upgrade. It's a fairly high stress/high RPM component that is the heart and soul of the flight control system that connects the non-rotating control input from servos to the rotor blades.
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:02 AM
Cumming, GA
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
I have to join in with the engineers. Actually, my fix was even less invasive. Once I saw that the shaft was indeed touching the battery brace, I simply pulled the front peg of the ldg gear out slightly and I now have plenty of clearance. I'm keeping an eye on it, but so far even after a few hard landings, the clearance is still there.
Was checking mine last night...... The shaft has plenty of room between the battery holder (so I'm fortunate). But, did notice that there was room to trim the shaft end if needed, should I have been in the stuation where it did in-fact hit the carrier.

Just mention that as another option as it all depends on how high up your lower gear is in relation to the motor pinion gear, which is wider. (And sure you'd then lack some wiggle room). Just mentioning.
kaamacat is offline Find More Posts by kaamacat