SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:50 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedski View Post
Total noob RC flier here, so please be gentle...
Chose the mCX2 for my first foray into the RC world... turned up today and felt like a kid again opening the box of my new toy

Anyway, got all set up, read the manual, tested it out, all working fine. However at some point during my very first test flight (with the expected minor crashes & collisions from a first timer) I noticed the aileron servo stopped responding. Nothing happens at all if I move the right hand stick left and right. I can still fly it using the rudder and elevators ok, but no side motion... luckily it hovers pretty well.

Can I really have broken it in my first flight so easily or is it possible it could be faulty? Is this sort of damage/fault expected from minor crashes?
Anyone have any advice about things I can try to get it working again or diagnose exactly what might be wrong with it? I've rebound it to the controller and had a look for any loose connections but I can't see any.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks.
N.
As another person said, it could be your battery pushing against the gear. Another thing to check is to make sure the motors are meshing with the gears. In a crash, the motor can slip down and cause it to not be connecting well with the gears. The glue they use to hold the motor in place isn't very good and a good jolt can break it lose.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2011, 01:26 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel View Post
Thats really neat looking.

You can buy the replacement led light set for $5.99 rather than rip the existing one out of the tail fuselage.
http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...rodID=EFLH2404
that way when you use the full fuseladge you can use all three led lights in it.
Thanks.

I originally stopped by my LHS but they didn't have the replacement LED instock. Since the harness was merely taped on, I decided it was easy enough to put it back if I wanted to.

However, I did put the part number in the original post, including the price to steer people that way so they can retain the original fuselage. That would have been my preferred way as well.

Thanks!
-Daryoon
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Last edited by Daryoon; Jan 07, 2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 12:17 AM
Joined Sep 2009
117 Posts
Quote:
Where do you have your throttle trim set at?
When the throttle trim is set to neutral the MCX2 has the tendance to apply alittle throttle to the heli causing the blades to spin.
A little nudge on the throttle like you describe would cause the blades to spin.
It is recommended to set the throttle trim to atleast a couple click negative to prevent this from happening.
I know you like it and think its cool but understand you run the risk of throttle being applied if you crash.
This can cause motor and or ECS damage when the blades are contacting a hard object and throttle is applied.
Hey Jtravel, thanks for the reply there. I tried w/the throttle hover switch all the way down but when I plug the battery on, decide to nudge the throttle just a lil......I can hear the motors begin again....then slowly the top blade......then bottom blade.....then it revs up all by it-self in 2-3 minutes >_< still. I haven't had an issue with it not obeying controls in the air at all, it hovers dead still at the correct throttle ticks.
brandn14 is offline Find More Posts by brandn14
Old Jan 08, 2011, 01:52 AM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
31 Posts
Just got mine

Some years ago I built a Trex 450. Managed to get a tail in hover but after many crashes I could not get any further and eventually sold the whole lot.

The Blade 400 caught my eye and I considered getting it specially seeing that it came with DX6i radio. I then figured that it would be just as challenging and frustrating as the Trex 450.

After reading the great posts here I went out and bought the MCX2 today ($113.50 out the door).

Got straight into a tail in hover very easily but now have to spend the time mastering head in and side on hovers. I am looking forward to doing some proper indoor flying, getting the interest back and then maybe getting back into the CP helis.

Thanks all of you who have posted here in helping make the decision!!
samsat is offline Find More Posts by samsat
Old Jan 08, 2011, 03:22 AM
Joined Sep 2009
117 Posts
I'm an in-door heli guy : ) though honestly I'd love to fly all types and scale heli's outside, it's inconvenient where I live.

I never intended to learn my way up into bigger helis. I primarly really enjoy working on making my heli's fly better with the in-door environment : ). That's why, I bought the mCX2 as my 3rd indoor helicopter instead of opting to buy bigger machines which I'm sure I would love if given the space to fly it more conveniently. I absolutely LOVE the mCX2. Don't get me wrong, I love my mSR as well but it's like a porsche on crack. I really enjoy pulling 45 degree banks in the house but sometimes I want to just fly comfortable while sleeping on the floor for example or just have my mCX2 sit in mid-air in the kitchen while I think about what to eat. So, those who chose mCX2 for a beginner heli... will be stuck in a long loving relationship with helis from now on....
brandn14 is offline Find More Posts by brandn14
Old Jan 08, 2011, 06:20 PM
Cumming, GA
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsat View Post
Some years ago I built a Trex 450. Managed to get a tail in hover but after many crashes I could not get any further and eventually sold the whole lot.

The Blade 400 caught my eye and I considered getting it specially seeing that it came with DX6i radio. I then figured that it would be just as challenging and frustrating as the Trex 450.

After reading the great posts here I went out and bought the MCX2 today ($113.50 out the door).

Got straight into a tail in hover very easily but now have to spend the time mastering head in and side on hovers. I am looking forward to doing some proper indoor flying, getting the interest back and then maybe getting back into the CP helis.

Thanks all of you who have posted here in helping make the decision!!

Agreed......This MCX2 was just the ticket for me also. I had (still have) the original Blade CP from 4-5yrs ago and just never got the hang of it (indoors), but finally have a great outdoor place (MiddleSchool football field) now. The MCX2 gets your brain thinking in the right directions and is much easier. I will admit my wife has asked me to keep it out of the kitchen while she is cooking dinner. :-) .......... And with the 120 battery giving me 6.5mins, 150 about 8.5mins, its great. (I just set the DX7 timer for a 6min count-down, giving me 30seconds to land before the power decrease impacts the heli).
kaamacat is offline Find More Posts by kaamacat
Old Jan 08, 2011, 07:52 PM
United States, NJ, Matawan
Joined Dec 2010
31 Posts
I just got a mCX2 today, and I have to say it is far and away more stable than my nine eagles bravo III. just a quick question - is the 150mah battery much bigger in size than the 120? I've heard of problems with the larger battery interfering with gears... would someone be able to take a quick picture with a 150mah batter installed in the heli to demonstrate the size difference?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Also, does the stock charger that came included charge the 150mah?
MiStro17 is offline Find More Posts by MiStro17
Last edited by MiStro17; Jan 08, 2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: added a question
Old Jan 08, 2011, 09:36 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,396 Posts
I run ThunderPower 150MaH/25C batteries in mine. They do *not* sit all the way forward in the battery cage but rather more or less centered in it - just rearward of where they'd be running into the servo gears. Seems to balance just fine there.

I use the stock charger on them and, though I've never measured it, it seems to work just fine and they provide me with longer flight times than the stock batts.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jan 09, 2011, 08:37 AM
Cumming, GA
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
I run ThunderPower 150MaH/25C batteries in mine. They do *not* sit all the way forward in the battery cage but rather more or less centered in it - just rearward of where they'd be running into the servo gears. Seems to balance just fine there.

I use the stock charger on them and, though I've never measured it, it seems to work just fine and they provide me with longer flight times than the stock batts.
The 150, even it stopped just at the front body section will not touch the gears. So far I'm getting 2minutes more from the 150 vs the stock 120.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:00 PM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiStro17 View Post
I've heard of problems with the larger battery interfering with gears... would someone be able to take a quick picture with a 150mah batter installed in the heli to demonstrate the size difference?
Also, does the stock charger that came included charge the 150mah?
The stock charger will charge the 150 mah battery no problem.
My eflight 150 Mah came with a black spacer that goes on the battery to prevent it from going in too far and hitting the servo motor or gear.
When I used the 150 without the spacer i was getting a buzzing sound from the servo motor. I found the back of the battery was touching the servo.
Installed the spacer and no more problems.
jtravel is offline Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:02 PM
United States, NJ, Matawan
Joined Dec 2010
31 Posts
Quote:
The stock charger will charge the 150 mah battery no problem.
My eflight 150 Mah came with a black spacer that goes on the battery to prevent it from going in too far and hitting the servo motor or gear.
When I used the 150 without the spacer i was getting a buzzing sound from the servo motor. I found the back of the battery was touching the servo.
Installed the spacer and no more problems.
Where did you purchase the battery from that it came with the spacer?
MiStro17 is offline Find More Posts by MiStro17
Old Jan 09, 2011, 06:05 PM
Cumming, GA
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
I picked mine up at the same place as my MCX2 (HobbyTownUSA). The "spacer" is nothing more than what looks to be a cut piece of thin tubing. I actually resembles heat shrink tubing. (I cut mine to be a bit shorter, as when it was on the battery the heli was a tad heavy on the rear side)
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:00 PM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,803 Posts
Quote:
Local hobby shop had them with the spacer in the package.
You can make your own spacer with tape or heat shrink tube if you have the right size.
jtravel is offline Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:19 AM
Joined Jan 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldFart View Post
I've crashed mine dozens of times,including a really hard one last week and have sustained no damage. One thing that you can check is to make sure that the battery isn't touching the servo gear. The manual warns about that. Mine doesn't contact when the battery is in the entire way, but there are tolerances. Other than that, it could be a bad connection or the linkage binding with one of the wires out of place.
Many thanks for the replies. Yes I did ensure that the battery isn't fouling the servo gears, noticed that in the manual, and this still happens even with the battery out. Could be a bad connection, which I hope would be covered under warranty, not sure about this linkage binding though, or how I would sort that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
Another thing to check is to make sure the motors are meshing with the gears. In a crash, the motor can slip down and cause it to not be connecting well with the gears. The glue they use to hold the motor in place isn't very good and a good jolt can break it lose.
I would think that if this happened, I'd still hear/see the motor turning though wouldn't I? I hear nothing at all. One thing I did notice though, if I touch the servo assembly I do hear some brief noises, like it's trying to adjust itself.

I think a call to the manufacturer is in order....

Cheers,
N.
nedski is offline Find More Posts by nedski
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:23 AM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedski View Post
Many thanks for the replies. Yes I did ensure that the battery isn't fouling the servo gears, noticed that in the manual, and this still happens even with the battery out. Could be a bad connection, which I hope would be covered under warranty, not sure about this linkage binding though, or how I would sort that?

I would think that if this happened, I'd still hear/see the motor turning though wouldn't I? I hear nothing at all. One thing I did notice though, if I touch the servo assembly I do hear some brief noises, like it's trying to adjust itself.

I think a call to the manufacturer is in order....

Cheers,
N.
You probably wouldn't hear anything if it was jammed. Easy way to check if the motor has slipped is pull the front cover off, Hold onto the top and push up from the bottom and see if anything pops into place. It doesn't take much force. If it does, then you know that was the problem. Good Luck.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay