HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2011, 06:39 PM
Joined Nov 2010
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiStro17 View Post
Has anyone flown the mCX2 with the carbon fiber training kit attached? Does the extra weight have a bad adverse effect on flight? I would love to buy the mCX2, but I'm still very new to flying 4 channel heli's and I don't want to ruin my investment in the first few days...
The mCX2 is nearly indestructible. I have crashed both my 2 S107's and my mCX2 many times and haven't broken anything yet. I was flying the mCX2 outside last week and a gust of wind caught it and crashed it squarely into a big tree. It knocked the front canopy lose and the battery out of the battery tray, but nothing dented or broken and it is flying fine. Forget the training kit for the mCX2.
TheOldFart is offline Find More Posts by TheOldFart
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2011, 06:49 PM
Throttle-Hold Expert
Spokane
Joined Jan 2009
564 Posts
Training gear for the MCX2 would be toothpicks and popped popcorn on the ends!
sv1000s is offline Find More Posts by sv1000s
Old Jan 06, 2011, 08:13 PM
Joined Sep 2009
115 Posts
auto start-up

My MCX2, does auto engine start after I give the throttle a little nudge. As each second goes by.......i can the motors turning up faster and faster. It's super awesome and looks like the real deal....

I was wondering if anyone else's helicopter does the same. I have an mSR and the rescue tandem, and none of them are this cool with an auto-start up.

In fact, if I can keep the skids from losing friction as the blades turn faster and faster, the helicopter could fly itself literally.
brandn14 is offline Find More Posts by brandn14
Old Jan 06, 2011, 08:16 PM
Throttle-Hold Expert
Spokane
Joined Jan 2009
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandn14 View Post
My MCX2, does auto engine start after I give the throttle a little nudge. As each second goes by.......i can the motors turning up faster and faster. It's super awesome and looks like the real deal....

I was wondering if anyone else's helicopter does the same. I have an mSR and the rescue tandem, and none of them are this cool with an auto-start up.

In fact, if I can keep the skids from losing friction as the blades turn faster and faster, the helicopter could fly itself literally.
I do not comprehend you.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 08:28 PM
Joined Sep 2009
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1000s View Post
I do not comprehend you.
Sorry for not being clear about it. Let me try to explain it again.

When I fly my mSR and Tandem Rescue, I simple throttle up and it goes up into the air......with my MCX2, I have a second option to start the helicopter.

My MCX2 will do an "auto-start up" by itself......if I give the throttle a little nudge. At first you hear the motors...but the blades are still......after 10 seconds the motors have enough momentum to spin the blade. It spins slowly and goes faster and faster in the span of 3 or more minutes. This "auto-start up" continues until you hear the helicopter rev itself up almost like a real helicopter in real life. I can literally sit there and watch it all happen in 3-4 minutes time depending on how much of a nudge I gave it intially. I love to watch it like this and I realized that....if the skid did not slide from the ground.....my helicopter could also fly by itself - I'm not joking T.T. It doens't fly by itself b/c the skids slide on the table causing for the blade to stop building momentum and lose speed...

I find it very weird but I love this feature. If I want to stop "auto-start", I just need to throttle up like my mSR and the Tandem Rescue, and fly it regularly. I didn't read a thing about this in any of the mCX2 reviews or even the promo video from Horizon Hobby. I've been flying these micros for a long time, and so I was wondering if you guys have this same feature or is my board some lucky board????
Old Jan 06, 2011, 09:05 PM
2012 ZX14R ....faster than you
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,769 Posts
Quote:
Sorry for not being clear about it. Let me try to explain it again.

When I fly my mSR and Tandem Rescue, I simple throttle up and it goes up into the air......with my MCX2, I have a second option to start the helicopter.

My MCX2 will do an "auto-start up" by itself......if I give the throttle a little nudge. At first you hear the motors...but the blades are still......after 10 seconds the motors have enough momentum to spin the blade. It spins slowly and goes faster and faster in the span of 3 or more minutes. This "auto-start up" continues until you hear the helicopter rev itself up almost like a real helicopter in real life. I can literally sit there and watch it all happen in 3-4 minutes time depending on how much of a nudge I gave it intially. I love to watch it like this and I realized that....if the skid did not slide from the ground.....my helicopter could also fly by itself - I'm not joking T.T. It doens't fly by itself b/c the skids slide on the table causing for the blade to stop building momentum and lose speed...

I find it very weird but I love this feature. If I want to stop "auto-start", I just need to throttle up like my mSR and the Tandem Rescue, and fly it regularly. I didn't read a thing about this in any of the mCX2 reviews or even the promo video from Horizon Hobby. I've been flying these micros for a long time, and so I was wondering if you guys have this same feature or is my board some lucky board????
Is your throttle trim a few clicks below neutral or all the down? I'm glad you like the characteristic you described, but to me there is something definitely not right
CCbusa05 is offline Find More Posts by CCbusa05
Old Jan 06, 2011, 09:15 PM
Throttle-Hold Expert
Spokane
Joined Jan 2009
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbusa05 View Post
Is your throttle trim a few clicks below neutral or all the down? I'm glad you like the characteristic you described, but to me there is something definitely not right
Yah, sounds like slipping pinions/spur gears....
Old Jan 06, 2011, 11:11 PM
Joined Sep 2009
115 Posts
Quote:
Yah, sounds like slipping pinions/spur gears....
Throttle is all down. The gears and pinions seem to contact fine w/o slipping. When I fly it normally, it stays at the altitude I want and maintains it well. It flies like a regular mCX would...and performs well.

It's just when I put in the battery......decide to let it auto-rev by nudging the throttle juuuusttt a bitttt.... wait and watch it start up.......it will auto-rev. At anytime during the auto-rev I can take full control, or rev-it up fulll speed, or completely disable it from performing this auto-start. But the sound it makes sounds like a jet engine slowly starting up or the EH101 starting up.....it's really beautiful. I actually don't want it "fixed" by any means b/c I can intervene whenever I want and stop it. However, I'd really like to know how this can be simulated on another Mcx2 if I get a second one. Any other ideas why this does the awesome auto engine start?
Old Jan 06, 2011, 11:57 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,097 Posts
Installed the Carbon Fiber Tail Boom

I picked up the Carbon Fiber Tail Boom and snip the LED harness to remove the rear LED. Then simply relocated it to the main canopy. Pretty easy task.

I picked a spot near the rear body mount holes. Because of this, I had to extend the red and orange wires that goes between the left and right LED.

This is to be able to route the wires and avoid binding any servo or gears. I taped the LED boards to each of the new holes I made. The wires ran along the top of the canopy so everything is out of the way and neat. You can't see the horizontal wire through the window so it's nice and tidy.

If you choose a location for the lights closer to the front of the canopy, you won't have to lengthen the wires like I did.

Here's the bird with the lights and carbon fiber boom installed:

And another shot with the fill lights on.

I initially got the tail shaking as reported. I found that the tail can go in even more than I thought it could go. I put some force on it and it went in deeper. Now it's very little to no shaking of the tail.

Moving the weight forward give me better forward flight. Now I am starting to have some fun.

-Daryoon
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 06, 2011, 11:59 PM
Puyallup, wa.
Joined Dec 2010
50 Posts
training gear...

Quote:
Training gear for the MCX2 would be toothpicks and popped popcorn on the ends!
I found some carbon fiber training gear for mine on ebay.
jeffpack1957 is offline Find More Posts by jeffpack1957
Old Jan 07, 2011, 06:00 AM
Cumming, GA
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpack1957 View Post
I found some carbon fiber training gear for mine on ebay.
When ya do get it (the kit), watch out for two things. First being the little balancing ends are styrofoam balls....correction ball. They are very easy to accidentally nudge off. The second being, when you slide the bars into the center section it may take some carefull force (careful because that center is fragile) to get the sticks to meet in the middle.
kaamacat is offline Find More Posts by kaamacat
Old Jan 07, 2011, 06:15 AM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Throttle is all down. The gears and pinions seem to contact fine w/o slipping. When I fly it normally, it stays at the altitude I want and maintains it well. It flies like a regular mCX would...and performs well.
Where do you have your throttle trim set at?
When the throttle trim is set to neutral the MCX2 has the tendance to apply alittle throttle to the heli causing the blades to spin.
A little nudge on the throttle like you describe would cause the blades to spin.
It is recommended to set the throttle trim to atleast a couple click negative to prevent this from happening.
I know you like it and think its cool but understand you run the risk of throttle being applied if you crash.
This can cause motor and or ECS damage when the blades are contacting a hard object and throttle is applied.
jtravel is offline Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Jan 07, 2011, 06:26 AM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
I picked up the Carbon Fiber Tail Boom and snip the LED harness to remove the rear LED. Then simply relocated it to the main canopy. Pretty easy task.
-Daryoon
Thats really neat looking.

You can buy the replacement led light set for $5.99 rather than rip the existing one out of the tail fuselage.
http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...rodID=EFLH2404
that way when you use the full fuseladge you can use all three led lights in it.
jtravel is offline Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Jan 07, 2011, 11:07 AM
Joined Jan 2011
4 Posts
Total noob RC flier here, so please be gentle...
Chose the mCX2 for my first foray into the RC world... turned up today and felt like a kid again opening the box of my new toy

Anyway, got all set up, read the manual, tested it out, all working fine. However at some point during my very first test flight (with the expected minor crashes & collisions from a first timer) I noticed the aileron servo stopped responding. Nothing happens at all if I move the right hand stick left and right. I can still fly it using the rudder and elevators ok, but no side motion... luckily it hovers pretty well.

Can I really have broken it in my first flight so easily or is it possible it could be faulty? Is this sort of damage/fault expected from minor crashes?
Anyone have any advice about things I can try to get it working again or diagnose exactly what might be wrong with it? I've rebound it to the controller and had a look for any loose connections but I can't see any.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks.
N.
nedski is offline Find More Posts by nedski
Old Jan 07, 2011, 11:36 AM
Joined Nov 2010
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedski View Post
Total noob RC flier here, so please be gentle...
Chose the mCX2 for my first foray into the RC world... turned up today and felt like a kid again opening the box of my new toy

Anyway, got all set up, read the manual, tested it out, all working fine. However at some point during my very first test flight (with the expected minor crashes & collisions from a first timer) I noticed the aileron servo stopped responding. Nothing happens at all if I move the right hand stick left and right. I can still fly it using the rudder and elevators ok, but no side motion... luckily it hovers pretty well.

Can I really have broken it in my first flight so easily or is it possible it could be faulty? Is this sort of damage/fault expected from minor crashes?
Anyone have any advice about things I can try to get it working again or diagnose exactly what might be wrong with it? I've rebound it to the controller and had a look for any loose connections but I can't see any.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks.
N.
I've crashed mine dozens of times,including a really hard one last week and have sustained no damage. One thing that you can check is to make sure that the battery isn't touching the servo gear. The manual warns about that. Mine doesn't contact when the battery is in the entire way, but there are tolerances. Other than that, it could be a bad connection or the linkage binding with one of the wires out of place.
TheOldFart is offline Find More Posts by TheOldFart