HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:58 PM
Joined May 2010
900 Posts
Never flew a heli before today.
I am having a ball with this thing though.

Never new these little things were so fun!
Deadstick 8409 is offline Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:05 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,008 Posts
Nice, but now I am more interested in that transmitter
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Jul 24, 2010, 03:04 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
2,990 Posts
wow, whats going on with that funky transmitter? It only has one stick, whats the go there?
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old Jul 24, 2010, 03:16 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,644 Posts
Looks like he's put a DX6 or DX7 in it's own custom case.
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Jul 24, 2010, 03:23 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
2,990 Posts
cant be as it only has one stick, have another close look at it. Its really weird.
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old Jul 24, 2010, 03:32 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,644 Posts
I think he has changed the axis with a rotation on the big stick and the 4th axis to the left. I would guess the big stick has elev ail and rudd control (rotate the stick for rudder). And the throttle looks to be operated to the left of the stick.
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Jul 24, 2010, 02:36 PM
120sr, MQX, MSR X
CT
Joined Apr 2010
144 Posts
Old school single stick transmitter with homebrew electronics inside. The knob on the top of the stick twists back and forth like the wheel on a car transmitter to control the rudder function.

Very cool and retro.
maddmaxx is offline Find More Posts by maddmaxx
Old Jul 24, 2010, 02:58 PM
Joined May 2010
900 Posts
LOL, that transmitter case is an old ace Olympic V, the encoder is a microstar2000 kit, an INCREDIBLE device designed by Gordon Anderson, the rf deck is a spektrum 8 channel. The joystick is an industrial part from ebay. The old ace stick was too worn out!) Digital trims, yada yada...
Similar to this one:
http://www.mstar2k.com/index.php?opt...ures&Itemid=53
The thing is, it has more resolution than anything out there, 12 bit
= 4096 step. Very precise/cool. To bad I am a 6 bit pilot! Completely customizable to your hearts content.
All forms of programing, including extensive helicopter stuff that I don't have the foggiest idea how to use.
100 model memory too!

EDIT: If you build one, it does not have to be single stick, but I love single stick once I got used to it. The throttle is on the right side of the case, and is tickled by your left index finger.
Last edited by Deadstick 8409; Jul 24, 2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 03:06 PM
120sr, MQX, MSR X
CT
Joined Apr 2010
144 Posts
I remember the old days of building the radio equipment.............and the planes. Back when BNF was build n fly.............
maddmaxx is offline Find More Posts by maddmaxx
Old Jul 24, 2010, 04:50 PM
Mr. Magoo's Co-Pilot
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2009
1,079 Posts
Deadstick that's amazing! If configured right your one stick wonder would be great for a single arm amputee who wanted to get into RC
GRUMPEE is offline Find More Posts by GRUMPEE
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:00 PM
Joined May 2010
900 Posts
Yes, there are plenty of handicapped folks using a single stick. A shame really that a major manufacture does not make them anymore. If someone is serious about rc and has a handicap, they are forced to custom units. They used to be all the rage quite a while ago, many contest were won on single stick units.
I can see they may be tough for 3D flying, no one seems to be doing that with them. But they lend themselves quite well to sport and pattern flying, and helicopters.
More reading:
http://www.singlestickstuff.com/history.php
Old Jul 31, 2010, 02:48 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Hey guys, I searched around and couldn't find this reported anywhere, but I picked up an MCX2 today and am getting 1 to 2 minute flight times before it drops down to ground effects. I removed the body and checked for binding in the linkages, bad gear alignment on the motors, etc. and all looks fine. I get about 30 seconds of good, strong flying and then it starts wimping out until it'll barely hover in GE. I have 3 batteries (also have an MCX and MsR) and get the same results on all 3. I know it's not the batteries or charger because they fly my MCX and MsR just fine. If anyone has run across this let me know, as it is I think I may have to take it to the LHS Monday and swap it out. Based on the 30 seconds or so of good flying, it seems to be a significant improvement over the MCX.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:49 AM
Joined Jul 2009
423 Posts
can't flyi? stopped?
Cici528 is offline Find More Posts by Cici528
Old Jul 31, 2010, 09:52 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Flew it a few more times this morning, all flights timed. 50 seconds to 90 seconds of good flying before it gets so weak that it drops to GE while at WOT. I took one of the batteries and popped it in my MCX (without recharging it, just straight from the MCX2 to the MCX) and flew it for 4:06, so clearly it's not the batteries, there's something wrong with the heli. Looks like it's destined to go back to the LHS. It's really odd, it flies fine other than the short run times and it sounds just like my MCX, I can't imagine what the problem is.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Aug 01, 2010, 06:28 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
Hey guys, I searched around and couldn't find this reported anywhere, but I picked up an MCX2 today and am getting 1 to 2 minute flight times before it drops down to ground effects. I removed the body and checked for binding in the linkages, bad gear alignment on the motors, etc. and all looks fine. I get about 30 seconds of good, strong flying and then it starts wimping out until it'll barely hover in GE. I have 3 batteries (also have an MCX and MsR) and get the same results on all 3. I know it's not the batteries or charger because they fly my MCX and MsR just fine. If anyone has run across this let me know, as it is I think I may have to take it to the LHS Monday and swap it out. Based on the 30 seconds or so of good flying, it seems to be a significant improvement over the MCX.
If this is a BAND NEW mcx2, it needs to be boxed up and taken right back where it came from!!!!! Don't go nuts trying to fix something that has a warranty on it. TAKE IT BACK!!!!!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack