SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:22 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
Checking now sir
Collar is fine unfortuantely. Even though the screw doesn't go completely tight, this might be normal.

The problem is defintely with the motor mount. I might be able to make a temp fix with a bit of manipulation with heat and some glue never goes a miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
So sorry to hear that the new motors didn't solve your problem. Perhaps it is a warp frame creating too much pressure on it after all. Sounds like you'll have the pressure of completely tearing your mCX2 down and rebuilding it from scratch. Good luck to you, sir.
Thanks. I did a complete strip down yesterday to make sure it wasn't a cracked shaft so replacing the frame is no biggy. Just annoying that I didn't realise before getting the motors. It might have been a dud motor that caused the problem so replacements were probably neccessary anyway. Just wish I had known to order the frame at the same time as they are only 4 and now I won't get it until after the weekend.
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Last edited by SR120 fan; Dec 07, 2012 at 07:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:38 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
SR120 Where you have been gone for a bit, please bring us (me) up to date again. Sorry. Did you crash this hard resulting in you taking it down to replace anything? One thing is for sure, the top rotor OR motor sounds like crap. This is why I asked if you felt the motors right after spin-up.

Some close up pictures of what HP is talking about would be awesome. Turn the blades a half turn between pics so we can get a good look at the pinion gears and their shafts. Also the whole motor(s) positioning.

Mike.

EDIT:WHOA, I just thought of something. What if this is a case of "frame warp, ala overheating" syndrome.
Posted Dec 1. Post# 2526.

I hate quoting myself

Mike

PS: Like I say to everyone....BUY AN MCX
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:19 AM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I want one, but the heli only, why don't they sell ALL their heli's in BNF as well as RTF? Last thing I need is another "cheapo" Tx and slow charger.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:56 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
I want one, but the heli only, why don't they sell ALL their heli's in BNF as well as RTF? Last thing I need is another "cheapo" Tx and slow charger.
Well, one option would be to buy the RTF and then sell the charger and TX on ebay. You could probably find people here at RCG who would buy the TX so that they can use it as a parts donor to give their Turnigy 9x DSM2 capability (like I did).

Or you could find an MCX on ebay that is just the heli.

Or you could buy the parts and build one up from scratch. I've done this with a MCX2 and a MSR and it's actually pretty rewarding when you get it all together and it flies well.

My preference is still the MCX2 (I've got 3!) It's faster and more fun, IMHO. Still, that being said, I do have 3 MCXs as well. One I turned into an S300, the other sports a MCX2 swash & flybar and the 3rd is stock.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:56 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,662 Posts
Quote:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...x-bnf-EFLH2280

Mike.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:48 PM
Joined Sep 2012
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Posted Dec 1. Post# 2526.

I hate quoting myself

Mike

PS: Like I say to everyone....BUY AN MCX
It would appear that someone is a clever chappy

I'm sorry. I should have replied to this earlier as you would have probably solved it and saved me time and money but I had a manic week.

You just can't see anything obvious though, such as stress from the heat but I should have clicked anyway as you only have to ram a small flat headed screw driver in behind the motor in question and it connects perfectly. It originally looked like it was connecting anyway, thats why I was so convinced it was the motor. It was also squealing. So diagnosis is over heated motor induced frame warp. Try saying that after a few drinks
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:51 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Quote:

I'm sorry. I should have replied to this earlier as you would have probably solved it and saved me time and money but I had a manic week.

You just can't see anything obvious though, such as stress from the heat but I should have clicked anyway as you only have to ram a small flat headed screw driver in behind the motor in question and it connects perfectly. It originally looked like it was connecting anyway, thats why I was so convinced it was the motor. It was also squealing. So diagnosis is over heated motor induced frame warp. Try saying that after a few drinks
Ya know, in the meantime, since its not flyable anyways, you could take the motors off and see if you can reheat the area and bend it back out a bit. Just a thought.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Sep 2012
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
Ya know, in the meantime, since its not flyable anyways, you could take the motors off and see if you can reheat the area and bend it back out a bit. Just a thought.
That's exactly what I was going to do today and then I got dragged shopping with the wife. The cheek!

She's dyeing her hair now so Im going to give it a quick go
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Sep 2012
454 Posts
Wahoo success

It's not perfect and im worried that I might do a bit of damage to the big gear because of grinding but she now flies. By the end of the flight it had got worse so will need more work but it was great to be flying it again. I forgot how zippy it is compared with my syma.

I won't over do it, but will have the odd go until the new frame gets here. Im thinking maybe the frame was always out of shape and possibly the motor is over heating because of the extra stress on it which in turn damaged the frame more. Maybe not. Who knows?

Good stuff anyway
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
Bnf mcx2?

Quote:
Buy a BNF MCX2? like this..
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/E-Fl...p/eflh2480.htm

Or the MCX
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/E-Fl...p/eflh2280.htm
E.Marquez is offline Find More Posts by E.Marquez
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:49 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,662 Posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:09 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Marquez View Post
The mcx is unavailable..you'd be really lucky finding one.
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:15 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,280 Posts
Quote:

I suspected a heat warped frame when I first started reading of your woes... when I saw that no one was mentioning it I assumed it must have already been discussed, troubleshooted and ruled out. It wasn't until Mike made his post that I realized no one had even brought it up. My reply to his post was to mention that a heat warped frame makes the pinion warp away from the spur gear and disengage... you had said it was too tight You more recently stated that was wrong and it in fact was disengaging. So, yeah, there you go
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:17 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
Many have done this successfully.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:25 AM
Joined Sep 2012
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Many have done this successfully.
I am going to give this a really good go today. I need to find my magic glue which seems to have dissapeared as it has a slight split at the front now from all my fiddling. I think this migh be all it needs as the heat warping I deliberately did seems pretty much spot on. Pure luck I must add but hey.