SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:25 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,487 Posts
We are doing fine. We were just wondering if you were putting life and real work before your hobby and us.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:47 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
That is so weird as today is the first time I have been able to log on in ages because of college and I still have that problem with my mCX2 and need more advice lol

If you remember I was having issues with my lower blade grinding on the motor gear. Well I took the canopy apart and the gear spins freely on its own and so does the blade. Just not together. I have tried moving the motor but everything looks in place. I have checked for grit and stuff.

How's everyone doing?
He's Alive!!! He's Alive!!!

Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Last edited by Jake8131; Nov 30, 2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:02 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
When one of my motors went out, it sounded like it was grinding. If you moved it off the gears and it as you spun it with your fingers, you could hear a clicking sound coming from the motor. replacing it fixed the problem for me.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:25 PM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
We are doing fine. We were just wondering if you were putting life and real work before your hobby and us.
'Real life' has been annoyingly getting in the way but I've only got to get through to the 14th December and then I have a month off and will well and truely catch up with what I have been missing. At the peril of my helis I expect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
He's Alive!!! He's Alive!!!

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
When one of my motors went out, it sounded like it was grinding. If you moved it off the gears and it as you spun it with your fingers, you could hear a clicking sound coming from the motor. replacing it fixed the problem for me.
It's weird as there is no noise or doesn't seem to be a problem when the motor is spun on it's own or when the big gear is spun on it's own. Just when they are together there is slipping and I can't figure out why. It has hardly been flown. I will get hold of some lubricant that people have been recommending and give that a try.

It's nice to have been missed. Or is it just that I make everyone feel better about their own flying skills?
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:45 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,241 Posts
Quote:
'Real life' has been annoyingly getting in the way but I've only got to get through to the 14th December and then I have a month off and will well and truely catch up with what I have been missing. At the peril of my helis I expect

LOL

It's weird as there is no noise or doesn't seem to be a problem when the motor is spun on it's own or when the big gear is spun on it's own. Just when they are together there is slipping and I can't figure out why. It has hardly been flown. I will get hold of some lubricant that people have been recommending and give that a try.

It's nice to have been missed. Or is it just that I make everyone feel better about their own flying skills?
DELETE>>>>wrong thread

Good Luck,
Mike
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Last edited by Chap1012; Nov 30, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
When the blades are "spinning up" the rotors have a tendency to lift, thus, lifting the gear position. This is why you don't hear unusual noises..lol. Grab all the lower gears with your thumb and index finger once you have pulled up on the center of the outer shaft. Now grasp and push down together holding the lower gear nice and tight. You want to "squeeze" the mid section of the outer shaft down. This should take the slop out of the gears and get them back in align...I hope

Good Luck,
Mike
OK I'm going to give this a go now.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:07 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,243 Posts
Quote:
OK I'm going to give this a go now.
Belay that order..

With no power on..can you lift the inner shaft up and down.
There should be very little to no play in the inner shaft.
Are the gears turn level..no warping? I have had one with a warped lower gear.
Could you post a good closeup pics with the canopy off?
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:45 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,538 Posts
If you are looking for something VERY different, check these out:
http://www.steampunkairport.com/Products.html
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Well I finally managed to put it back together after accidently unplugging the motors and then plugging them back in the wrong way so the rotors spun in the opposite direction as they are meant to lol

It seemed to work. For a bit. There was still noise and friction at very low speed which went but after a couple of minutes of good flight there was the grinding noise and down she gently went again.

I'm not sure I followed the directions currently regarding holding onto the mid section of the outer shaft so I will give it another go but it was definitely a positve improvement as that's the first time it has been in the air in probably three weeks. So thanks

I will give it another try in the morning. I still have a three channel Syma to keep me entertained but I forgot how nippy the mCX2 is in comparison. A great heli when I get it to work.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Belay that order..

I've only just seen this.

When I had the canopy off I was a little concerned that the top gear (which is the problem one) or the little motor gear is a bit warped/bent. I will take some close ups tomorrow or a video to see if anyone when can spot anything.

Cheers for the help
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
It seems that both gears are warped. But it is only the top one that is causing the problem. Im starting to get a little worried that if I keep using it i am going to ruin the big gear.

Another thing that I noticed was that the shaft was so low it was actually making contact with the top of the battery holder. I don't know if that would make much of a difference. It was possible to raise the shaft up a bit.

I will borrow my wifes phone in the morning as she is on nights at the moment and try to get some good pics or better a video of the gears spinning.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:49 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Sounds like you probably just bent the inner shaft and that is what is causing them both to be warped. probably just have to get you a new inner shaft, it is pretty easy to replace it.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
Sounds like you probably just bent the inner shaft and that is what is causing them both to be warped. probably just have to get you a new inner shaft, it is pretty easy to replace it.
If you think that explains everything then replacing the inner shaft is kind of a relief. Ive pretty much replaced everything that can be replaced on my 120SR so I don't mind getting the screw driver out. I just don't know how it happened as it is pretty much brand new and has suffered minimum trauma.

I won't moan to the vendor as they did send me out a new battery without any fuss even though I probably should do. There is also a little chance that I may have caused it
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:33 AM
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Belay that order..

Should I just post a pic or do a video as you can't really tell the degree of warping without the gears being spun?
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:37 AM
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
I have recorded a vid but I am having trouble uploading it. Everytime I try it comes up with a connection problem. I will keep trying. It isn't very good anyway as I had to use my elbow on the tx lol.

Someone might be able to spot something.