HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:21 AM
Joined Nov 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
It's not a matter of would it work, but more... why bother? What are you hoping to accomplish by having them off during the day? They're not hurting anything, they draw next to nothing for current for a 6min run. If you ran them for a solid continuous hour they'd use no more than about 5% (say even 10% which I don't think is likely) of a stock mcx2 battery... that's an entire hour... you'd be running it 6mins max.

Why bother? Why bother with any mod? To have fun with the hobby. And to make them FAA aproved off in the day and on at night. Its about having fun. I am not concerned about saving batteries. I have Thunder Power 160 mah I run and already fly til 7 mins on these and there is still an extra minute in them at that I beleive.
joejoeyjojo is offline Find More Posts by joejoeyjojo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:25 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,264 Posts
Ok, just asking, didn't see the point. You ask "why bother with any mod?" ... well most of them have some point... I didn't see what yours could possibly be, other than what I wrote about.

Valiant will pipe in to answer about the non blinking thing... it's in his mods thread...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1504277
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:00 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,877 Posts
It's all about aesthetics.

Welcome to the forums, joejoeyjojo!!!

Let us know what you find out.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:14 AM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoeyjojo View Post
Why bother? Why bother with any mod? To have fun with the hobby. And to make them FAA aproved off in the day and on at night. Its about having fun. I am not concerned about saving batteries. I have Thunder Power 160 mah I run and already fly til 7 mins on these and there is still an extra minute in them at that I beleive.
Exactly! I do all sorts of stuff to my many various RC vehicles. The "why bother" part???? I don't understand that attitude here??? Why even "bother" with these things that the rest of the world calls toys? Because we LIKE it!!!
I am a little dissapointed in the response you got there, especially as it is your first or second post only! Don't get discouraged. You will find that there are TONS of folks on here doing all sorts of "crazy" things to thier RC's, for no other reason than "BECAUSE ITS THERE" LOL
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:30 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
A quick question before I take her apart for the first time. My lower blade seems to be 'grinding' like the 'pinion'? if that's what you call it (the tiny gear coming off the motor from what I can see) is freezing up? Is this the motor, bearing or something else? The top blade spins freely.

Any ideas. I haven't been rough with her at all. It just happened mid flight.
You could possibly have a tiny piece of dirt caught in the pinion gear or the larger gear. I keep "all" my gears clean using first a brass .050" Dia. brush. Then I dab a bit of plastic safe lube on the gears (Break Free CLP). I give the gears another brushing with an artists type brush and remove any excess lube with a gun cleaning patch (lint free).

Last month I was flying my Champ and the prop jammed after a little mishap It turned out to be a tiny pebble/dirt caught in the gear. You couldn't even see it with the naked eye OR a lighted magnifier.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Hey guys. I just got one of these little helis on Sunday. I flew it a couple times but had trouble with it flying forwards and backwards, and making some funny noises. Turns out that the battery when inserted all the way in like the manual say, hits and jams up the little gear that makes the forward and backward movement possible. To remedy this I leave the battery hanging out about 1/4" and I'm now able to get decent FFF, though I'm a little disappointed about this apparent flaw in the design.

I was able to fly it once or twice more before it started "spazzing out" mid flight. Here is a brief video I took to show you what I mean. It seems to get worse as flight time continues. I've checked to see if any wires were snagging the gears but everything is fine, I've even flown it with no body to make sure that wasn't the issue either. In the video I'm only giving it throttle to lift it up.

Is anyone else having issues like this? You can also see the tail start to stutter back and forth when hovering, but this is not visible in the video.
nnamssorxela is offline Find More Posts by nnamssorxela
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:26 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Something is still hitting the gears or its possible that one of the motors has slipped down some and is not making good contact with the gear. A hard crash with this heli can pop the glue that is holding the motor and the motor can slip. Look at the motor and gears and make sure they are even
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:33 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
Exactly! I do all sorts of stuff to my many various RC vehicles. The "why bother" part???? I don't understand that attitude here??? Why even "bother" with these things that the rest of the world calls toys? Because we LIKE it!!!
I am a little dissapointed in the response you got there, especially as it is your first or second post only! Don't get discouraged. You will find that there are TONS of folks on here doing all sorts of "crazy" things to thier RC's, for no other reason than "BECAUSE ITS THERE" LOL
Oh, come on, man.. people here know me better than that... look at all the shite I've done to mine. I said "why bother" in reference to thinking he must be trying to conserve battery during the day when you can't see the lights... "why bother" meaning that's not necessary... and I explained why.

Lighten up, guys... 2 of you have obviously misunderstood my post... maybe read it again.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2430
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Nov 13, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:44 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
Something is still hitting the gears or its possible that one of the motors has slipped down some and is not making good contact with the gear. A hard crash with this heli can pop the glue that is holding the motor and the motor can slip. Look at the motor and gears and make sure they are even
+1

The only thing I can think ok that will make an mCX2 act like that is if 1 main gear makes temporary contact with the second pioion counter rotating pinion.

Has to be that the motor slipped down a bit and/or the rotor gears are badly warped.
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:54 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoeyjojo View Post
Hi all,

I have seen the mods you can do to keep the navigation lights on solid and had another ideas as I dont want them on in the day. i only want the tail strobe to be going.

So has anyone tried hooking up a light dependent resistor to the two navigation lights that will in effect when there is enough daylight they will not flash but when it gets dark they will?

I might try this soon. Unless someone who knows a bit more about electronics can tell me why it wouldnt work?
Personally I love this idea. Why bother? Because of the cool factor, thats why. Imagine flying in a brightly lit room, then when you fly through the door way to a darker room BAM!!!! the lights automatically come on

Contradictory to the above I also see where North is coming from, though the way he put it may have been a bit harsh. I take pride in my navigation lights and love to look at them day or night, + as North mentioned they dont use much power.

All in all I think I might do this to one of my mCX2s for the cool factor, but I wouldnt equip all of them with light sensors.

EDIT: Where would you get your LDR from though, or do you already have some?

I just had a quick look on ebay and found these, although there is no real telling how big they are and how much they weigh though: http://www.ebay.de/itm/30pcs-5516-GL...item3a790777d1
Last edited by valiantGLX; Nov 13, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
I took it back apart and had a look. The gears don't seem to have warp (spun them around), but the top main gear is super close to the motor gear for the bottom. It even looks like you can see where it hits along the bottom where the plastic seems damaged. I guess the force of the rotors is enough to force it down to make contact? (it does not contact while spun by hand)

Also, the motors are not budging, so I'm not sure why it's happening now (parts starting to wear in perhaps?). I also haven't had any bad crashes, mostly onto my bed sheets or carpet when I cut power after coming too close to a wall. I mean, I've only flown it a handful of times and crashed even less than that.

nnamssorxela is offline Find More Posts by nnamssorxela
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:11 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,877 Posts
I've had that issue before. You should be able to gently push the entire motor down in the frame so that the pinion is no longer so close to the top gear.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:16 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,264 Posts
Ok, guys... it seems I might need to to try to explain myself one more time...

I was trying to read into why he wanted to be able to shut the lights off. I thought he must be trying to conserve battery. He asked "Unless someone who knows a bit more about electronics..." ... I said "why bother?" specifically in reference to trying to conserve battery (which I mistakenly thought was his goal, which he then explained wasn't) and tried to explain electrically why it isn't necessary... the "why bother?"

There was no "attitude" ... I was trying to help.

RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:27 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnamssorxela View Post
Also, the motors are not budging, so I'm not sure why it's happening now (parts starting to wear in perhaps?)
Thats not good take the main gears off, then see if the motors spin freely.

Sounds to be more worn out than worn in Sorry I couldnt resist, I know your mcx2 is new.

Also from your pic it looks like your inner shaft is pretty close to the skids, you should consider adding some canopy grommets in between the skids and main frame.

Check out my modification guide here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1646234

The pic you want to see is in the reverse battery orientation section, the grommets are circled in red.

Reversing your battery orientation may also be something you should consider, you can stick in any length battery then without interfering with the servo gears.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:30 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Ok, guys... it seems I might need to to try to explain myself one more time...

I was trying to read into why he wanted to be able to shut the lights off. I thought he must be trying to conserve battery. He asked "Unless someone who knows a bit more about electronics..." ... I said "why bother?" specifically in reference to trying to conserve battery (which I mistakenly thought was his goal, which he then explained wasn't) and tried to explain electrically why it isn't necessary... the "why bother?"

There was no "attitude" ... I was trying to help.

Dont worry about it, just came out a bit rough is all. Im sure no milk was spilt over it