Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:47 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
Jake,
Where can I get one of those helis. Years ago I had a different Verti-Sim but can't remember what became of it.
Gary
Saw it online somewhere....
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:57 PM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
I am going to send you one of these so you can't worry about losing it!

Haha. If it's movable. I can make it missable. I'm like the David Blaine of the rc heli world
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:39 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,502 Posts
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:01 AM
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
I am having a lot of fun with this heli. Definitely made the right choice getting this intead of the mSRx. Will get the mSR if it finally makes it over to the UK but this will keep me entertained for the foreseeable future until I can get a 120SR outside which is not looking too good at the moment with our weather.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:00 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,746 Posts
It's good to know that the mCX2 is always a good indoor flyer. In my neck of teh woods, that's 7+ months!!!!!!!!!!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:31 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,682 Posts
I found the MSR to be a great "next step" from the MCX2. The MSRX is definitely a lot harder than the MSR. I'm finding the Nano to be yet another step harder than the MSRX! However, the skills I learned at each level DID help me when I was learning the next bird.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:28 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
So I found a club in my town that flys indoors in a Gymnasium, Micros and Heli's. I really wanted to check this out! A nice BIG place to fly my heli's. Well, turns out first you have to join the AMA, then the club. By the time you do all this your about $160 or so lighter. WOW! I don't know if I want to spend that much. Is this the "norm" or what? I guess if that's the only way to be able to fly in a gymnasium, so be it. I'll have to bite the bullet and cough up the dough. Funny, I'll spend that on a new heli in a hearbeat. But seems a little steep for joining a club.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,682 Posts
Yeah, clubs are like that. Essentially that's your subscription fee for having access to a great flying area. Think of it like a gym membership. You don't get access to all that great equipment for free, right? Yeah, I know it's not the best analogy, but hopefully that makes some sense.

At least with a club you have access to a lot of people that you can learn from in person. The forums are great, but there's nothing like actually working on a model with another person.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:05 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Yes, that is true, plus they do have a very nice flying field too. So I suppose that would be very nice as well. But, you first have to prove you can fly with a trainer plane and I dont have one, they don't really want anyone just showing up with a sport plane and flying. I dont know yet how they feel about EDF's or propjets either. Have to find all that out.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:34 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
I found the MSR to be a great "next step" from the MCX2. The MSRX is definitely a lot harder than the MSR. I'm finding the Nano to be yet another step harder than the MSRX! However, the skills I learned at each level DID help me when I was learning the next bird.
My MSRX is for outside use only...too wild for inside my Mobile Home...the msr is great inside...especially with a DX6i or higher radio.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,682 Posts
I flew my two MSRXs outside at the soccer field again today. Man, those things are great fun. I still practice with them indoors every so often because paying attention to how they pitch and roll as you piro and perform circuits is a really good exercise in cyclic control!

Daryoon and the folks at HeliFreak have convinced me that going brushless with these little babies is totally worth it for the extra power you get. I think I'll plan to do that this winter and get them ready for brushless action in the spring.

Of course, I also took the opportunity to put in several outdoor flights on the Nano as well. OMG That thing can haul arse!!!! It can get away from you VERY easily if you so much as sneeze. I've got a LOT of practicing to do...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:45 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
I flew my two MSRXs outside at the soccer field again today. Man, those things are great fun. I still practice with them indoors every so often because paying attention to how they pitch and roll as you piro and perform circuits is a really good exercise in cyclic control!

Daryoon and the folks at HeliFreak have convinced me that going brushless with these little babies is totally worth it for the extra power you get. I think I'll plan to do that this winter and get them ready for brushless action in the spring.

Of course, I also took the opportunity to put in several outdoor flights on the Nano as well. OMG That thing can haul arse!!!! It can get away from you VERY easily if you so much as sneeze. I've got a LOT of practicing to do...
That is why I got rid of my Nano....too old to be chasing it all over the place.....!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:27 AM
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
A quick question before I take her apart for the first time. My lower blade seems to be 'grinding' like the 'pinion'? if that's what you call it (the tiny gear coming off the motor from what I can see) is freezing up? Is this the motor, bearing or something else? The top blade spins freely.

Any ideas. I haven't been rough with her at all. It just happened mid flight.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:00 AM
Joined Nov 2012
2 Posts
Light Modifications

Hi all,

I have seen the mods you can do to keep the navigation lights on solid and had another ideas as I dont want them on in the day. i only want the tail strobe to be going.

So has anyone tried hooking up a light dependent resistor to the two navigation lights that will in effect when there is enough daylight they will not flash but when it gets dark they will?

I might try this soon. Unless someone who knows a bit more about electronics can tell me why it wouldnt work?
joejoeyjojo is offline Find More Posts by joejoeyjojo
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:05 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,560 Posts
It's not a matter of would it work, but more... why bother? What are you hoping to accomplish by having them off during the day? They're not hurting anything, they draw next to nothing for current for a 6min run. If you ran them for a solid continuous hour they'd use no more than about 5% (say even 10% which I don't think is likely) of a stock mcx2 battery... that's an entire hour running constantly let alone blinking... you'd be running it 6mins max. You'd have more variance in runtime of the battery just from variations in flying style from one run to the next than what a couple of smd LEDs draw off the battery.

(EDIT: ok, there seems to be some misunderstanding in me making the statement "why bother?" which is only in reference to a very specific goal I assumed he must be going for... see post #2438)
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Nov 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM.