HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:56 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,482 Posts
Try clicking the right yaw button a couple times. The yaw is below the throttle stick. You may want to loosen the screw on the flybar too.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:01 PM
United States, AL, Orange Beach
Joined Oct 2012
153 Posts
2nd video bigger space

Hmm. Ok. The lighting stinks but I'm flying in the living room here. The heli gets lost in the light occasionally. Video starts with all trims set at 0. You'll hear me start to adjust about half way through.

mCX2 larger space (2 min 31 sec)

My scout just hovers with a little TBE. That's my goal with the mCX2, or are my expectations unrealistic?
BamaBasher is offline Find More Posts by BamaBasher
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A great flying day!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:44 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,482 Posts
Bama, me thinks it's your flying "environment." Take your mcX2 into a bedroom, close the doors and windows. Have no air flow!! Now, see how she flys

I once brought my MCX into a large area (a hall) and almost lost total control. No FF at all That's when it did the MSR swash mod

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:33 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBasher View Post
Hmm. Ok. The lighting stinks but I'm flying in the living room here. The heli gets lost in the light occasionally. Video starts with all trims set at 0. You'll hear me start to adjust about half way through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMHfp8mIKcE

My scout just hovers with a little TBE. That's my goal with the mCX2, or are my expectations unrealistic?
Nah for the most part the mcx2 will hover nicely. Yours is part environment and part trimming issue. Remember this, if your heli is moving to the left, trim to the right and same goes for forward or backward. If you are pushing the right button and its as far as it can go (same long tone each time you hit it) then you need to adjust it on the helicopter further and then reset the tx back to middle and try again. As my battery drains, my nose starts to lose center and will slowly start turning left, but hover wise should still be relatively stable.

I do need to add this. At the start of the battery pack, it might be stable as a rock, but as the power is drained, you will develop a drift and will either have to compensate for it on the sticks or trim as you go as the battery drains.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Last edited by DoomsDay; Oct 29, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:19 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,911 Posts
If it's drifting left or right while hands off it's the aileron that needs either electronic or manual trimming. The trimming Mike described is for yaw... the nose turning (rudder). I see it doing a bit of both but mostly "sliding" sideways (aileron).
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyZone Sport Cub S BNF
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:07 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBasher View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMHfp8mIKcE

If your scout hovers in the same space, I doubt the flying environment is entirely at fault. However it will effect it when you come close to the furniture, or yourself.

Flybar looks to be ok, not too tight. You would know if it was too tight

So it is down to the trimming, the link I sent you a page or 2 back had a section on mechanical trim, but I have snipped it out for ya now.

Please note: When you are setting the mechanical trim you should start with your digital trim centered, then only twist the swashplate horn 360 to 720 at a time in the direction that you need.

It should hover steady enough to do this, once trimmed properly:

MCX2 no remote (7 min 2 sec)

TX on the table, camera in 1 hand, and the other hand is maneuvering the heli with ground effect

Landings will also become easier once it is trimmed correctly:

The Bounty Micro Flyers Great and Small Video Challenge (0 min 50 sec)

A well trimmed mCX2 should also handle any obstacles it comes up against with ease:

mCX2 double coffee table leg circle challenge.AVI (3 min 45 sec)
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; Oct 30, 2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:41 PM
United States, AL, Orange Beach
Joined Oct 2012
153 Posts
Thank you all! My heli is doing much better thanks to your help.

Valiant, that is awesome. I'm not quite there yet but getting close. My inner shaft is definitely bent. I can see it causing vibration. I'm gonna replace it before tinkering anymore but I've got her flying straight and hovering in something much closer to the same spot than before.

Who's awesome? You guys are!
BamaBasher is offline Find More Posts by BamaBasher
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A great flying day!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:02 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Here is a repair video for that BamaBasher

Blade MCX2 Repair & Maintain-Disassembly & Hub Repair (15 min 23 sec)
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:16 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
If your scout hovers in the same space, I doubt the flying environment is entirely at fault. However it will effect it when you come close to the furniture, or yourself.

Flybar looks to be ok, not too tight. You would know if it was too tight

So it is down to the trimming, the link I sent you a page or 2 back had a section on mechanical trim, but I have snipped it out for ya now.

Please note: When you are setting the mechanical trim you should start with your digital trim centered, then only twist the swashplate horn 360 to 720 at a time in the direction that you need.

It should hover steady enough to do this, once trimmed properly:

TX on the table, camera in 1 hand, and the other hand is maneuvering the heli with ground effect

Landings will also become easier once it is trimmed correctly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_7H8ut02nU

A well trimmed mCX2 should also handle any obstacles it comes up against with ease:
Or trying to land on a business card

RCGroups video challenge (0 min 42 sec)
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:03 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,295 Posts
I have 2 mcx2s'. One has the light plug on the left side and the other on the right...wonder what the differences are in the 5n1s.?
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:21 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
That is odd, I have 2 as well and both of mine are plugged in on the same spot (left if you are looking straight at the nose).
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:08 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
That is odd, I have 2 as well and both of mine are plugged in on the same spot (left if you are looking straight at the nose).
Here:

Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:15 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Those are definitely not the same board. The one on the left looks like it might be an mcx instead of an mcx2
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:18 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,906 Posts
Jake,
Horizon and Spektrum are going over to DSMX in the micro field. If you have a DX8 you can look at how the Tx bound to the Rx. If DSM2 it will say so in the upper right corner of the display. DSMX will show there if the Rx is DSMX. My Gee Bee is DSM2 while my Carbon Cub is DSMX.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:22 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
Here:

me too!

I think the one on the left side is the older version, and the one on the right is the updated version. However both perform the same as far as I can tell, and both should have blue leds on the bricks, while mCX bricks have a red light.
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX