HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:12 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinloi View Post
Thanks guys, I had already tried all that with no results. The bird looked like somebody had sat on it when I first took it out of the box. I suppose anything could happen during shipping. Thankfully Horizon is going to give it a thorough going over once it is shipped back to them.

I was beginning to feel like a real knucklehead. I KNOW I can fly based on my hobby shop allowing me to fly the stores demo model.

I figure it will take a few weeks to get this all sorted out.....(hopefully)
That's why many of us take pictures of our "unboxing." Especially to document poor boxing/shipping methods. I once got a S107g in a "flimsy" white package. When I opened it, the "original" S107" box/heli was crushed on a couple sides.

My picture documentation?? Click my user name. Click "Find all attachments by Chap1012." Ah heck...:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9075

This is really piss poor packaging at it's best. Five stars:

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,115 Posts
Nice and calm. Gonna go for 3 flights outside off my deck.

Nice
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:56 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,115 Posts
Three beautiful flights right outdoors with my MCX..!! I wish I had the area to fly a Champ It must be the "calm" before the storm

Mike.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:20 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Three beautiful flights right outdoors with my MCX..!! I wish I had the area to fly a Champ It must be the "calm" before the storm

Mike.
Be watchfull of SANDY!!!
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:51 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,749 Posts
It's great that the big oil companies are looking out for us and shutting down the refineries - AND getting ready to jack up the gas prices AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:21 AM
United States, AL, Orange Beach
Joined Oct 2012
153 Posts
New member and new helis

Hi all, new member here and first post.

I lurked for about a week, read most of this thread and then bought a Scout and MCX2 earlier this week from my LHS along with some spare batteries for each and a 4 port charger.

I bought the MCX2 for me but I knew my 6 year old would want to play too. So after a little research I knew the airhogs stuff wasn't for us. I got him the Scout. I've already mastered it. He likes for me to control the throttle while he works the rudder and elevator.

The MCX2 is more challenging of course. I'm having a good bit of fun with it. Thank you all for this thread. It's already helped so much. I've got the death wobble but I knew to expect that. In fact the only times its actually happened are when I induced it on purpose to see what I'd been reading about. One flight the controls were all wonky. Thanks to ya'll I checked the battery. Sure enough a 150mAh was hitting the servo gear.

Rinse, repeat, wipe hands on pants. There is so much great advice here!

They both have the toilet bowl effect, the MCX2 is worse after a couple crashes but not awful. I'm guessing I've bent a shaft.

Quick question: The MCX2 is quite slow in forward flight compared to reverse with both the stock battery and the 150's. Also it has a good bit of veer to the left in forward flight. Are these normal traits that I need to learn to compensate for or is my trim off - perhaps after a few crashes?

Thanks for reading, I'm glad I found RCGroups in my research.
BamaBasher is offline Find More Posts by BamaBasher
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A great flying day!
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:31 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,561 Posts
@BamaBasher

No, shouldn't be faster in reverse

Mine veers a bit to one side in FFF, can't even remember which side, but it's not "a good bit" like you say... just a tad... I sometimes compensate with a bit of aileron if I can even be bothered... it's minor enough to be a non issue.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:25 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBasher View Post

I lurked for about a week, read most of this thread and then bought a Scout and MCX2 earlier this week from my LHS along with some spare batteries for each and a 4 port charger.

I bought the MCX2 for me but I knew my 6 year old would want to play too. So after a little research I knew the airhogs stuff wasn't for us. I got him the Scout. I've already mastered it. He likes for me to control the throttle while he works the rudder and elevator.

The MCX2 is more challenging of course. I'm having a good bit of fun with it. Thank you all for this thread. It's already helped so much. I've got the death wobble but I knew to expect that. In fact the only times its actually happened are when I induced it on purpose to see what I'd been reading about. One flight the controls were all wonky. Thanks to ya'll I checked the battery. Sure enough a 150mAh was hitting the servo gear.

They both have the toilet bowl effect, the MCX2 is worse after a couple crashes but not awful. I'm guessing I've bent a shaft.

Quick question: The MCX2 is quite slow in forward flight compared to reverse with both the stock battery and the 150's. Also it has a good bit of veer to the left in forward flight. Are these normal traits that I need to learn to compensate for or is my trim off - perhaps after a few crashes?

What radio are you using?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:33 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,502 Posts
Quote:

Welcome to the club

You guessed correct, but the inner shaft is really easy to swap out

The 150 mah may have thrown your cg off, try to get the cg as close to center as possible then mechanically trim it. More info here on that: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1646234
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:48 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,188 Posts
Quote:

Take the canopy off....pop off the right servo rod (looking from the back) and turn it in 1 full turn. Pop the servo rod back onto the swash, put the canopy back on and try it out...if it is still a little slow, repeat the step again.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:52 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,561 Posts
... what Jake said (I should have elaborated in my post but got lazy. Well, actually it was more that I thought you would have reported the heli moving backwards with no ELE input if this is indeed the problem.. i.e. servo link length).

I've turned mine 5 full turns... almost no reverse but is pretty zippy forward... it's my outdoors setup (along with a 1 gram weight in the nose).
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Oct 28, 2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Oct 2012
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
Take the canopy off....pop off the right servo rod (looking from the back) and turn it in 1 full turn. Pop the servo rod back onto the swash, put the canopy back on and try it out...if it is still a little slow, repeat the step again.

Okay, first I'm using the stock toy transmitter. I like that computerized dx6 whatever one you guys have been talking about but I'm not ready to make that commitment to a hobby I started a week ago just yet.

I've adjusted the right servo rod and that helped with the forward flight speed issue. Thanks!

It still veers a lot to the left in FF. If I give it full right ELE with a touch of rudder it flies straight. It crabs but the vector is a straight line.

In hover it does a fairly big left circle and the tail has a lot of vibration. It didn't do that out of the box so we must have bent or broken something in a hard crash we had yesterday.

I'll get a new inner shaft at my LHS tomorrow since I'm sure that's bent. Just trying to figure out what else I might need to replace.

I'm trying to get video of it so I can show you guys. 2 attempts and I haven't gotten it in frame, lol. Being your own camera man is hard! I'll keep trying and post a video once I have a good example.

*Just to be clear to anyone that's reading this, it flew great out of the box except for being slow in forward flight. This little heli is FUN and I am very happy with my purchase.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A great flying day!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:47 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,561 Posts
@BamaBasher

Yeah, video would help because I'm picturing 2 different things from your flight descriptions.
... and I think you probably meant AIL not ELE but I gotcha.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Oct 2012
153 Posts
Video of my MCX2

Okay, let's see if I can make this work:

Blade MCX2 (0 min 54 sec)

*Edit: Oh, you just put the link in and the forum embeds the video for you? Cool.

Other than a quick burst to avoid hitting the table on the left all I'm adjusting in this clip is the throttle.

I tried to get some video of it in forward flight but I have to keep my hands on both sticks or it curves to the left so I can't keep it in frame. I'm assuming though that the hovering issue and FF issue are the same.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by BamaBasher; Oct 29, 2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Removed double of video
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:01 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Quote:
Okay, let's see if I can make this work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcvctgwZO7Q

*Edit: Oh, you just put the link in and the forum embeds the video for you? Cool.

Other than a quick burst to avoid hitting the table on the left all I'm adjusting in this clip is the throttle.

I tried to get some video of it in forward flight but I have to keep my hands on both sticks or it curves to the left so I can't keep it in frame. I'm assuming though that the hovering issue and FF issue are the same.
Most of that is probably being caused by all the furniture around. You see it moving towards the furniture? Its being caught by its own wind. See if you have a big open space with nothing around it and see if it is doing that. I am not saying thats the entire problem, just a portion of it
Since you are using the stock transmitter, you are going to have manually adjust the linkage to compensate for the drift. I have to assume you have already ran out of room on the transmitter adjustments, thats why I say you need to adjust the linkage on the heli itself.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay