HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2012, 04:06 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
This is with my DX6i. However, my travel adjustment is 100% but I was using some trim at the time.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 04:31 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
No, this was with a stock E-flite 120mAh battery. The twitchiness occurred only at center stick and seemed to stop when I moved the stick only to return a little bit when I brought the stick back to center. Re-binding it seemed to clear it up but I haven't flown it since to see whether it's a sign of a servo going bad or something...
Come to think of it, when I was using the stock batts and some other 130mah batts, when they were getting close to poo-poo'n the bed, I was getting this "servo twitch" quite a bit until (like you said, give some input) and it would go away. I have since started flying 160mah 25C Thunder Power and my mcX servo hasn't twitched since. Just saying...maybe the batt is worth a look. I never cared for those stocker batts. In fact, IMHO, this is where Blade (Eflight) drops the ball. You would think they would give us better batteries considering the price we pay for their toys.

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old May 07, 2012, 04:37 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,538 Posts
On another note my mCX2 upgrade guide is nearing completion: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post21539165

Can you guys have a look ant tell me if I should add anything else.

@ Roboheli: I have got some of your pics in there now, as we agreed upon
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old May 07, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Fantastic summary of all your mods!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2012, 08:45 PM
Old Flyer
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined May 2012
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post

I have just reduced the weight and length of my stabiliser flybar. It was probably the quickest and easiest of all my mods.

See the following link, for pictorial instructions:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post19543366
Which of your mods gave the helicopter the most gain in forward speed. I am new to helis, did almost all the mods you show except the flybar and the extreme swash plate. Flew it today for the very first time ever, not counting mechanical trim, and it was a blast...kind of....tooo slow.
taffrail is offline Find More Posts by taffrail
Old May 29, 2012, 06:39 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,808 Posts
You did all of those mods without ever flying it?!! I did the boom and the Scout flybar. I fly the heli indoors during the Winter and have limited space. It seems to go fast enough for what I need.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old May 29, 2012, 11:01 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taffrail View Post
Which of your mods gave the helicopter the most gain in forward speed. I am new to helis, did almost all the mods you show except the flybar and the extreme swash plate. Flew it today for the very first time ever, not counting mechanical trim, and it was a blast...kind of....tooo slow.
These are the mods that help with the fast forwards flight, there is not 1 mod in particular that will give you extreme FFF right off the bat (apart from adding weight on the front), its more a combination of the below.

Scout flybar
Reverse the battery orientation
CF tail boom
advanced swashplate settings

DX6i arguably the best performance upgrade but it comes at a steep price.

check out my upgrade guide here: EDIT: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1646234

heres a vid of some FFF action
mCX2 EXTREME flying pt.2 + CRASHES (comparison between the stock and scout flybars).avi (5 min 26 sec)
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; May 29, 2012 at 03:54 PM. Reason: adding the correct url
Old May 29, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
My primary mods are the tail boom, MH SE swashplate (extra long swashballs), and NE Draco canopy. I found the Scout flybar made the heli too twitchy for my preference and so I put the stock flybar back on. My heli is certainly fast enough for indoor flight for me. By the time it gets up to full speed it's time to put the brakes on -- hard! If you want speed, look into a flybarred FP heli like a GW 9958, WL V911, Blade MSR, NE Solo Pro, Walkera CB100, etc...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:04 PM
Old Flyer
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined May 2012
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
These are the mods that help with the fast forwards flight, there is not 1 mod in particular that will give you extreme FFF right off the bat (apart from adding weight on the front), its more a combination of the below.

Scout flybar
Reverse the battery orientation
CF tail boom
advanced swashplate settings

DX6i arguably the best performance upgrade but it comes at a steep price.

check out my upgrade guide here: EDIT: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1646234

heres a vid of some FFF action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7tYetUXMUY
I did the CF tailboom, the swashplate, and most all the metal parts,the advanced settings, the Scout flybar and even tried the reversed battery. I did not like the reverse battery as it seemed to add nothing and did complicate my flying. I left out the lights as they add weight and use battery. I fly this heli in a double car garage exclusively and it is really a piece of cake to fly(boring). I have flybar weights coming. Going to go radical. Have also picked up a 120 SR and a (needs to be rebuilt) MCPX. The 120 SR flies well outside when there is absolutely no wind. Really not enough room to let it out in the garage. While I was doing all the mods to my mcx2, I was also doing mods to another MCX2, the cheap way. Now guys I have to tell you, flying with Blade's aft canopy is just asking for trouble. It allows the motor to heat up and you all know what that causes. I have one wasted frame that I pushed to the limit to see what would happen. It happened. Frame warped, gears no longer mesh. So to go cheap, use the CF tailboom, the longer swash set up, shorten your main shaft and use a Scout flybar. Total cost less than $10 if I remember right. But the absolute best hop up for any heli is a computer radio. I bought the 6DXi before I ever bought a heli. You need it to go down on the gyro, go up on the control and set up a D/R because sometimes you just want to relax.

I bought my first helicopter on May 14th off ebay. I have now bought 5 of the MCX2 from ebay with the intention of using them for parts. I have to tell you, I have needed very few parts. I have gone ahead and restored each and every one of these so they will hover right out of the box. I am keeping 2. If any of you want one or more it would be $65 plus shipping or I can mod to suit for the price of any parts. Did I say I just started flying helicopters? Yep, I did. I am so looking forward to that 450 X or.........ANDDDDDD...I will turn 66 in November. Never give up!
taffrail is offline Find More Posts by taffrail
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:43 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taffrail View Post
I bought my first helicopter on May 14th off ebay. I have now bought 5 of the MCX2 from ebay with the intention of using them for parts.
Hehe. Sounds like another one addicted to flying...
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:28 PM
npm
Portland OR
Joined Jan 2003
86 Posts
In response to taffrail about it becoming boring to fly in post 2139 here is one way to make it a lot more fun.

My friend and I fly in his shop with tall ceilings. At first it was fun finding tough places to land and stuff like that but as you found it quickly got boring. Then one night when we were fooling around we accidentally ran into each other and that spark lit the fire, FULL ON DOG FIGHTING! These things can take a heck of a pounding and still get back in the air. We have been flying a couple hours a night; 3-4 nights a week for the last year and a half or so. We started keeping score in Feb of this year and with a kill ratio of ~ one kill for every 4-5 collisions we're guessing somewhere north of 6,000 collisions since starting to keep score. On occasion another friend will join in and three of them in the air at once trying to knock each other down is pretty entertaining. One good thing about it is our flying has gotten much better very quickly as well as our diagnostics on what's wrong when they don't fly well. I think I've now seen every possible way these helicopters can break.

The only down side is the constant trips to the hobby shop for spares. The wall in the shop has more stock hanging up than the hobby store does. The owner of the store asked me one day what I was doing that broke so many parts thinking he could give me some advice on how to fly it better. When I told him about dog fighting he got a goofy grin on his face and said we were crazy. We might be crazy but he sure likes to see us come in to his store.

A big thanks to valiantGLX for all the hop up tips, I put the scout fly bar on it and love how much better it works now. The quality of the fighting has definitely jumped a step or two with that one small change. I adapted to the shorter fly bar quickly and I'm ready now to try the cut down scout fly bar to see if it's better.
npm is offline Find More Posts by npm
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:32 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
anyone have any ideas forbid a motor upgrade for my mcx2.
Thanks,
Steve
rctoys4me is offline Find More Posts by rctoys4me
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11,250 Posts
Welcome rctoys. There are no motor upgrades for the mcX2 or mcX.

Mike.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
hi everyone
first of all: i'm new to this forum and to the world of heli-flying (not counting the toy i once got a while back ...)
i've bought the mcx2 and the dx6i to get me started
i have something weird going on : all flight controls work except 2 things that seem off:
1) when i push forward on the right stick (it's a mode 2) it goes forward but also notably to the left
2) when i push the right stick to the left, it moves/strafes left a lot faster than when i push that same stick to the right
both seem to be relate to each other as the "net" result of both is that there seems to be an "exagerating" of the left movement. Trimming does not seem to help and the heli also hovers relatively in place. I've learned to compensate quite quickly but don't know if this is "expected" behaviour or if there is something i should check
it did this from the very first flight so pre any crashes (there have been a few since )

tia for your help !
belblade is offline Find More Posts by belblade
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,250 Posts
Welcome to RCG blade. All helis have a tendency to have left drift on FFF. In all honesty I have never put the stick hard left or right. But, your heli hovers ok...hands free right? This tells me the swashplate is level. Did you buy the mcX2 & DX6i new or used? If you could post some pics of the swashplate (level view) from the side and front, that we could see, that would be a big help. Once we get you situated I'll give you some numbers to dial into your DX6i that I think you'll enjoy. Thanks to Valiant

Mike.