HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:40 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,690 Posts
Do you mean when you swapped motor lead positions the same rotor with issues you show in your video still had the problem when plugged into the alternate position? Or do you mean that when you swapped the leads it was now the other rotor that took on the issue?
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:47 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,941 Posts
Thanks North,
I mean the other rotor took on the issue.
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:56 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,690 Posts
So it looks like that specific speed controller on the board is not outputting properly no matter what motor is connected to it, correct? Did you try rebinding the heli to the Tx?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:01 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,941 Posts
I did, and same result. Thx for the idea though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:58 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,690 Posts
This is a shot in the dark, but is your aileron (Edit... meant "rudder") stick centered when you do this test... you didn't maybe disable the spring in the Tx that automatically returns it to center with hands off? There's a reason I ask that
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Mar 05, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,941 Posts
That's a good idea! Tried a different tx, no dice. Interesting stuff happened when I started playing around with the rudder though. The rotor system which was intermittent with the rudder centered suddenly sprang to life with a little rudder deflection.
More mcx2 "fun" (1 min 53 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jgalexander; Mar 06, 2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:01 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,690 Posts
Yeah, sorry, I said aileron but I meant rudder... and what I was getting at is what you see in your video which is normal and how a "rudder" on a coaxial actually works since it has no functional tail motor to steer it. I was thinking that in your original video the rudder stick (sorry, I said aileron) either wasn't centered or was trimmed in the Tx really hard to one side.

By the way, you can see in your latest video why the mcx2 and similar helis get all wobbly and lose stability in left rudder induced turns... the rotor that gives the flybar its spin pretty much shuts down... no spinning flybar, no flybar stabilization
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:58 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,941 Posts
Well, I'm still at a loss as to what is causing the "one rotor at a time only" issue. <shrug>
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:07 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
Well, I'm still at a loss as to what is causing the "one rotor at a time only" issue. <shrug>
Do you mean with the rudder stick centered? Because, like I said 2 posts back, if you mean when actually moving the stick left or right that's normal... that's how it works
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:28 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,941 Posts
Correct, with the rudder stick centered, only one rotor system turns. The other only works intermittently. The first video that I posted shows how the heli works with all sticks, other than the throttle, centered. Something is certainly wrong. I think it might have something to do with the four-n-one board, since when I switch the motor leads on the board, the problem switches locations, a.k.a. the other rotor system works.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:32 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,690 Posts
Quote:
Correct, with the rudder stick centered, only one rotor system turns. The other only works intermittently. The first video that I posted shows how the heli works with all sticks, other than the throttle, centered. Something is certainly wrong. I think it might have something to do with the four-n-one board, since when I switch the motor leads on the board, the problem switches locations, a.k.a. the other rotor system works.
Maybe check if your electronic rudder trim on your transmitter is set really hard to one side.. try centering it. Stand by, I'm going to fire up my mcx2 and check something (after a cigarette).

What transmitter are you using?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:45 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,941 Posts
I'm right there with ya. Just tried that to make sure, and it isn't the issue either. The moment the trim shifts enough, one rotor stops and the other one starts... Using the little RTF stock 4 channel TX.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:55 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,690 Posts
Yeah I just checked mine and if I hold it in my hand and try the throttle in different positions but have the transmitter rudder trim way out of whack to either side it does exactly what yours is doing in your first video (and I think your second video too when you're not on the rudder stick). Like you just said, I can get the second rotor to kick in as I move the Tx trim back toward center. Mine flies great when it's up in the air and the rudder trim is within reason. Sounds like your trim is really out of whack... if not on the Tx then on the board itself. Are you saying you can't fly it... does it just pirouette?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:31 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,266 Posts
Quote:
I'm right there with ya. Just tried that to make sure, and it isn't the issue either. The moment the trim shifts enough, one rotor stops and the other one starts... Using the little RTF stock 4 channel TX.
I had a similar issue with my mcX. The only thing different was I had no rotors at all. It turned out to be the throttle trim. With everything plugged up and ready to fly, increase your throttle trim to max. Now decrease to min. Check to see what happens. If it's still the same, try it with the heli powered down (TX on). Also try re-centering your throttle trim doing the same as above. I can't remember the sequence in which I got both rotors working again, but it did work messing with the throttle trim. Sorry...I just can't remember

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Yeah I just checked mine and if I hold it in my hand and try the throttle in different positions but have the transmitter rudder trim way out of whack to either side it does exactly what yours is doing in your first video (and I think your second video too when you're not on the rudder stick). Like you just said, I can get the second rotor to kick in as I move the Tx trim back toward center. Mine flies great when it's up in the air and the rudder trim is within reason. Sounds like your trim is really out of whack... if not on the Tx then on the board itself. Are you saying you can't fly it... does it just pirouette?
Right, it just pirouettes. I can't imagine that it's the trim, since it does the same thing to both sides of center (one rotor gets all the power, the other gets none, even at only a couple degrees off center).

I'll try resetting the throttle endpoints. Thanks Mike.
RCG Plus Member