HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:28 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Bobby, If you have a bigger battery than the 120mah eflite one, then you probably have your battery to far forward and it is hitting the servo keeping it from moving.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Last edited by DoomsDay; Jan 09, 2012 at 12:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:59 PM
Romania, TM, Timisoara
Joined Aug 2011
125 Posts
Lower the front of the landing skid (take it down, insert one of the spare canopy robber grommets only on the front mounting, put it back). I also had to cut a little from the bottom of the canopy. This way I was able to put 160mAh batteries without problems (the landing gear is tilted forward so the battery goes underneath the servo).
danb1974 is offline Find More Posts by danb1974
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:10 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,681 Posts
thought process...

I just posted something I've been curious about over at the Scout thread and would love to hear people's personal response to it. Head on over and let me know how your brain works ...

post #301 on this page...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post20365571
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:55 AM
United States, VA, Lynchburg
Joined Jan 2012
49 Posts
Replace or Repair

Got a MCX2 a couple of weeks ago and have been having a blast since! Several years ago I made a foray into RC cars and trucks and ended going there head over heels and I sense another hobby coming on fast!!

After going through the typical learning curve, and crashing curve, I discovered my bird needed some TLC. The rotors don't spin quite as freely, probably have a slight bend in the inner shaft, and the blades have a couple of small nicks in them. What worries me more than those is that the motors seem to be binding. When I removed the gears, the inner and outer shafts spin freely, there is no binding in the bearings and I have isolated the crunching to the motors. The upper rotor motor seems to grab and is "clicky" when it is spun, and the other motor just seems to grind when spun.

Since I am probably looking at new motors, new gears, new blades. new inner shaft, should I buy those parts or just get another BNF version and use the first for parts?? Although I am going to also get a DX6i, a sim and try a new MCPX, I would want to bind the newer MCX2 to the original radio--can that be done (the first bird was purchased RTF)?

Should I contact HH? I don't want something for free, but is it common for the motors to burn up after 30 flights?
Malibu LXI is offline Find More Posts by Malibu LXI
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:29 AM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu LXI View Post
Got a MCX2 a couple of weeks ago and have been having a blast since! Several years ago I made a foray into RC cars and trucks and ended going there head over heels and I sense another hobby coming on fast!!

After going through the typical learning curve, and crashing curve, I discovered my bird needed some TLC. The rotors don't spin quite as freely, probably have a slight bend in the inner shaft, and the blades have a couple of small nicks in them. What worries me more than those is that the motors seem to be binding. When I removed the gears, the inner and outer shafts spin freely, there is no binding in the bearings and I have isolated the crunching to the motors. The upper rotor motor seems to grab and is "clicky" when it is spun, and the other motor just seems to grind when spun.

Since I am probably looking at new motors, new gears, new blades. new inner shaft, should I buy those parts or just get another BNF version and use the first for parts?? Although I am going to also get a DX6i, a sim and try a new MCPX, I would want to bind the newer MCX2 to the original radio--can that be done (the first bird was purchased RTF)?

Should I contact HH? I don't want something for free, but is it common for the motors to burn up after 30 flights?
These little motors go when they go. You might get a year or a day out of them. Sadly that just seems to be the way it is. I would say if you had 30 flights and never crashed and it died, sure call them. But if you had a bunch of crashes, you never know if its the crashing that caused that.
As for should you get a new one or buy parts. I would say just get ya some new parts and go ahead and get a second helicopter then you can run them non stop without having to wait on them to cool down

Now, I want to address your other statement. Do NOT go from a coaxial helicopter to CP helicopter. You will probably destroy that thing! I would suggest getting a fixed pitch heli first before you try to mess with a cp heli. Some people can do it, but most can not and you should consider yourself in the most category.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:48 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5 Posts
Why am i falling out of the sky?

I'm pretty new to coaxial helicopters. Been flying my mCX2 for a week. While flying tight turns in my living room, the copter suddenly loses lift and stability and falls out of the sky. Neutralizing the controls and going to full power helps recover most times. This happens when I start mixing yaw and bank for a cordinated turn.
Am i doing something wrong? Is this the behavior of a coax, the mCX2, or all rc heli's ?
beberle is offline Find More Posts by beberle
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:58 PM
Romania, TM, Timisoara
Joined Aug 2011
125 Posts
Sudden left turn ends in wobble of death; this was already discussed. Right turns should be ok.
danb1974 is offline Find More Posts by danb1974
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5 Posts
Thx. I'll search 'wobble of death'. It's a fitting description!
beberle is offline Find More Posts by beberle
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:48 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Actually better known as the death wobble
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:21 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,681 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've figured out what causes the "wobble" part of it, but I haven't figured out the loss of the lift yet or the "plunge" part of it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:29 PM
Canada, QC, Châteauguay
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Well... I've tried everything that has been suggested, but to no avail, unfortunately. I even put new blades on this afternoon thinking that the couple of small nicks would have something to do with it. I've made sure that the battery is clear of anything. I made a tiny snip at the top of the canopy because it looked like - I don't know what they're called yet - one of the 2 vertical shafts was hitting. Same result.

I've done the pre-flight inspection and I noticed that one of those vertical shafts seems to move more than the other. If you were to look at the heli front on, it would be the one on the left. But, as stated above, there is nothing at all touching anything around that area. Same for the battery... checked and double checked and all is clear when I put it in.

At one point I thought that because the new batteries are longer than the stock one it may have been causing the problem. But such isn't the case as it does the same thing with the stock battery.

I'm going to take it to my LHS tomorrow as the guy who sold it to me looked like he really knew his business. He gave me a demonstration before I bought it and he was making it dance - pin point landing, figure eights, etc, etc. I'm pretty sure he'll know what the problem is.

On a better note... I have started flying "face to face" if you could call it that. I'm not going too far with it... just long enough to see how the controls react to quick touches. I figure I'll keep going this way until I'm comfortable enough to do it longer.

Bobby
bubbaloo158 is offline Find More Posts by bubbaloo158
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:40 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,681 Posts
Bobby, do you have a way to take a video of what it's doing and upload it somewhere... like youtube or even a file sharing service for download? I could even put it on youtube for you, with a private link... only people here would find the vid (non publc).
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:50 PM
Canada, QC, Châteauguay
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
OK... I'll try to do a video at some point tomorrow as now isn't a good time to ask the wife to shoot it.

I don't have a high def video camera... I'll have to do it with my phone and see how it turns out.

Thanks!!!

Bobby
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:56 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaloo158 View Post
Well... I've tried everything that has been suggested, but to no avail, unfortunately. I even put new blades on this afternoon thinking that the couple of small nicks would have something to do with it. I've made sure that the battery is clear of anything. I made a tiny snip at the top of the canopy because it looked like - I don't know what they're called yet - one of the 2 vertical shafts was hitting. Same result.

I've done the pre-flight inspection and I noticed that one of those vertical shafts seems to move more than the other. If you were to look at the heli front on, it would be the one on the left. But, as stated above, there is nothing at all touching anything around that area. Same for the battery... checked and double checked and all is clear when I put it in.

At one point I thought that because the new batteries are longer than the stock one it may have been causing the problem. But such isn't the case as it does the same thing with the stock battery.

I'm going to take it to my LHS tomorrow as the guy who sold it to me looked like he really knew his business. He gave me a demonstration before I bought it and he was making it dance - pin point landing, figure eights, etc, etc. I'm pretty sure he'll know what the problem is.

On a better note... I have started flying "face to face" if you could call it that. I'm not going too far with it... just long enough to see how the controls react to quick touches. I figure I'll keep going this way until I'm comfortable enough to do it longer.

Bobby
A bad servo drawing too much juice or bad 5in1??!!??!! I know my servo is due to be replaced in my mcX as I can hear a bit of chatter...not all the time.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:03 PM
Canada, QC, Châteauguay
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
I'm not sure what a "servo" is... I'm a real newb, don't forget. When you say "drawing too much juice" are you talking about battery juice? If so, that isn't the case... I'm getting a good 6 to 7 minute flight time on each battery. From what I have read, I'm thinking that is the norm.

I'm really hoping that it isn't a bad 5 in 1 as it isn't even a week old. That would be a real drag.