HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2012, 02:33 PM
Canada, QC, Châteauguay
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Gonna have to learn how to insert a quote in my posts.
bubbaloo158 is offline Find More Posts by bubbaloo158
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2012, 02:52 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaloo158 View Post
As per my needing new landing skids... My hobby shop has anything and everything I will need by way of parts. The new skids were $5.00. That being said, I also picked up a tube of model glue to see if I can salvage the broken skids. If not, then what the hey... I'll just put on the new ones.
Instead of glue, I have fixed broken skids in the past by heating up each broken end with a cigarette lighter then pressing the broken ends together. Its just as strong as a new set of skids.
valiantGLX is online now Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Jan 05, 2012, 03:01 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
646 Posts
If anyone is willing to trade one of these helis for a UM Corsair, let me know. I love the Corsair, but we get relatively few windless days and it mostly just sits inside.
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Old Jan 05, 2012, 04:43 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,428 Posts
Quote:

That being said, I also picked up a tube of model glue to see if I can salvage the broken skids. If not, then what the hey... I'll just put on the new ones.

...Bobby
Thumbs up to what valiantGLX said about heating and bonding, but I guess that depends where the break is and if you can get to it to do that. Where did your skid break?... I've been making repairs to various parts on my Scout and finding out which types of glues etc. work on which types of plastics and might have a suggestion or two if you can't melt it to fix it. I doubt model glue will work on the skid, but it might dpending on the location.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2012, 05:28 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,114 Posts
Quote:
Gonna have to learn how to insert a quote in my posts.
See that QUOTE button on the right hand corner of each post? Why don't you click on it?
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 05, 2012, 07:14 PM
Canada, QC, Châteauguay
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Thumbs up to what valiantGLX said about heating and bonding, but I guess that depends where the break is and if you can get to it to do that. Where did your skid break?... I've been making repairs to various parts on my Scout and finding out which types of glues etc. work on which types of plastics and might have a suggestion or two if you can't melt it to fix it. I doubt model glue will work on the skid, but it might dpending on the location.
You were right about the model glue not working. It was worth a try. Also, I thought about the cigarette lighter method and tried it. I think I let it burn a tad too long because once it was fixed, the skids were lopsided. The break was on one of the risers or vertical pipes... I don't know what else to call it. The piece that goes from the horizontal skid up to the battery holder. But I have to admit that the lighter way of fixing it - when it is done right - is the way to go. It was really solid when it hardened.

First for everything... I had the bird all apart to change the skids. I was very uncomfortable doing this for fear that I would break something else by pushing or pulling something too hard. I sure would hate to see %160 go down the drain after just 2 days. I discovered how important a small pair of needle nose plyers are to the hobby.

Another first... I flew the bird from the work table all the way over to my table saw which is at the other end of my shop... roughly 25 feet... and landed on it!!! Getting it back was another story - we won't go there

Here's a question... I'm a bit confused about the "mode" settings on the controller. There's Mode 1 and Mode 2. I'm guessing that these refer to the controller's skill level settings, am I right? The manual doesn't refer to these as "modes" per se. The reason I'm asking is because the trim button setups are different depending on which mode I set the controller to.

I'm asking because I'm having a bit of an issue when I take off or am hovering. The heli drifts backwards as soon as it takes off and I have to hold it with my right thumb to keep it stable.

I'm sure as I go along I will learn about setting the trim and such. Right now, all I want to do is fly!!! I'm having a blast!!!

Bobby
Old Jan 05, 2012, 07:18 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,013 Posts
Quote:
You were right about the model glue not working. It was worth a try. Also, I thought about the cigarette lighter method and tried it. I think I let it burn a tad too long because once it was fixed, the skids were lopsided. The break was on one of the risers or vertical pipes... I don't know what else to call it. The piece that goes from the horizontal skid up to the battery holder. But I have to admit that the lighter way of fixing it - when it is done right - is the way to go. It was really solid when it hardened.

First for everything... I had the bird all apart to change the skids. I was very uncomfortable doing this for fear that I would break something else by pushing or pulling something too hard. I sure would hate to see %160 go down the drain after just 2 days. I discovered how important a small pair of needle nose plyers are to the hobby.

Another first... I flew the bird from the work table all the way over to my table saw which is at the other end of my shop... roughly 25 feet... and landed on it!!! Getting it back was another story - we won't go there

Here's a question... I'm a bit confused about the "mode" settings on the controller. There's Mode 1 and Mode 2. I'm guessing that these refer to the controller's skill level settings, am I right? The manual doesn't refer to these as "modes" per se. The reason I'm asking is because the trim button setups are different depending on which mode I set the controller to.

I'm asking because I'm having a bit of an issue when I take off or am hovering. The heli drifts backwards as soon as it takes off and I have to hold it with my right thumb to keep it stable.

I'm sure as I go along I will learn about setting the trim and such. Right now, all I want to do is fly!!! I'm having a blast!!!

Bobby
Mode 1 and Mode 2 are not skill level. It deals with where the controls are on the transmitter. Mode 2 is mostly US with throttle on left side where as Mode 1 has throttle on the right side. Basically just reverses the controls.

If the helicopter is drifting backwards then you need to give opposite trim. On the right hand controls you will see two buttons for the forward and backwards motion on the side near the control stick. You will want to give several clicks of the top button and take off and see if it stabilizes. Keep doing it till it does. if you get to the end where it gives you several beeps instead of just the one for each click, then you have reached the end of how much you can give it, and you will need to adjust the actual linkage on the helicopter.

Also note the buttons under the stick are for left and right drift. if it is sliding to the right then you would add some left trim and vice versa. The one under the left stick or throttle will control the rudder. Basically if it is in a stable hover and the nose keeps going towards a particular side, then you would give it opposite trim there. Do keep in mind as the battery goes down, that is one of the controls that will start to fade. meaning as the battery goes down, you may see the nose start drifting to one side or the other and you have to compensate for it. That is normal for the power loss from the battery.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Last edited by DoomsDay; Jan 05, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 07:22 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
The mode one and mode two switch changes the throttle (and others) from the left stick to the right.
The mode rate (how fast the response will be to your inputs) is controlled by pushing in the right stick. If the red light is on, you're in "advanced" mode. If it's blinking, you're in "beginner" mode.
You didn't read your manual, did you ?
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:44 PM
Canada, QC, Châteauguay
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Many thanks, Doomsday and Brian, for clearing that up for me. I'm so glad that I decided to look for a place like this... The manual can only tell you so much.

I'm thinking that things will be better the next time I'm flying now that I know what trim buttons I should be adjusting.

I'm also looking forward to getting more batteries tomorrow. Just having one just doesn't cut it. I'll be getting 2 more tomorrow and then will put in an order for another 2 for next Friday. I should be good to go with 5 batteries in all.

I've seen a few things here regarding motors getting hot and burning out and such... is there a limit as to how long I should be flying before stopping to let it "cool down?"

Thanks!!!
Bobby
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:55 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,013 Posts
General consensus is 5 minute flights with 2-5 minutes cool down in between flights.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:05 PM
Canada, QC, Châteauguay
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
General consensus is 5 minute flights with 2-5 minutes cool down in between flights.
I've learned something else today!!!

Appreciated

Bobby
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:10 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
Quote:
I sure would hate to see %160 go down the drain after just 2 days.
Keeping track of $ spent might not be a good idea.
Count the hours flown.
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:15 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Maybe something with a more pin point flame? I have a couple of small micro torches I use for heat shrink on wires... they get hot enough to solder with so you have to give just quick jabs of heat and don't hold it in one place on it for more than a fraction of a second.

I was thinking some Shoe Goo might have fixed the skid and kept things flexible but I don't know how well it would stay bound to that plastic even if you surrounded the whole split area with it. One thing I do know would work would be CA (super glue) and a some kind of coupler to slide both ends of the break into... sort of like a cast

Quote:
snip

I'll be getting 2 more tomorrow and then will put in an order for another 2 for next Friday. I should be good to go with 5 batteries in all.

...Bobby
You can get the E-flite 120mAh lipos off ebay from nitrohobbies for $1.79... I have a few on their way that I bought for the "better battery mod" I did on my Scout... until they arrive I'm using my mcx2 lipo in my Scout
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:16 PM
Canada, QC, Châteauguay
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
The mode one and mode two switch changes the throttle (and others) from the left stick to the right.
The mode rate (how fast the response will be to your inputs) is controlled by pushing in the right stick. If the red light is on, you're in "advanced" mode. If it's blinking, you're in "beginner" mode.
You didn't read your manual, did you ?
Um... actually, I really did read the manual... as I was going along with trying to fly... isn't that the way it's done?

In fact, I knew how to adjust the controller between advanced and beginner mode, thanks to the manual. And, as you've probably guessed, I'm in beginner mode and will probably stay there for a while yet.

I must have skipped over the part in the manual concerning the actual "mode 1 and mode 2" or at least I misunderstood it. Now that I do know it should make things a lot easier for me.

Bobby
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:18 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
^^^^
Yes! And wait about 10 minutes before putting a battery on the charger after a flight. Here is an easy to read site about breaking in lipos and such.
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos

Welcome Bobby,
Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012