SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Oct 2010
229 Posts
As far as spare parts for the MCX2 are concerned, it's hard to say, because after two and a half months of heavy use I haven't broken anything! Seriously! I definitely can't say that about my other helis. I did get the Microheli aluminum main frame, though - which I consider a must-have upgrade. With the stock plastic frame the batteries get hot as hell; the aluminum frame acts as a heat sink and I've been flying back-to-back flights without a cooldown for over two months without a problem.

As for the next heli to move up to after the MCX2? I like the 120SR. I'm assuming you'll be flying outdoors; it's a bit too big for indoor flying (though it can be done). Not as magically stable and easy as the MCX2, but much faster for blasting around an open field - and a lot more easy-going than a CP.
Mickmeister is offline Find More Posts by Mickmeister
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
I'm relatively new to helis and recently bought the MCX2. It has been flying great and hovering even better but then a first good crash happened in an odd fashion. I flew the chopper last night with no problem in flight but then today as i flew it the heli seemed to drift excessively to the right. No amount of trim could correct the drift. I adjusted the swashplate as it looked uneven and then it started drifting to the rear. I've been chasing it all night not able to get the heli to hover correctly after the crash. Also after switching out my battery my tail is now going crazy it was holding fine but now it seems to want to spin one way or the other. Could the crash had killed my 5 in 1? Can anyone point me to a video or something of items to check on the heli after a crash. Thanks.
juicegoose is offline Find More Posts by juicegoose
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:02 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicegoose View Post
...items to check on the heli after a crash. Thanks.
I'm just a newb, but the tail plastic is really close to the gears. I even wonder if mine rubs a bit, but I don't see how I could get it further away.
I did have a crash that pushed it in. Check that it's as far away as possible ? Or maybe cut away that plastic ? (I just now decided that I'm going to do that).
Might be better to do away with the rear plastic and go with the boom, if you don't mind spending a few $.
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Last edited by Brian VT; Jan 04, 2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:29 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Another thing to check is the rear of the swashplate. You will see a little bracket shaped like a U and it is the guide for the swashplate. On a hard crash, the swash can pop out of the U and cause havoc. Check and make sure it has not jumped out of the guide. Also, on a hard crash, the glue that holds the motors in will usually pop and cause one or both of the motors to slip. Check and make sure the gears are well aligned. If one has fallen or went the opposite direction, you may need to push it back into place.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Jan 05, 2012, 07:23 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,659 Posts
To all of you guys who recently aquired a mCX2 fo christmas, head on over to the micro flyers video challenge @............

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post20326969

It great fun all you need is something that can take video footage (phone, picture camera, video camera etc.) a youtube account, and a micro heli or plane to compete. Oh! and dont forget to bring ya skills
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:13 AM
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
After I noticed the wierd flight characteristics i took off the body panels and checked everything over. the only thing that caught my eye was it seemed like the swash plate wasn't level. It was a little higher in the rear and lower on the right(looking from th rear). Upon looking at the servos though the control arms looked to be the same height. I'll check it over again though but should the swash be level on these guys?
juicegoose is offline Find More Posts by juicegoose
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:13 AM
Canada, QC, Châteauguay
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Hi Brian and Robo...

Nice to hear from you!!!

Brian... I was at the hobby shop yesterday and ordered 2 more batteries. While there the guy showed me a charger that would charge 4 batteries at the same time. I was a little taken aback with the $70 price tag but after thinking it over last night - when my 10 minutes of fun ended because of the dead battery - I decided that the charger and 3 new batteries are what I REALLY need to have. I got another "eye roll" from the wife when I told her this... heh...

And so I'm off to the hobby shop as soon as I finish my coffee.

Robo... I've seen some of the modifications on the mCX2 done on YouTube - which, by the way, has a wealth of "how to's" to see. The manual is ok... but I'm the kind of guy that does a lot better when I'm actually shown what to do. But as for the mods - I'm still a long way from that... like I said... my skills are only at the point where I can make it hover - and even then there are still crashes. But I'm sure that this is going to change in the near future as I get more and more practice... something that will increase by a lot once I get my charger and batteries!!!

Bobby
bubbaloo158 is offline Find More Posts by bubbaloo158
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:05 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicegoose View Post
After I noticed the wierd flight characteristics i took off the body panels and checked everything over. the only thing that caught my eye was it seemed like the swash plate wasn't level. It was a little higher in the rear and lower on the right(looking from th rear). Upon looking at the servos though the control arms looked to be the same height. I'll check it over again though but should the swash be level on these guys?
Make sure none of the swash linkages (buckles) have slipped past the balls they snap onto and pivot around on... the balls need to ride inside the holes on the buckles, sometimes a crash can make the balls pop out of them... it's not that noticeable if you're not looking for it but that will put the swash plate out of wack and make it track weird. Check the one going from the flybar to the top blade too.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyZone Sport Cub S BNF
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Dec 2011
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaloo158 View Post

I get my charger

Bobby
You might consider a "universal" charger instead of the 4-port Eflight.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:23 AM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
I have both and actually prefer my little 4 port charger for around the house but the big charger does come in handy if I want to speed up the charging hehe.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 10:38 AM
Canada, QC, Châteauguay
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Speaking of spare parts... I have just been brought back to earth this morning - no pun intended. I was feeling like the king of the hill as I was hovering. Maybe starting to feel too cocky. Long story short... an unexpected crash... need new landing skids. Not too bad, I guess, seeing as I've only been flying for just under 2 days.
I'm getting ready to head to the hobby shop now. Yes... VERY addictive.

Bobby
Old Jan 05, 2012, 11:51 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaloo158 View Post
Hi Brian and Robo...

Brian... I was at the hobby shop yesterday and ordered 2 more batteries. While there the guy showed me a charger that would charge 4 batteries at the same time. I was a little taken aback with the $70 price tag but after thinking it over last night - when my 10 minutes of fun ended because of the dead battery - I decided that the charger and 3 new batteries are what I REALLY need to have. I got another "eye roll" from the wife when I told her this... heh...

Bobby
By now, I'm sure this is too late. Don't be so quick to go out and spend that hard earned money!! Those chargers are on here or on Ebay all the time for $30 or slightly more. My batteries are 160mah and 25C were $8.99 each. The only mod I've done is the CF boom and fin ($5). This is an indoor heli and something to get you started. There will be bigger and better things coming as you get more addicted.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined Dec 2011
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
I have both and actually prefer my little 4 port charger for around the house but the big charger does come in handy if I want to speed up the charging hehe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Those chargers are on here or on Ebay all the time for $30 or slightly more.
Well, I still haven't decided which universal charger I want so, to tide me over, I grabbed a $30 4-port from one of the members here.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 02:05 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
It will work perfectly fine for you Brian. I love my 4 port charger. You don't really need to get anything bigger until you decide you want into bigger planes or helicopters and at that point, you will need to invest into a good charger.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 02:26 PM
Canada, QC, Châteauguay
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
[QUOTE=kodak_jack;20328994]By now, I'm sure this is too late.QUOTE]

You got that right, Jack. I'm addicted so badly that I ran to the hobby shop as soon as I posted. I know that I'll be getting more educated on what to do and what to buy as time goes on. Don't forget... it's been only 2 days.

As per my needing new landing skids... My hobby shop has anything and everything I will need by way of parts. The new skids were $5.00. That being said, I also picked up a tube of model glue to see if I can salvage the broken skids. If not, then what the hey... I'll just put on the new ones.

Came out of the shop with the new charger, new skids, 2 batteries and the tube of glue. I'll be picking up 2 more batteries next week - they are on order.

I'm having a blast with this... I'm even starting to get brave enough to start moving forward and backwards. I even made a couple of landings on my work table. To borrow a line from McDonald's - I'm LOVIN it!!!

Bobby