SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:23 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2011
637 Posts
That's a little while in the Hanger. You don't mention anything about the batteries condition. From what you posted, I might try a new battery.
Blackanthem is offline Find More Posts by Blackanthem
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:56 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,500 Posts
@frogman, If you are getting the same response from two different TX's then something within the house is cutting the heli off and on. I can't think of anything else. Is there anything electronically that you just installed in your house? Wireless devise..anything? I know it's a long shot. As BlackAnthem suggests, I assume all batteries (TX & Flight batts) are up to snuff....Right?

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:12 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
@frogman, If you are getting the same response from two different TX's then something within the house is cutting the heli off and on. I can't think of anything else. Is there anything electronically that you just installed in your house? Wireless devise..anything? I know it's a long shot. As BlackAnthem suggests, I assume all batteries (TX & Flight batts) are up to snuff....Right?

Mike.
Nothing in the house changed much since it started going flaky on me. I have a video production company in my house so I have technology everywhere but I haven't added anything crazy and new in the last 6-9 months.

That batteries in the transmitters are pretty good. The DX6i gets used all the time and has rechargeables. I fly my tricopter at least 3-4 times a week with it and use it for video and photos flying cameras that cost 2-4 times what the MXC2 did. I trust the quality of those batteries in the DX6i. I've had it a while now so I probably should get new rechargeables for it anyway. The batteries in the RTF transmitter are the ones that came with it....of course those are usually cheapo OEM stuff but they haven't been used much.

I have 2 eFlite batteries for the MCX2. I got the second one when I bought the heli new. On a whim I just checked the original box I still have around and I was smart enough to put a copy of the receipt in it. I purchased it on 4/4/11. Since then I would guess each battery probably has about 20-30 flights on it or about 40-60 total flights on the machine. I think I have replaced the batteries charger batteries either 2 or maybe 3 times since I got it. The batteries in the charger right now are brand new. Not sure how to tell the condition of the batteries as my main charger is for bigger 2-6 cell units on bigger machines. This was just a fun thing for around the house when the weather sucked so I'm not investing big bucks in accessories. Any way to test the batteries?

If I can't figure it out I will probably just dump it and sell the tx for a few bucks to someone that would like it and get one of those new Blade Scouts that are about $50. It would be cheaper than a new 5 in 1 and probably just as much fun around the house and if it went bad it's only $50.
frogman1206 is offline Find More Posts by frogman1206
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:27 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,500 Posts
EFlight batts suck anyway. How old are the rechargeables in the TX? Before you go dumping everything, I would replace the batts in the TX with Copper Tops..Duracell. That will rule out TX problems. Then buy some decent batts for the heli. I think these are kick *ss 160mah, 25C Thunder Power:
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...601SL25UM.html

IMHO, I think your batteries are basically toast..

Mike.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:51 PM
Joined Oct 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
It does act as a fantastic heat sink, my motors are bearly warm after a full flight. I have never replaced my motors, and Im up around 250+ flights now. After a flight I always let them cool down for a minute or two though, with either one of the main frames.
I second that...I just got an MCX2 the other day and the motors were hot as hell after a 5 minute flight...you could almost burn your finger on them. I switched to the aluminum mainframe yesterday and now the motors are barely warm after a flight.
Mickmeister is offline Find More Posts by Mickmeister
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:32 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,719 Posts
Quote:
EFlight batts suck anyway. How old are the rechargeables in the TX? Before you go dumping everything, I would replace the batts in the TX with Copper Tops..Duracell. That will rule out TX problems. Then buy some decent batts for the heli. I think these are kick *ss 160mah, 25C Thunder Power:
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...601SL25UM.html

IMHO, I think your batteries are basically toast..

Mike.
So you think that after only 20-30 charges the batteries are already toast. Aren't they supposed to be good for longer than that even if they are eFlite. And they both went bad with an almost equal number of cycles on them? Next time I head up to the LHS I will take it along and try a new one there (if they will let me) and see if it fixes the problem. If so I will know what's wrong.

My DX6i has rechargeables in it and they have been good for a while now so I plan to replace with more rechargeables. No reason to change what has been working over a year. I already put enough used batteries in the dump with my video business chewing up batteries with my microphones.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:47 PM
Romania, TM, Timisoara
Joined Aug 2011
125 Posts
Replace battery. When lvc kicks in, blue light goes off and commands may not respond until voltage goes up and blue light comes on again.
danb1974 is offline Find More Posts by danb1974
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:43 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman1206 View Post
So you think that after only 20-30 charges the batteries are already toast. Aren't they supposed to be good for longer than that even if they are eFlite. And they both went bad with an almost equal number of cycles on them? Next time I head up to the LHS I will take it along and try a new one there (if they will let me) and see if it fixes the problem. If so I will know what's wrong.

My DX6i has rechargeables in it and they have been good for a while now so I plan to replace with more rechargeables. No reason to change what has been working over a year. I already put enough used batteries in the dump with my video business chewing up batteries with my microphones.
I have 2 Outrage with only 20 flights on them and they are showing..let's poop the bed symptoms. I have 2 NRG's with 30 flights on each...they are waiting to be dropped off at Radio Shack for disposal. I have always kept my flights at 5 minutes. As far as "AA" rechargeables, I use the 2200mah. I've had those for about a year and a half and are still going strong. These are the newer rechargeables that doesn't have memory...kinda like myself

Mike.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:03 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickmeister View Post
I second that...I just got an MCX2 the other day and the motors were hot as hell after a 5 minute flight...you could almost burn your finger on them. I switched to the aluminum mainframe yesterday and now the motors are barely warm after a flight.
If your motors are getting that hot after only 5 minutes, doesn't it sound as if the $35 frame is not the real solution? I realize that aluminum frame is a big heat sink, but the motors shouldn't be getting that hot. If they are though, the plastic frame will warp and require a new frame anyway. BTW, I have a Walkera 5g6-1 where the motors get hot and limit time in the air too. I still haven't figured that one out and that's why I ended up with the MCX-2.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:05 AM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,719 Posts
Quote:
I have 2 Outrage with only 20 flights on them and they are showing..let's poop the bed symptoms. I have 2 NRG's with 30 flights on each...they are waiting to be dropped off at Radio Shack for disposal. I have always kept my flights at 5 minutes. As far as "AA" rechargeables, I use the 2200mah. I've had those for about a year and a half and are still going strong. These are the newer rechargeables that doesn't have memory...kinda like myself

Mike.
Guess I will make a run to the LHS to see if they have a battery and try it there. If so I will get a few more....gotta keep playing.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 01:24 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,461 Posts
Horizon Hobby announced new LiPos along with their new mSR X. 160mHa and the price is nice too...$3.99. Something to keep an eye out for.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Oct 24, 2011, 02:51 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Horizon Hobby announced new LiPos along with their new mSR X. 160mHa and the price is nice too...$3.99. Something to keep an eye out for.
I'll never understand that EFlight (Blade) put's out such great flying machines, then turn around and give you a battery that ain't worth squat. That's just not "my" opinion but, the opinion of many. Go over to the Blade 120SR thread and ask them what they think of EFlight batteries. They suck, period. But, you can ask me what I really think

Mike.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 06:07 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,461 Posts
Right. I am in agreement that the older batteries are bad. However, supposedly these new battery are designed to be good. We'll see once samples rolls in and reviewers can pit them against the Hyperions and Thunderpower.

I definitely like the price...and if they compare well to the Hyperions and Thunderpowers, perhaps it will drive down the prices on those as well.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:41 PM
Joined Sep 2010
74 Posts
Frogman, you may have a bad motor. I had a similar failure which started out as a motor but it fried the 5n1 also. The heli would fly for a few minutes at first then just drop to the floor and it kept getting worse with more flights. I checked voltage from the 5n1 at the motor plug, nothing under load. I didn't bother to fix it, I just bought a bnf to replace it.
Jakk is offline Find More Posts by Jakk
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:50 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakk View Post
Frogman, you may have a bad motor. I had a similar failure which started out as a motor but it fried the 5n1 also. The heli would fly for a few minutes at first then just drop to the floor and it kept getting worse with more flights. I checked voltage from the 5n1 at the motor plug, nothing under load. I didn't bother to fix it, I just bought a bnf to replace it.
Mine doesn't really fly a few minutes and sink...it kinda takes off a little, sinks and then the bind light goes off, the motors keep running and I have no control till it comes back on. The bottom motor will sometimes stop working and the top keeps going. Sometimes the throttle has no effect on the rotor speed and it just spins at the same rate for a while.

From what others have said I am beginning to believe the batteries are probably the problem. Tonight I recharged a battery and when it throttled up it seemed to have nice smooth acceleration, then started slowing down and the blue bind light went off. It really does sound like a battery issue. I will try one at a LHS and if it works get a few new ones. If not I will dump the whole thing and give up on it.