HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by bighank13, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:27 PM
Ahsville (just south of Columbus), OH
Joined May 2007
586 Posts
Trader Rating: 139
Sold
*ASKING PRICES* VINTAGE 3M Viking & 2.5M Aquila Gliders w/EXTRAS!

This listing is for gliders and extra wings/tails that my father recently acquired at his hobby shop near Cleveland, OH. The gentleman that dropped them off said that he used them for competitions "back in the day". I am not sure of their exact age; however I would guess the 1970's judging by the old, yellow Kraft Radio Systems that they had in them. I took a lot of pictures to help tell the story and hopefully assist with the identification of these birds. I know one thing for sure...these were built by a master craftsman as all the wood work is absolutely beautiful. Heck...the covering jobs aren't to bad either I could find no major damage on any pieces, whatsoever. They do show some wear consistent with use (several holes in the covering and some dings on the fuselages), but nothing that would easily prevent these birds from flying again.

I can ship these birds if need be; however that will be at the expensive of the new owner. I also welcome pick-up in Columbus or Cleveland, OH; and would be more than happy to meet at the Toledo Show in two weeks.

These will be sold in three different lots. Please see the following photos and details to help with schematics, aesthetic information, and asking price:

LOT #1
  • 3M Viking Glider with TWO sets of wings and TWO sets of tail feathers
  • Each wing panel measures around 58" with about a 12" chord
  • Both Sets of Wings ARE DIFFERENT DESIGNS
  • The fuselage is missing the two straight wires to help secure the tail (through the fuselage)
  • Both sets of wings feature pop-up slats, controlled by strings
    • Asking Price is $300 plus shipping charges (no packaging - just what Fed Ex or Greyhound chargers to get it to you)

LOT #2
  • TWO 2.5M Aquila Glider Fuselages w/TWO sets of wings and ONE set of tail feathers
  • the fuselages are THE SAME DESIGN...and one LOOKS BRAND NEW/NEVER FLOWN (Barbie Pilot in the new one...SHE'S FREE)
  • Each wing panel measures around 48.5" with about a 9" cord
  • Both Sets of Wings ARE THE SAME DESIGN
  • One of the fuselages is missing its main spar and two straight tail wires to help secure the tail (through the fuselage)
  • Both sets of wings features pop-up slats, controlled by strings
    • Asking Price is $250 plus shipping chargers (no packaging - just what Fed Ex or Greyhound chargers to get it to you)

LOT #3
  • One set of wings with matching set of tail features
  • Each wing panel measures around 48.5" long with about a 10.5" cord

Thank you in advance! Hank
bighank13 is offline Find More Posts by bighank13
Last edited by bighank13; Apr 03, 2010 at 05:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:55 PM
Norman, Ok.
Joined Oct 2008
57 Posts
Trader Rating: 122
It looks like a Aquila Grande and the other two are reg. Aquila's. Dont give them away do a search in the forsale thread and see what they were selling for. The Nostalgia guys like the Grande...Fiberglass or wood fuse??good luck
cycle1racing is offline Find More Posts by cycle1racing
Last edited by cycle1racing; Apr 01, 2010 at 06:18 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:08 PM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
Trader Rating: 172
I'm interested when you figure out a price.
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:18 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Trader Rating: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle1racing View Post
It's an Aquila Grande and the other two are reg. Aquila's. Dont give them away do a search in the forsale thread and see what they were selling for. The Nostalgia guys like the Grande...Fiberglass or wood fuse??good luck
+1...nice score! You'll have a lot of people interested in these.
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Apr 01, 2010, 12:19 AM
Joined Feb 2010
0 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
rambo-ray

i'll give a quote for all three planes in one package plus postage of $650.00
rambo-ray is offline Find More Posts by rambo-ray
Old Apr 01, 2010, 12:35 AM
Joined Feb 2010
0 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Clarify Terms

Thats $650.00 plus postage and handling. If you do'nt have a box i will send you one at my expense. The box is big enough to hold two 110 in planes so three should fit ok.........
rambo-ray is offline Find More Posts by rambo-ray
Old Apr 01, 2010, 12:52 AM
Joined Apr 2004
100 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
No Grande's there. Lot 1 is a Craft Air Viking Mk I. Winglets, raked tail tips, and dorsal fin are not stock. Nice plane.
apage is offline Find More Posts by apage
Old Apr 01, 2010, 06:03 AM
Joined May 2007
586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle1racing View Post
It's an Aquila Grande and the other two are reg. Aquila's. Dont give them away do a search in the forsale thread and see what they were selling for. The Nostalgia guys like the Grande...Fiberglass or wood fuse??good luck
All the fuselages are fiberglass.
Old Apr 01, 2010, 06:35 AM
Joined May 2007
586 Posts
Added more pictures...

I will work out a price later today...hopefully!

I forgot to mention that all sets of wings and tail tail feathers come in cloth carrying bags...except the 2.5M blue ones. All the bags are very functional and vintage, also.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP WITH THIS!
Old Apr 01, 2010, 08:19 AM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,648 Posts
Trader Rating: 27
I am interested in Lot#2
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old May 06, 2010, 09:09 PM
Joined Apr 2010
101 Posts