SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:01 PM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Discussion
Most powerful 90MM EDF units out there....

- I like to know what are considered as premium/Elite brands for 90MM Edf units
out there.

_ What brands are considered good/reliable for 90MM Edf units.

Now off course what motor, Edf combo produces static thrust of 10lbs!

I know this will include ESC and Battery types also. SO lets name them out and from where these are available (What online sites). I will need 4 of these combos for my Concorde model and would like to keep my eyes for perfect set-up combo available.

I doubt my model will be more then 30lbs dry RTF at this time but let see.

Sam
Concordefan is offline Find More Posts by Concordefan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:07 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,165 Posts
for a 90mm you got to go with Tams shroud and the midi rotor.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:07 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
I know there are a lot of carbon 90mm fans that will do what you want but if you need to save a little money I think there have been a few guys that have gotten 10lbs from WeMoTec Midi fans with Neu motors on 10 or 12 cells. Hobby-Lobby and other sell the midi fan. The Turnigy Sentilon 100A HV controller from Hobby City hass been reliable for me and others. Turnigy batteries from the same site would work well too for much less than others.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:11 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Midifan and a 1415 2y is about 3500 watts on 12S, just under 10 pounds thrust.

I've got an arc 36-75-1.5 I'm going to test in an het 9305. It should be roughly the same numbers, about 3500 on 12S at about 80 amps or so.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Apr 01, 2010, 12:43 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,323 Posts
Another vote for the Tamjet fan here. Actually had one in my hot little hands this past weekend. It was REALLLLLLYYY hard to not take it home with me. The only reason it stayed with Tam was I don't have a plane near being ready for it yet.

BTW, Tam has a great selection of new fans 70mm, 90mm, 100mm, and and another larger fan. He had them all at the CA Jets meet. I was too busy oogling them that I forgot to take pictures. I think that Gene has a few pics though.

Hey Gene, wheres the fan pics?
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Old Apr 01, 2010, 01:20 AM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Guys i understand what you mean by going to TAM for there TJ90 fan units, but i need 4 of these complete set ups, so just think about the price going through the roof and with 4 giant scale projects on the go at same time, i don't see going TAM way would be best option on my plate....

This is where these will go into:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1205746

Hopefully this will suggest going to more economical route cost wise to get 10lbs of thrust statically...

Sam
Old Apr 01, 2010, 01:23 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Midifan $90

ARC 36-75-1.5 $120

it'll be just under 10 pounds of thrust. Although I would wait
until I get a chance to test mine, to make sure it handles
the power.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Apr 01, 2010, 01:41 AM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
to make sure it handles
the power.
When do you think this test will happen?
Old Apr 01, 2010, 02:03 AM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
The only fan in 90mm size I will ever do again is Tams new 7 stator fan using a midi rotor. Its a bit more$$, but its really worth it as the center section of the fan has a machined motor tube that fits like a glove and can be ordered for either 1415 or 1515 size neu motors. With a bit of heatsink compound it can allow you to run the motor a lot harder than if in the midi shroud alone. Its well worth it and is made here in the USA. That is why Tam can run those motors a lot harder than anyone else. They cool so well its not even funny.
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Apr 01, 2010, 02:11 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I agree that Tam's stuff is awesome, but it is gonna be expensive as all hell to get it up here. don't forget that we have to pay shipping, duty and our taxes on top of the price. that's if you do it the legal way of course. LOL. there's always options though. I still think the best option for you is to go with the Wemotec. wait and see what Pete comes up with, with that combo. you've got time anyway and can design the plane around the 90mm.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Apr 01, 2010, 02:28 AM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
I agree that Tam's stuff is awesome, but it is gonna be expensive as all hell to get it up here. don't forget that we have to pay shipping, duty and our taxes on top of the price. that's if you do it the legal way of course. LOL. there's always options though. I still think the best option for you is to go with the Wemotec. wait and see what Pete comes up with, with that combo. you've got time anyway and can design the plane around the 90mm.

Pete who, ur friend with big A10?

Yeah you got that right about the shipping, taxes and duty, i didn't event thought about those elements!..Well i know for this model i won't be going to TAM route, it i was building single or twin EDF model then yeah for sure TAM would have been my choice but not now anyways. I am leaning towards mid range choice of equipment here...

Sam
Old Apr 01, 2010, 02:37 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Sam

not my friend Pete with the turbine A-10. Pete, as in Gundamnitpete. he posted the arc/midi combo that he's gonna try. that's more than enough thrust per unit for your plane. almost too much actually, but too much is ok here.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Apr 01, 2010, 08:20 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordefan View Post
Guys i understand what you mean by going to TAM for there TJ90 fan units, but i need 4 of these complete set ups, so just think about the price going through the roof and with 4 giant scale projects on the go at same time, i don't see going TAM way would be best option on my plate....

This is where these will go into:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1205746

Hopefully this will suggest going to more economical route cost wise to get 10lbs of thrust statically...

Sam
I see your point. Buying enough fans for all of your fleet could get a bit expensive. Midifans are another good option. Have you given any thought to trying these fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post
........BTW, Tam has a great selection of new fans 70mm, 90mm, 100mm, and and another larger fan. He had them all at the CA Jets meet. I was too busy oogling them that I forgot to take pictures. I think that Gene has a few pics though.

Hey Gene, wheres the fan pics?
I see that our buddy Gene is already "On a Vacation". He did get some nice pics of CA Jets posted before the ax dropped.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=457

One pic from many. Thanks Gene!

GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Last edited by GregG; Apr 01, 2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2010, 08:53 AM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,477 Posts
First you said - I like to know what are considered as premium/Elite brands for 90MM Edf units out there. and you wanted 10 pounds of thrust.

Now you want cheap

You can have premium
You can have cheap
You can have 10 pounds of thrust
You can have reliable.

Pick one or 2 cause you can't have all 4
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Apr 01, 2010, 08:56 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,252 Posts
Just to be clear, you want the "Midi fan Pro" version, its dynamically balanced at the factory. A standard Midi Fan is not balanced and you have to balance it yourself. there are alot of people selling their old midi fans on the market that are not the Pro version.
Ken Lapointe is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Closed Thread