HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2010, 08:20 AM
Which way is it going now
Australia, SA, Golden Grove
Joined Mar 2003
438 Posts
Jim,

You may find that the 2S setup is a bit on the soft side at 4500ASL. 3S and the 13X9 will be good but make sure you check the amp draw may be close to the limit of the CC 45, but I don't have any experience with what the sort of pwer reduction you get at 4500ASL.

I'm about to give mine a test with a Hacker B40-7L, because I can. Hope to balance it without lead in the tail.

Cheers
Mark
mstone is offline Find More Posts by mstone
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:21 PM
Joined Apr 2010
38 Posts
Mark'

The Watt meter will be used before any flights. The 13/9 and the 13/10.5 might be in stall when I try the static test so the readings may be in question. The calculations, however, put the amp draw at 36 amps with the 2S battery. We'll see what's what when the time comes.
The stab position looks just right!! Thanks for all the consideration. I'll let you know how the tests turn out.
I'll program tonight and test fly as soon as the weather allows.

Thanks again for all the help!

JIM
drjim is offline Find More Posts by drjim
Old Jun 23, 2010, 06:24 PM
Joined Apr 2010
38 Posts
Mark,

Test flew the Typhoon today. Throws follow.

Ailerons/Flaperons +7mm/-5mm
Rudder all I could get (about R/L 16mm)
Elevator +/-10mm

Landing mode:
Crow--Flap as much as possible. Aileron at +7mm with +/- 7mm throw (could use more)
Elevator 4mm down for compensation

Cruise mode: Aileron/Flaperon preset 1mm droop (still working on elevator preset)

Thermal mode: Aileron/Flaperon preset 3mm droop (still working on elevator preset)

Speed mode: Aileron/Flaperon preset 1.5mm reflex ( still working on elevator preset)

All the throws seemed adequate but a little more aileron throw would be nice at Cruise and Thermal speeds.

The stab incidence set up that you provided was right on. She left my hand without incidence. I'll probably couple some down elevator in the next flight though.

Still a lot of fine tuning to do but it is a great ship!

Wahoooo! Is it FAAAST.

The CG you provided gave it a picture perfect glide test in the Speed mode (only mode tested). No lead added. Placement of battery (3S 2250),ect. did the trick. At a 45 degree down angle it continued to accererate with no tendancy to tuck under or pull up. Straight as an arrow! Likely speed in excess of 120 MPH.

Predicted amp draw was 36 amps with the 13/10.5 prop...actual 38.4 amps. Vertical climb to spec out took about 6-7 secs. Quite fast enough for a 68 year old glider guider like me.

If my math is right, that's 426 Watts.

If you put 1KW in that thing it is likely to leave its paint job behind! You'll have to repaint after each flight! Too much work. : )

Thanks again to Mark and pilotrcuk for all the help. I'll send some pics of the flights over Hells Canyon after I get back from Joseph, Oregon on the 5 of July.

JIM
Last edited by drjim; Jun 24, 2010 at 12:23 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:38 AM
Malaysia
Joined Jul 2008
260 Posts
drjim, sounds impressive!

Got Video?

-sam
acurusaragon is offline Find More Posts by acurusaragon
Old Jun 24, 2010, 01:30 AM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
Congrats on your successful maiden flights Jim, sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun with this model...even on your measley power setup Only joking, good work, look forward to seeing pics. Look forward even more to receiving my model!!

Al
pilotrcuk is offline Find More Posts by pilotrcuk
Old Jun 24, 2010, 03:30 AM
Joined Jun 2008
383 Posts
Those sounds great Jim, it's good to know that a modest power setup will spec it out in 7secs. My maiden has been postponed again due to a work trip to London I think mid July before I can get it flying
millikenrob is offline Find More Posts by millikenrob
Old Jun 24, 2010, 08:09 AM
Joined Mar 2003
438 Posts
Well done Jim.

Glad to help that's what these forums are for.

The E-Phoon does dive nicely and retains the energy well. I see you did go for the bigger battery in the end rather than lead.

I'm almost done this the Hacker B40-7L install. Got the motor second hand here on RC Groups and a 4.3:1 Ammo gear box from Tower Hobbies. I'll prop it for about 40Amps for a few flights to break in the gearbox and give the paint time to get used to hanging on tight :-)

Mark
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:02 AM
Joined Apr 2010
38 Posts
Made adjustments and heading out for more test flights today.

I'm back from test flights. All presets and trims are final. Flys like a dream. Had some light lift and was almost able to stay even so it may even thermal at 1502g/53oz/3.31lbs.

Wing loading in "yank" is approximately 14.7 oz/sq.ft. I think thats about 45.6 g/dm in the rest of the world.

Sorry no video.

Will post some pics when I get back from Hell's Canyon; if I can figure out how to do it!

JIM
Last edited by drjim; Jul 09, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 02:57 PM
Joined Apr 2010
38 Posts
Well, I'm back from Hell's Canyon and the Alpine Extreme fun fly and I'll try to share a video that my friend shot. It's the best powered sloper that I've ever flown. Even with the smaller Neu motor it's climb rate is very fast! Stay till the end of the video to see the climb. The address for the video is????????? I can't figure out how to get it from the damn photobucket to here so you can see it!!!!
I'll try something else.
typhoon2.wmv (1 min 43 sec)
Kicked the "bucket" and went to youtube . Well, I got this far but it won't play anything! Been waiting four hours!!

Thank you "dwells"! Your help finally got me out of trouble!

JIM
Last edited by drjim; Jul 14, 2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:18 PM
Joined Jun 2008
383 Posts
Looks great Jim - i flew mine on the weekend as a glider only because i still havent got the smaller blades for it. Hopefully this weekend. It was a good opportunity for me to figure out the CG etc.

Did i resist the urge to give a little bit of throttle? No. I did "test" the powertrain out and it had plenty of climb on 1/3 throttle.
millikenrob is offline Find More Posts by millikenrob
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:52 AM
Joined Mar 2003
438 Posts
Jim,

Certainly climbs well with that motor combo.

Haven't had a chance to get mine out again.

We are actually having some winter weather this year.

Cheers
Mark
Old Jul 15, 2010, 01:40 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,364 Posts
drjim,
nice video, thanks for posting all the "data" on your build. What servos did you use for elev/rudder. Looks like HS65HB would fit. What about flaps..would HS65MG fit? Aileron servos?

By the way, with the same Neu 1105/2.5Y 4,4 and a RFM 13X9 prop I was drawing about 45 amps+, with a Castle ICE LITE 50, in my BulleT warmliner. LiPo is TP 30C 3S 2250, in my BulleT with a 1.6 M wingspan.

This motor/prop setup is identical (if you use a 13X9 prop) to what you have in your Typhoon-E, so an ESC with more "headroom" might be an idea on 3S.

I am thinking of a Typhoon-E carbon for my next bird..
320pilot is online now Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Jul 15, 2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:03 PM
Joined Apr 2010
38 Posts
320pilot,

My Typhoon is also the carbon version. (only version available from SoaringUSA)
Good call on the servos. All mine are HS65HB's except flaps & they are HS65MG's.
I'm happy with the setup I have. Too old for more speed.
The air is a little thinner where I live (5000 feet above sea level) and where we were flying (almost 7000' ASL above Hell's Canyon at Hat Point)) so the reason I draw only 37 Amps may be due to the fact that my prop (13/10.5) isn't banging off of as many air molecules per second as yours is??

The ship is sweet & I already have a backup in my shop getting ready for the same setup. Folks were surprised at how well it thermaled at high speed.

Jim
Old Jul 18, 2010, 09:53 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,364 Posts
thanks jim,
Sounds like a great setup. I just put a deposit down on one of the next Typhoon Es coming in at SUSA. I have the same servo setup in the wing of my BulleT; two HS65hb on ailerons, and two HS65MG on the flaps. Elevator servo is the Dymond D-60 inside the vertical stab.

that density altitude difference in amps is interesting. I am flying the BulleT from a field at about 485 feet ASL. It climbs vertically with my setup.

All up weight of the BulleT , with TP2250 3S LiPo is 2lbs 5 ounces,
or 1049 gms
320pilot is online now Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Sep 17, 2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 06:00 PM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,286 Posts
Hi Guys,
Really nice looking plane there. Looks like a bigger version of my gladiator 2E (which is a favorite of mine). Just curious if you have any comments on how well it handles if you want to go a little slower at times? Can you slow it down and turn tight in a small area if you want or does it need to be flown a little faster? If you do stall what are the stall characteristics like? Is it fairly gentle or does it bite?
Thanks for any comments guys.
Cheers Mike
Michael Richards is online now Find More Posts by Michael Richards
Last edited by Michael Richards; Jul 21, 2010 at 09:18 AM.