SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 24, 2010, 11:29 PM
Which way is it going now
Australia, SA, Golden Grove
Joined Mar 2003
441 Posts
For the left and right I effectively lay it on the bench using the trailing edge of the fin and the seam on the fuse as a reference. Get it flat then measure off the bench.

For up/down I have a Great Pains laser incident gauge. Set the fuse on the bench get the wings flat. Then you can check the front off the bench.

Mark
mstone is online now Find More Posts by mstone
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2010, 07:23 PM
Joined Jun 2008
383 Posts
Just a bit of an update.

Got all the gear from aircraft-world. The GS2218-10 fits with plenty of room.

The 80amp controller is a bit of a squeeze, should be fine though.

Got the DS-12 servos in, took a bit of fiddling to get them to fit, had to cut off the lugs for one. But they are in now and nice and secure. (Bit messy i know.). Definately built for the HS65mg/hb.

Last night I also ordered three 1800mah 40c/50c burst turnigy lipos plus a watt meter that will help me get some stats. If i understand correctly this means i'll be able to get a sustained 72amps and a 90amp burst. Which should be more than enough - i'm expecting about 60amps for 630watts on a 14x8.
millikenrob is offline Find More Posts by millikenrob
Old May 26, 2010, 07:55 AM
Joined Mar 2003
441 Posts
Motor spins

I've now got the motor mounted and I tested the little motor tonight. With a pair of Graupner 10 X 6 blades the motor is pulling 30Amps @ 11.3 Volts. After 20 seconds of running the motor wasn't hot, although it is hard to tell with an out runner.

Not blistering performance but a good starting point, currently using a Plush 40A ESC with a 3A switching BEC.

The Spinner is a Hobby King 38mm turbo spinner, just a fraction too big. Hobby King don't have a 35/36mm for a 4mm shaft and there isn't enough meat in the 3.2mm collet to drill it out, I tried.

Will have to order a BB Spinner from Esprit I guess.

Also made up the wiring loom for the fuse, the ripoff Multiplex 6 pin connector from HK are fairly ordinary compared to the originals, I won't be using them again.

Mark
Old May 26, 2010, 08:05 AM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
Nice work Mark. I just ordered mine from Warrick @ SlopeRacer here in the UK. I've opted for a second electric fuselage so I can have a choice of max power for hooliganism sorties, and a second to be kitted out with a lightweight setup to use as a thermal sniffer!! Can't wait to get hold of the goods...
pilotrcuk is offline Find More Posts by pilotrcuk
Old May 30, 2010, 03:09 AM
Joined Mar 2003
441 Posts
Ready to go

The E-Phoon is complete.

The total ready to fly weight is 1660g, balanced 85mm from the leading edge, so it isn't going to be a thermal queen.

If you look in the picture below you will seen that everything is pushed forward as far as possible, even so I had to add 40g of lead to the nose to balance it.

You could make model balance without adding lead if you used lighter servos. I use 22g servos all round except the rudder.

Too wet and windy here today for its maiden flight.

The E-Phoon looks the part.

Rather than lead I'll look for a bigger motor the Turnigy 2830-1000 was 56g ready to go. So I should be looking for something in the 100-120g range.

Mark
Old May 30, 2010, 04:30 AM
Joined Jun 2008
383 Posts
Thats no good... I bought the 1800mah 3s packs thinking i could keep it light. Looks like i'll need nose weight. I've got the glass version, though as far as i can tell it looks like its carbon... There is carbon under the wings and it looks like carbon on the tail through the bellcrank peephole. Maybe its cheaper to make them all carbon rather than be bothered with specific layups.

I got the firewall on mine done and the motor in. Just waiting for the new batteries this week and some measuring equipment and i'll be ready to go. I also had a bit of an issue with the spinner and blades - i've posted asking for help here : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1252126

Maiden next weekend i hope.

Rob
Old May 30, 2010, 06:43 AM
Joined Mar 2003
441 Posts
Rob as far as I know there is only one layup for the fuse.

Your GS2218 is another 20g+ on the Turnigy model I chose so it won't be too bad.

I have had the same problem with the Aeronaut props on the BB aluminium spinners. I simply sand the hub of the blades so they are a constant diameter about the pivot pin.

Mark
Old May 30, 2010, 08:27 AM
Joined Jun 2008
383 Posts
Thanks Mark, was just worried it would unbalance them, or weaken them or something...

They definately come in different layups, the soaring usa website has them seperately listed - dont know the difference in the weight though - it will be interesting to see how the glass version weighs in.
Old May 30, 2010, 08:13 PM
Joined Oct 2004
926 Posts
Great work guys, can't wait to see how the maidens go.

Rob, there are two versions, glass and carbon. All carbon version RCRCM models now come with glass/kevlar noses to make them 2.4 friendly. Even though your slope typhoon is glass, you have the carbon electric fuse as I just ordered everything the same and didnt worry about getting you a weaker glass fuse.

Andrew
laanguy is offline Find More Posts by laanguy
Old Jun 06, 2010, 06:48 AM
Joined Mar 2003
441 Posts
I managed to fly the E-Phoon today in between the showers that rolled through.

The little Turnigy motor fitted with the Graupner 10X6 quite happliy dragged the E-Phoon up at about 45 degree angle at a good pace. It surprised me and would climb at a slightly higher angle but at a slower pace.

It would reach about 150m in 15sec and after a number of flights both motor and battery were cold, only about 15C ambient, so will try a 10X8 and an 11X6 next time out. The E-phoon flies very nicely roll rate is very good and well controlled. Big loops and very good energy retention.

I do need to move the CG back a bit further a bit too much pull out after a dive but 85mm is a very stable place to start. Also need about 5% down mix with the throttle.

I was very happy with its first day out.

Mark
Old Jun 06, 2010, 08:30 AM
Joined Jun 2008
383 Posts
Sounds good Mark, I'm just waiting on batteries from hc, but the hong kong post are being pricks about sending lipos. Maiden next week I hope.

How did it glide? Mine weighs in at 1480g with a 2200mah battery.
Old Jun 06, 2010, 08:45 AM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by millikenrob View Post
Sounds good Mark, I'm just waiting on batteries from hc, but the hong kong post are being pricks about sending lipos. Maiden next week I hope.

Uhoh, I hope there isn't going to be issues with getting LiPos sent internationally... I know Aircraft-World have a note about this on their website. Any pending restrictions that you know of?
pilotrcuk is offline Find More Posts by pilotrcuk
Old Jun 06, 2010, 06:45 PM
Joined Mar 2003
441 Posts
Quote:

Rob, the E-phoon glided very well, but it wasn't the greatest day for thermalling. Definitely very smooth and turns well would hold it's own on a windy day but at a about 1000g heavier than the light weight 2m models it would win on a still no lift day but that is not what I bought the E-phoon for.

The lipo shipping restrictions have been in place for a few years it just than now they are being enforced. We can still get batteries via surface mail from HK here in Australia it just takes about 4 weeks.

Mark
Old Jun 07, 2010, 08:41 PM
Malaysia
Joined Jul 2008
260 Posts
Milikenrob,

How's the performance of the GS2218-10 ? .. tested ?

Quote:
Just a bit of an update.

Got all the gear from aircraft-world. The GS2218-10 fits with plenty of room.

The 80amp controller is a bit of a squeeze, should be fine though.

Got the DS-12 servos in, took a bit of fiddling to get them to fit, had to cut off the lugs for one. But they are in now and nice and secure. (Bit messy i know.). Definately built for the HS65mg/hb.

Last night I also ordered three 1800mah 40c/50c burst turnigy lipos plus a watt meter that will help me get some stats. If i understand correctly this means i'll be able to get a sustained 72amps and a 90amp burst. Which should be more than enough - i'm expecting about 60amps for 630watts on a 14x8.
acurusaragon is offline Find More Posts by acurusaragon
Old Jun 07, 2010, 09:48 PM
Joined Jun 2008
383 Posts
Got the motor, still waiting on the lipo's and watt meter from hobby city - it has been held up due to the "no lipo's by air" b0llocks.

I'll post numbers in here when i run the tests.

Rob