HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2013, 12:17 PM
United Kingdom, England, Fleet
Joined Aug 2002
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnale View Post
Thanks! I will maiden the typhoon tonight and will increase the throw beforehand.

This plane's weight is way above spec - 1950g against 1450g... should I be concerned?
This is the full carbon version, with Tony's recommended setup for power, run on a 1800mAh 70C 4s battery. I might have been able to save a few grams here and there by being more cautious with the glue usage, but certainly not 500g! The plane didn't even need lead for balancing.
Good luck with the maiden flight, she's really nice to fly, so I think you'll love her.

1950 is a bit on the heavy side, but it should still fly great. Mines one of the heavy ones too, at around 1700 ready to fly. Still slopes in around 10 mph winds, so all is good.

Have fun
martinh is offline Find More Posts by martinh
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2013, 12:20 PM
Joined Aug 2002
544 Posts
Quote:
It might (haven't checked, I will tonight). You will have to cut the nose a great deal. If you want to make your life much easier, and have not problem at all finding a cheap and yet powerful power setup, get the RCRCM Hornet. Basically the same plane, but with a wider fuselage.
The motor should fit through the canopy opening and its tapered at the front too. They dont give the diameter of the tapered bit. Haven't tried fitting it in mine though, so can't be sure. If an mvvs 4.6 fits, then it should be fine.
Old Aug 05, 2013, 01:17 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinh View Post
You could try one of the Turnigy GliderDrive motors from hobbyking http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...4_6_840kv.html

The 4.6 840 kv one looks good on 4S. I have one to try and the quality looks ok. Not sure about the best prop though 14x9 looks interesting.

Martin

Thanks Martin,
Do you think this motor will fit in the Typhoon's fuse? If so, this will make it the perfect budget motor.
RanGee75 is offline Find More Posts by RanGee75
Old Aug 05, 2013, 04:01 PM
Joined Aug 2002
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanGee75 View Post
Thanks Martin,
Do you think this motor will fit in the Typhoon's fuse? If so, this will make it the perfect budget motor.
Yes, it does look good, however I can't confirm if it fits or not because I'm currently on holiday in France for the next 3 weeks (with my family and about 10 models ). I've flown 5 of them in the last 3 days

I nearly packed the GliderDrive, so that I could have a play with it but decided to leave it at home at the last minute

Maybe someone else has tried it? Or can measure the diameter at the front of the motor, and the length of the taper.

Martin
Old Aug 05, 2013, 04:23 PM
resU deretsigeR
Harderwijk, The Netherlands
Joined Aug 2008
32 Posts
The GliderDrive 840 does not fit the Typhoon - the diameter of the front of the can is 38mm and expands to 40mm further on.

Since the Typhoon fuse is only 34-35mm (depending on where it is cut haha) this just doesnt fit. I have one in a Hawk F5B/Eagle 5 etc etc...

The 840 pulls 113 Amps on a 14x10 RFM Carbon at 4S by the way, I propped down to 13x10 CAM and that gives me 77A, about 1155 Watts...

Hope this helps.

BTW
Got a Kontronik Kira 480-26 and a 16x10 @ 4S = 55A, barely vertical climbrate, and a bit expensive.
Martijn666 is offline Find More Posts by Martijn666
Old Aug 05, 2013, 06:01 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Anyone tried the Hyperion GS 2218 with the Typhoon?
Old Aug 06, 2013, 01:40 AM
Joined Aug 2002
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martijn666 View Post
The GliderDrive 840 does not fit the Typhoon - the diameter of the front of the can is 38mm and expands to 40mm further on.
That's a shame

IMHO The GS 2218 would be ok but far from spectacular in the typhoon.

I've used 2 motors in mine, both Hacker geared units. The first ran at around 600 watts and was disappointing. The second and current motor runs at 850 watts, which gives a good performance without ripping the nose off or getting too hot. The current unit is a Hacker B40L with gearbox, which cost quite a bit.

That's the problem with this model: its a budget glider that needs an expensive motor to get the best from it.

Other options to investigate would be building your own motor and gearbox combo, using a HET or similar in runner plus a decent planetary gearbox. Will still cost a lot more than the GliderDrive though.

Eg great planes ammo motor and gearbox at $100 plus shipping

gearbox http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?I=LXWVT4

Motor http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLWY5&P=M

Martin
Last edited by martinh; Aug 06, 2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2013, 10:01 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2006
153 Posts
Another option is to get a Hornet fuselage - the wings and tail are the same apparently - The hobbyking gliderdrive would fit in there, you even use a standard outrunner apparently - http://www.olerc.com/sailplanes/part...-fuselage.html

I forgot to measure the fuselage yesterday. I will do that tonight.

I almost maidened the eTyphoon yesterday, but right before the launch the gearbox failed on me. A quick check showed that the main shaft gear had slipped all the way back and didn't engage to the planetary gears any more.
Hope to get it fixed soon enough to fly this typhoon this summer!

On a side note, I notice quite a bit of play on the flaps and doesn't center very well. We are talking about almost +/-2mm here. The play is almost 100% due to the servo slack: I used hitec HS125MG all around. Does anyone have any experience with these? is that a common problem?
I am thinking of upgrading to Hyperion, since it seems that I have some time before the maiden anyway!
turnale is offline Find More Posts by turnale
Old Aug 06, 2013, 01:17 PM
Joined Aug 2002
544 Posts
Quote:
Another option is to get a Hornet fuselage - the wings and tail are the same apparently - The hobbyking gliderdrive would fit in there, you even use a standard outrunner apparently - http://www.olerc.com/sailplanes/part...-fuselage.html

I forgot to measure the fuselage yesterday. I will do that tonight.

I almost maidened the eTyphoon yesterday, but right before the launch the gearbox failed on me. A quick check showed that the main shaft gear had slipped all the way back and didn't engage to the planetary gears any more.
Hope to get it fixed soon enough to fly this typhoon this summer!

On a side note, I notice quite a bit of play on the flaps and doesn't center very well. We are talking about almost +/-2mm here. The play is almost 100% due to the servo slack: I used hitec HS125MG all around. Does anyone have any experience with these? is that a common problem?
I am thinking of upgrading to Hyperion, since it seems that I have some time before the maiden anyway!
I stopped using those servos for the same reason - poor centring and lots of slop. Am now using hyperion DS095-FMD wing servos and am delighted with the performance. I did have one dead on arrival, but his was changed by the supplier with no problems.

Martin
Old Aug 06, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinh View Post
I stopped using those servos for the same reason - poor centring and lots of slop. Am now using hyperion DS095-FMD wing servos and am delighted with the performance. I did have one dead on arrival, but his was changed by the supplier with no problems.

Martin
I stopped using Hitec servos after one of the HS-5125MG just burst into flames inside a newly purchased Pike perfect (cost me back then 900 euros)!
I had to replace the whole wing center piece.
Since I have used only JR servos and MKS servos for my wing surfaces.
Old Aug 06, 2013, 03:27 PM
Joined May 2006
153 Posts
Quote:
I stopped using Hitec servos after one of the HS-5125MG just burst into flames inside a newly purchased Pike perfect (cost me back then 900 euros)!
!!!
Wow, that is orders of magnitude worst that just not centering properly!

Thanks for the feedback, I just ordered a set of Hyperion 095.
Old Aug 06, 2013, 05:07 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,318 Posts
Quote:
Ouch! Hyperion ds095-fmd here too and futaba s3150 for flaps. For ail ds09-amd. Would prefer not to use bec, hopefully soon hv servos will not be too expensive, but for now I put all my trust in cc and dimension bec, which is better do you think?
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Aug 06, 2013, 05:45 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
Ouch! Hyperion ds095-fmd here too and futaba s3150 for flaps. For ail ds09-amd. Would prefer not to use bec, hopefully soon hv servos will not be too expensive, but for now I put all my trust in cc and dimension bec, which is better do you think?
Good idea!
Have you tried this switched BEC: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...h=bec%20switch
I have no experience with Hyperion servos and Futaba never failed me (although I was always a JR guy).
The one time I compromised on servos - I was burned (laterally)
Old Aug 06, 2013, 09:13 PM
Joined May 2006
153 Posts
Ok guys, this is going to be a great news, and will settle this question once and for all: does the Hobbyking GliderDrive fits in the typhoon?
And this answer is yes!

Have a look at the picture if proof is needed.
I could push it without forcing up to where I have my Leopard 2860/2730Kv and 5:1 Reisenauer gear box combo.
Granted, there will be no possibility to set some down thurst.

Hobbyking motor:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...4_6_840kv.html
Old Aug 06, 2013, 09:55 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Ok guys, this is going to be a great news, and will settle this question once and for all: does the Hobbyking GliderDrive fits in the typhoon?
And this answer is yes!

Have a look at the picture if proof is needed.
I could push it without forcing up to where I have my Leopard 2860/2730Kv and 5:1 Reisenauer gear box combo.
Granted, there will be no possibility to set some down thurst.

Hobbyking motor:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...4_6_840kv.html
Excellent news!
Thank you!