HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:20 AM
Joined Nov 2012
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouch View Post
hey all I just ordered one of these today (great price btw from here at the moment if anyone is looking for one) http://www.apachobby.com/weekly-specials.html and whist I notice a few higher end motor combos in here, I was just curious if anyone has fitted anything HK budget to power it, as in turnigy or eq. I don't fancy spending a fortune on a motor and personally have had good results with the turnigy motors I have owned so far. I'm after something spritely so I'm guessing around the 1KW mark?
I'm not an expert, but I think if you don't have urgency to beat 400ft in 2 seconds then go for any cheap combo that can fit there. The only problem with Typhoon is, there's not a lot of room for decent outrunners. In my opinion, it's a great allrounder. You can thermall, doing fast powerless dives, aerobatics etc.. You only need power to get you up there
vil64 is offline Find More Posts by vil64
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:53 AM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,761 Posts
Quote:
there's not a lot of room for decent outrunners
hence all the geared inrunner combos I see in here then. What is the max dia motor I should be looking for, also realising I need to allow for any wire exit points. I had the same prob with another glider, found a motor to fit, but then quickly realised the wires exited at the prop end and would have rubbed on the way through.

So whilst it's on it's way in the post I thought I might go and grab some bits for it.

I have a mega 22-20-3. It comes in at a dia of 36mm. but it might be a little too hot even if it does fit at 1850KV weight is 160 grams, so it's not overly light either.

I have a few friends with the slope version and I really love how they fly, but the E version was more practical for me.
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:22 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
hence all the geared inrunner combos I see in here then. What is the max dia motor I should be looking for, also realising I need to allow for any wire exit points. I had the same prob with another glider, found a motor to fit, but then quickly realised the wires exited at the prop end and would have rubbed on the way through.

So whilst it's on it's way in the post I thought I might go and grab some bits for it.

I have a mega 22-20-3. It comes in at a dia of 36mm. but it might be a little too hot even if it does fit at 1850KV weight is 160 grams, so it's not overly light either.

I have a few friends with the slope version and I really love how they fly, but the E version was more practical for me.
I just got the apachobby typhoon with the mvvs redliner motor installed so looking forward to maidening with this setup. I suggest you look at the latest hobby king hotliner motor for this bird. Its a great price

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
S2000442 is offline Find More Posts by S2000442
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:19 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,177 Posts
And calling that a hotliner motor is like calling a ford transit a WRC car.

Low kv inrunner = high resistance + no torque

If you want cheap performance, buy a good gearbox (ie kontronic KPG25/27) and bolt a cheap inrunner too it (ie the HK KDA motors) or better yet a scorpion 22 series outrunner (the high kV heli series). Its not worth wasting time and money playing with overamped outrunners or direct drive inrunners. Performance is always dull, been there done that. Dont waste your money on rubbish
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:38 AM
Which way is it going now
Australia, SA, Golden Grove
Joined Mar 2003
438 Posts
Motor choice

In post #42 I took some photos of different motors in the front of E-Phoon.

At the moment I'm running a:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLWY5&P=0

with a:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWVT4&P=0

At around 750W the E-Phoon climbs vertically to high in around 10secs.
mstone is online now Find More Posts by mstone
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:30 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
And calling that a hotliner motor is like calling a ford transit a WRC car.

Low kv inrunner = high resistance + no torque

If you want cheap performance, buy a good gearbox (ie kontronic KPG25/27) and bolt a cheap inrunner too it (ie the HK KDA motors) or better yet a scorpion 22 series outrunner (the high kV heli series). Its not worth wasting time and money playing with overamped outrunners or direct drive inrunners. Performance is always dull, been there done that. Dont waste your money on rubbish
Good to know and thanks for the input. So what hk kda motor "kv" do you recommend. Please don't tell me the mvvs redliner motor is crap also
S2000442 is offline Find More Posts by S2000442
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:07 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,177 Posts
Not at all the MVVS motors are good for a small diameter outrunner turning a large prop. Still not in the same ball park as a high kV inrunner running through a gearbox.

Doesnt look like HK are stocking the small keda inrunners any more. Still a few other options.

kV depends on what voltage you want to run? Lets us know what packs, and esc you want to use and Ill have a looksee.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:53 AM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
In post #42 I took some photos of different motors in the front of E-Phoon.

At the moment I'm running a:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLWY5&P=0

with a:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWVT4&P=0

At around 750W the E-Phoon climbs vertically to high in around 10secs.
Yep, that sounds about the sort of numbers I like!

Thanks for that, mstone, that gearbox price looks pretty good to me too.

I didn't realise the nose was so skinny in this plane.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:47 AM
Which way is it going now
Australia, SA, Golden Grove
Joined Mar 2003
438 Posts
The plane with this set up does require the battery to be stuffed as far back as possible, like under the wing joiner.

One of the HET fan motors would be good but I'm not sure the gearbox would fix.
mstone is online now Find More Posts by mstone
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:18 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,177 Posts
6S 1900 mah, Mega 16/25/2+KPG25 fits ~2kW (HET are chinese mega copies btw)

Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:33 AM
Isle of Wight (UK)
Joined Oct 2010
217 Posts
Finally got my servo's in, I have purchased a wiring harness to speed things up, cant wait to get this flying, I have only fitted a small motor as I fly on cliff tops most of the time so only need power if no slope lift.
iwchris is offline Find More Posts by iwchris
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:16 PM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
6S 1900 mah, Mega 16/25/2+KPG25 fits ~2kW (HET are chinese mega copies btw)

cool setup Jackosmeister! I'm about to pick up one of these gearboxes but if I can I would like to use a mega 16-15-4 I have also laying around. The -4 is a 2200 KV motor. I was thinking the -25 Gearbox, but not sure if the motor has enough KV without going to a large number of cells. Any experience with this motor in geared config? or at least this KV rating motor. I have been stuck in outrunner land for too long!

Or should I just look for a higher KV motor and be done with it? Cells and cell count are open as such as I will have to buy new ones for this plane anyway.

btw, found your thread on assembling these gearboxes, some handy info, thanks for that!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:38 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,177 Posts
Heya Gouch, never tried a 16/15 on a gearbox, but no reason you cant

The longer can 16/25+ series would be a better bet for more power, but the 15 series should be able to handle ~1kW in a LMR setup (as long as you are careful with how long you kee the throttle on).

Settling on a prop/cell count could be tricky, with the 4 turn (which ive never played with) id imagine 40-50A is safe (LMR) 5-6S with the 5.2 box and ~14" prop would be in the zone Id imagine

Is it going into a typhoon?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:34 AM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,761 Posts
yes mate, the typhoon. It'll be a slow build as I have too much real life stuff getting in the way at the moment.

I like how that gearbox can obviously handle a LOT of power, so I will go with that over the other one mentioned earlier. I won't be pushing it like you have yours, but It's nice to know if I do want to ramp it up later or for another airframe.

So the 5.2 you reckon? I would have thought the 4.2 but I'm only thinking that due to the 4 turn being "only" 2200 but I'm definately all ears, this will be my first gearbox setup since the old GWS stick mount brushed 400 days!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:52 AM
fast,,,, faster
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,402 Posts
Quote:
Yep, that sounds about the sort of numbers I like!

Thanks for that, mstone, that gearbox price looks pretty good to me too.

I didn't realise the nose was so skinny in this plane.
I use that gearbox on my scorpion 2221/10 for 880watts on 15x13 this is a 3000kv motor.130g total .
Ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Last edited by FASTBEN; Dec 11, 2012 at 01:13 PM.