HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2010, 10:42 AM
Leicestershire
Joined Sep 2006
1,184 Posts
The Hyperion 30 series motors have an interesting backplate supplementary mount which also manages the wire route down the back of the motor. To me it looks achievable to approach 150w/lb on the 2218-10 which is a LOT of performance. But the 30 series may well fit if the supplementary mount is also used. It would also add a lot of torsional strength to the nose. I'm going with the 2218 on mine, but I have a colleague who is looking at using the Hyp 30 motor. I'm fairly sure it will fit, but a careful install will be needed, but I believe that is made quite straightforward with Hyperion's additional backplate.

I would argue that the Typhoon does not need 1kw for vertical performance though! I think you'll be surprised how pokey it will be on 600W. It is considerably more efficient than a Blizzard.

Z
Zimodile is offline Find More Posts by Zimodile
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2010, 03:21 PM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
Z,

I totally agree, 1kw probably not needed. And if someone wants to just gain altitude any which way, then a lot less will work too. I'm used to getting my kicks with 700W in my Blizzard though, so I would be looking for at a bare minimum, the same performance.

Rob, would you be able to post the bare airframe weight (including joiners and hardware) please? Sorry to be a pain!! Also, what is the length between the front of the fuse/firewall and the leading edge?

The Hyperion figures were, I believe, acquired with previous generation cells (which at that point in time would have been 25C, it was before the G3 VX cells were released. So, with a HobbyKing 40C pack, it would be interesting to see what the GS2218-10 would do. Granted, that would be well over the burst rating for the motor...but Hyperions are famed for dealing with power beyond their ratings.

Shame none of the cheaper outrunner motors will fit - i.e. Turnigy C35-xx. I'm serious about a higher KV outrunner and a cheap gearbox...if only I could find a cheap gearbox!!
pilotrcuk is offline Find More Posts by pilotrcuk
Old May 17, 2010, 03:23 PM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooSey-UK View Post
I've been waiting to see some nose dimensions.
It's a bit narrow is'nt it
Even some of the geared inrunners might be limited in fit here as there does'nt appear to be much taper.
Certainly appears to be limited in terms of a budget outrunner fit for those that want an E-fuz alternative to a glider.
A 40mm nose would have opened up a world of 38mm outrunners and 1Kw+.

Looks like the Alex/Spirit XL-E is still a contender for this price/span performance E-glider??

MooSey, I totally agree. However, no getting away from the fact that the Typhoon fuselage is a minimal, tidy affair - and the glider version is similarly narrow, as it doesn't have to support a motor. I'm searching for cheaper 28mm inrunner options right now!!
Old May 17, 2010, 03:55 PM
Born Again Idiot
Curacao, Curaçao, Willemstad
Joined Jul 2007
435 Posts
Im just waiting for you trailblazers to tell us what works and show us vids

MooSey-UK is offline Find More Posts by MooSey-UK
Old May 18, 2010, 01:20 AM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
LOL, well, some progress for me, I just bought a Medusa 28-56-2800 V2 & gearbox combo off the Classifieds here on RCG, so this will definately fit in the Typhoon fuz - the owner tells me he was seeing 1100W/3S and 1400W/4S...

Old May 18, 2010, 06:43 AM
Joined Jun 2008
383 Posts
Nice grab!

I just put in the order for the below:
HP Gs2218 10-Turn 1337-Kv
Aeronaut CAM Carbon-Plastic 14.0x8.0
HP TITAN 80 ESC PSW (i hope this is the right one... It's switching)
HP 2xDS12 Digi servo's

All up came in at about ~US$250

Rob
millikenrob is offline Find More Posts by millikenrob
Old May 18, 2010, 07:06 AM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
Nice!! I can't wait to hear what you think of the GS2218-10. Do you have any logging equipment to get numbers?

I have some Hyperion servos (DS095-AMD & DS09-GMD) to go in an F5J model, they seem very nice, though I've only tested them but the word on here is they are excellent. Do you know what depth is avaialble in the wing for the servos?

I'm still keen to go for HS5065MGs all round.

Warrick at SlopeRacer invited me to place a preorder for a Typhoon - it's hard to say no now I have secured that geared Medusa!! I still like the Alex though for putting a cheaper outrunner solution in, but I'm NOT getting two hotliners!! I found a 28mm planetary gearbox on eBay, only 3.7:1 but opens the door for me experimenting with higher kv outrunners (or cheaper inrunners)... Not enough time!! Or money...
Old May 18, 2010, 07:44 AM
Joined Jun 2008
383 Posts
I started with the slope version, thats running ds95 in the wings (which are great, and really you need a 9mm servo, 10mm max) and 5085's in the fuse. Liked the slope version so much i had to get the e-version.

Dont have any logging gear - hobbycity has a cheapish one that i'll grab when i grab some new batteries.

I'll keep you posted!
Rob
millikenrob is offline Find More Posts by millikenrob
Old May 18, 2010, 03:28 PM
Joined Apr 2009
34 Posts
Hi guys sorry for my long absent but i was really busy i barely had some time for myself...!! I still haven't the plane cause i really had to put some money to my bank account but as i see this thread is still alive and getting bigger...!!

Moreover anyone who has e-typhoon and wants to do a presentation of course he can do it on this thread..!
Ghost_ is offline Find More Posts by Ghost_
Old May 18, 2010, 03:29 PM
Joined Apr 2009
34 Posts
Guys i hear a lot of watts here does this plane really want so many watts...?
Ghost_ is offline Find More Posts by Ghost_
Old May 18, 2010, 03:33 PM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
Hell yes!!
Old May 19, 2010, 07:39 AM
Which way is it going now
Australia, SA, Golden Grove
Joined Mar 2003
439 Posts
Purple E-Phoon

Mine arrived today from Andrew at www.falcongliders.com.au in a strong well padded box.

As noted earlier by Rob the new Typhoons have incidence pins at the front and rear of the wing saddles so the E-Fuse will work with older and newer wings.

You can see from the photos below there is plenty of room for many power and battery options. For those going to the extremes standard 3S 2000mAh packs will slide under the wing joiner so you can get 6S with two series packs if required. I'll check a bit later if you can actually balance the model without lead this way.

Also for the power hungry people a Neu 1500 series with P32 gearbox just fits in. I did have to smooth the joint between the two halves of the fuse to get it in place.

As for the Turnigy 35 series and the Hyperion GS3025 they would go in if you ran the wires through the outside of the fuse it is very very tight and the wires would have to go right back past the motor before you could bring them back in, I wouldn't do it.

The Hyperion GS2218 will fit without a problem.

To start with I'm going for a Turnigy 2836-100 will be set to run at about 300W, with plush 40A speedy and a 1350mAh 30c pack. Don't think I can push it quite as hard as the GS2218. Just have to make sure I can balance it without lead in the nose.

Servos: for the elevator I'm going for a JR DS368, because I already have it. It will need spacers under the lugs but should fit. The 368 is about the same size as a HS85. The rudder I have some GWS Naro + BBs which fit the holes but again will need spacers under the lugs. HS65 fits without need for spaces.

Andrew also included a nice bag of quality MP-Jet clevises and adapters to go on the end of the supplied carbon push rods.

Mark
mstone is offline Find More Posts by mstone
Old May 19, 2010, 07:55 AM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
Mark, thanks for taking the time to setup and post all those pics - very handy!! Interesting to hear that a P32/15xx will fit... I have a 1509/1.5D/6.7 but it's destined for a 3.1m F5J model - I'm thinking it might pull the wings off!! Mind you, 1S2P 2000...

I was getting to thinking about the Neu 1110/1.5Y/6.7 option that many seem to go with on the BulleT/BirdE/etc, but that's £££/$$$ - then I saw the s/h Medusa 28-56-2800 V2/'box and thought it was worth a shot.

Shame about the Turnigy 35 (and moreso GS30xx) not fitting - I've got a C35-48 on order from HK as it dawned on me the other day that I can fit the 4S 2250 40C Rhino pack into the Blizzard - that should boost me from 700W (on C35-42 1100Kv, 3S) to near 1kW I'm hoping, and would have been nice to transplant that into the eTyphoon. Cest la vie!!

Are you laying down a challenge with that colour scheme, or was it a bet?!! j/k
Old May 19, 2010, 08:23 AM
Which way is it going now
Australia, SA, Golden Grove
Joined Mar 2003
439 Posts
The colour I like, maybe a bit too close to pink, but will be good on the slope with all the other white and yellow models around.

I also have a 1509 in a 3.2m F5J model and at 1500W it's frightening, currently prop'ed down to 800W while testing the new 200m rules.

At 600W to 800W the typhoon would be good. A Hacker B40L or the Neu 1110 fit right into that bracket but as you stated more money.

I'd like to keep the E-Phoon as light as possible to start with.

Mark
mstone is offline Find More Posts by mstone
Old May 19, 2010, 08:28 AM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
Mark, would you be able to give me some more details on your F5J model offline please? I'm hoping to run 3S 40C on an 18.5x12 Aeronaut to start with, but have similar sized Robbe CFK in case. I'm hoping to get to 1500W too. This is to go in a 3.1m Graphite DBox which has the Mk1 fuselage with nosecone which bolts at the bottom - I'm concerned that 1500W is asking too much of that single bolt retention method...

Sorry for the off-topic everyone!!

I'm thinking of going for a custom, yet plain colour for my Phoo-e, maybe red fuse and tops with black bottoms - I'll add an orientation-aiding white stripe or something myself.

What diameter spinner do we need? And how much length from nose to LE do we have for playing with props?

Also, are the flaps bottom hinged - it's always nice to get close on 90 degree down for crow...

And finally...!! What is the max depth of servos required for the wing without making the covers bulge? 12mm would be good for most regular micro servos (i.e. 5065MG)
Last edited by pilotrcuk; May 19, 2010 at 09:02 AM.