HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:40 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,843 Posts
lukey, surely you have a spare switch or two that can control a spare auxilary channel for throttle?
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:14 AM
voodoo magic maaan
United Kingdom, England, Merton
Joined Jan 2011
342 Posts
I have programmed it so that the "gear" switch sends the throttle to 100% and have proportional crow brakes mixed with elevator on the throttle stick
The dx8 isnt easy to program a sailplane, I used a program from the spektrum community but if I hadnt had access to that it would have been impossible!
I have not maidened her yet - quite nervous about doing so actually!
Here is a picture of her balanced and ready to rock..
lukeydukey10 is offline Find More Posts by lukeydukey10
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:51 AM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,843 Posts
I like the black fuz with colored wings combo. One of these days I might buy the slope fuz in black.

Good luck with your maiden. Typhoon is a big stable plane you should have no troubles at all.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:13 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,497 Posts
lukeydukey
I nearly bought the Dx8 Tx, after numerous headaches trying to set up my Dx-7 heli tx for sailplanes. I read RCG online forums, to discover the Dx8 had no sailplane programing. I also had problems with the carbon fuse AR 6250 Spektrum receiver. So I bought the Futaba 8FG instead of the Dx8. Futaba has great sailplane programming, compact receivers for carbon fuse aircraft, too. No need to set up remotes everywhere, either.
Still have the Dx7 tx for foamies, and helicopters.

nice colours on your Typhoon..I like the black fuse and orange wings too
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Oct 18, 2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:55 AM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post
Futaba has great sailplane programming, compact receivers for carbon fuse aircraft, too. No need to set up remotes everywhere, either.
Remote RX is good!!! It's your diversity antenna...
..so, Why I'm not using it on my phoon???
.. cause AR6250 do the job, you shouldn't tape it against carbon surfaces, in case of carbon surface put the antennas outside and use a tube to hold the antennas in position, use 90 degrees angle between then... will be fine.

André
decones is offline Find More Posts by decones
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:23 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,497 Posts
Hope you don't have the AR6250..they were recalled by Spektrum over a year ago.. I returned all my AR6250 receivers to Horizon.

from Spektrum web site.
Quote:
Attention Spektrum AR6250 Owners

Horizon has received reports of customers losing RF link when using AR6250’s within certain environments. After close monitoring and testing, Horizon has detected isolated issues with AR6250’s used in carbon fiber applications or in products containing highly reflective material. In these applications, Horizon has found that RF link issues may result in loss of communications.

Horizon has performed an analysis of the AR6250 receiver and is in process of testing a newly designed receiver.

All consumers who have AR6250’s are strongly encouraged to discontinue use and return these receivers to Horizon for a free upgrade, which should be available in August.

Please click here to initiate the service request and fill out the on-line form.

You may also initiate a service request by e-mailing the Horizon Product Support team. Please put “AR6250 Recall” in the subject line and include your shipping address and daytime phone number. Click here to e-mail your request to Horizon Product Support.

If you have any questions or would like to initiate a service request via telephone, please call our Product Support group at 1-877-504-0233.

For US and Canadian consumers, Horizon will pay for all ground shipping charges to and from our US service center. Customers outside the US and Canada should contact their retailer or local Spektrum distributor. Within Europe, please follow these links to our service centers in England or Germany. Australian consumers can follow this link.

We apologize for this inconvenience. Horizon disclaims all liability and warranties for any consumer failing to act upon this service advisory.
Last edited by 320pilot; Oct 18, 2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 12:21 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
Guess I'll jump in here as I just ordered a carbon E Typhoon and Neu 1110/1/6.7 (hope I got that right) prop and spinner from Soaring USA. Sounds like a fantastic all around glider. I want to slope it and fly it at the power field as well, everyone at my field is fascinated by my Blizzard, wait until they get a load of this! The design ticked all the boxes. Four servo wing for big air and tight landing areas, not too big or too small, two piece wing, acrobatic but can get some time in thermals, descent power but not really a "hot" setup, having both fuses should make even dead days at the slope big fun. Plus I have a box full of good 3 and 4s 2200 mAh Lipos. I wish someone here had flown the Neu motor on 4s. Has anyone? Too bad about the QQ issues, I'll definitely know where to look but the one guys experience is a real buzz kill! Anyway, I'll let you know how it looks when I get it in a couple days but for the most part I am psyched
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Nov 03, 2011, 02:13 AM
voodoo magic maaan
United Kingdom, England, Merton
Joined Jan 2011
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husafreak View Post
Guess I'll jump in here as I just ordered a carbon E Typhoon and Neu 1110/1/6.7 (hope I got that right) prop and spinner from Soaring USA. Sounds like a fantastic all around glider. I want to slope it and fly it at the power field as well, everyone at my field is fascinated by my Blizzard, wait until they get a load of this! The design ticked all the boxes. Four servo wing for big air and tight landing areas, not too big or too small, two piece wing, acrobatic but can get some time in thermals, descent power but not really a "hot" setup, having both fuses should make even dead days at the slope big fun. Plus I have a box full of good 3 and 4s 2200 mAh Lipos. I wish someone here had flown the Neu motor on 4s. Has anyone? Too bad about the QQ issues, I'll definitely know where to look but the one guys experience is a real buzz kill! Anyway, I'll let you know how it looks when I get it in a couple days but for the most part I am psyched
Have fun with that plane - I have one as well but am yet to maiden
I am running it on 3S 2200, 4S 2200 will not fit
I have a contronic motor and gearbox and running the prop on full beans makes the most awesome sound, it comes in at 750 watts and its going to be very fast...
I have a slope fuz as well and am also yet to maiden that one
I guess I am just a bit nervous as this is my first moulded 6ch plane, I can fly small hotliners so am hoping this will be a breeze its just this is the most expensive project (s) so far so any mistakes will be very costly!
Its coming soon though, will keep you posted!
lukeydukey10 is offline Find More Posts by lukeydukey10
Old Nov 03, 2011, 06:13 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,497 Posts
Husafreak wrote
Quote:
I wish someone here had flown the Neu motor on 4s. Has anyone?
here is a NAN Orion flying with the Neu1110/1Y/6.7 flying on 4S, Phx 125
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=34

video link here
http://www.youtube.com/user/SoaringUSA?feature=mhum
Old Nov 04, 2011, 02:54 PM
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
Hmmm, Bob at SUSA definitely said I could use 3 OR 4s so I will have to see for myself. I spoke to Gary (?) yesterday and he recommended I reinforce the nose ahead of the wing so I'll lay some CF or FG in there. I wonder if Epoxy will be OK (cure) there or if a glass resin would be better? I am also on the fence about servos, I would love to use Hitec 125's and the supplied mounts but really want to just glue in the Hyperion wing servo's, they look great and probably center better. Then again a trip to my garage/hobby warehouse did just turn up 4 Airtronics 94761 digtals taken out of a 500 class heli I recently sold (12mm wide) and 4 NOS JRDS368 servos that were not used yet but earmarked for a Mirag slope ship I never assembled... Those are kinda big 12.5mm. Hitec HS65MG servos seem small for this ship though, so much power and weight...
Old Nov 04, 2011, 03:09 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,327 Posts
2S2P 2200 would work, 2x2S packs end on end. I got 6S 1900 in mine, tight though.

Dunno what your planning for an ESC, but a phoenix 125 would be a bit bulky and a waste of it. A castle ice lite would easily keep up.

You need to reinforce the nose around the canopy cutout, carbon preferably.

The hyperion wing servos, or the SJ propo that are the same without the hyperion sticker are great servos. HS65's would be OK for the tail feathers, I wouldnt use MG's though, too easy to get slop in the flying stab.
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Nov 04, 2011, 03:15 PM
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
Just spent some time on SUSA website. I must have been doing pretty well financially back when I bought these servos! I'm going to put the JR's in the two fuses (I got a slope and E version) and the 4 Airtronics in the wings. They should fit at 10mm wide and SUSA advertises them as thin wing servos so... As for recievers I haven't been sloping or gliding on 2.4 yet but I will be now (JR11X). It looks like the Spectrum Carbon ready reciever is a short range type without satellites. And only 6 ch. So for full range in the E Typhoon I can use the 7ch Rx with a satellite all inside the nose area ahead of the CF. For the slope version what is preferred, 6 ch with sat in the nose or the 6ch CF Rx with external antenna? I'll try that question over at the slope thread too. Thanks
Old Nov 04, 2011, 03:27 PM
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
Hi Jacko, thanks for all your input earlier in the thread. 2S2P 2200, great. I'll get one and set up the fuse to accommodate 3s1P or 2S2P interchangeably. I have a CC Phoenix 80 so I intend to use that with some kind of external Rx battery, SUSA recommends the Eneloops but 4AA cells would be big, I also have small Lipo packs in various sizes I could use with a small Medusa voltage regulator, Or go straight 2s Hyperion Life and hope the servos take it (6.6v). I can wait to see just how small this fuse is I have CF weave for the reinforcement but what glue/resin should I use and are we talking just around the fuse ahead of the wing or all the way around the canopy cutout?
Old Nov 05, 2011, 09:15 PM
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
Another question is whether or not the hotliner crowd typically uses the flight battery to power the radio/servos. Normally I prefer this in my airplanes and helis but the power consumption/current draw in these ships is extreme. I know SUSA recommends a separate Rx battery.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:38 AM
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
E Typhoon is finally on the bench, I promised myself I'd finish my other projects first, so finally got to look at everything together.
First, everything fits! I can get a Neu motor/6.7 gearbox combo, 2 2s 2250 65C TP packs, CC Phoenix 80, Spectrum AR7600, Satellite, and SUSA Eneloop 4 cell 2000 mAh in there no problem. The fuselage has little room at the servo bay, looked like Hitec HS 65 were a little too tall so for the same money as 5065's I got Futaba S3156 Digital, MG, BB servos drop right in. At 27.8 oz-in/2.0 kg-cm and 0.13 sec they are nice servos and no slop just not very beefy. For the wings I will use my Airtronics 94761 wing servo's for the flaps and I got Hyperion DS095-FMD for the ailerons. One cool thing is the aft 4s pack can be set up so that the cg would not change going from 3s to 4s packs. Although with the new 65C packs I will probably just quick charge them at the field between flights and leave them in the glider (hope it never burns!).
Last edited by Husafreak; Dec 23, 2011 at 11:48 AM.