Arggh, the suspense! Any vid yet?
millikenrob is offline Find More Posts by millikenrob
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2010, 10:38 AM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
I need one of these!! Will the Typhoon be able to withstand a LOT of abuse in its electric giuse? I'm interested in running one as a very warmliner and full power dives would be on the agenda
pilotrcuk is offline Find More Posts by pilotrcuk
Old May 05, 2010, 07:01 AM
Joined Jun 2008
383 Posts
hi pilotrcuk, still a pretty new model so not many are flying yet.

I have the slope version and have had it up to 140mph in a dive, so its a fast model. I think a couple of guys have ds'd them faster.b

I'm not sure about abuse though!

Stay tuned,
Rob
Old May 05, 2010, 07:04 AM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
It's a slippery looking model, I like the RCRCM style... How does the custom airfoil compare with MH32 etc?
Old May 09, 2010, 02:03 PM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the max diameter motor will fit in the front of the electric fuz?
Old May 15, 2010, 06:54 AM
Joined Jun 2008
383 Posts
Don't know the max diameter, but have been told that a NEU1110/6.7 (29mm) or a hacker b50/6.7 (36mm) will fit if thats any indication.

I guess both need to be run with a gearbox... The e-sailplane route is a new one for me, so i'll just be copying what someone else does

Rob
Old May 15, 2010, 07:29 AM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
Hey Rob, have you got an e-fuse yet?
Old May 15, 2010, 07:43 PM
Joined Jun 2008
383 Posts
nope, should get it in the next few days.

I've been looking at the hyperion gs2218-10 which will pull 630watts on a 14x8 @60amps.

I know the gs2218 should fit, its 28mm at the widest (though tapered at the front), the other would be the gs3025 which is 37.5mm at its widest (also tapered at the front) - which should allow me to get 1kw.

Power outputs from here: http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/gs/GSpropdata.pdf
Old May 16, 2010, 05:27 AM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
Rob, PLEASE tell me if the GS3025 is a go once you have the e-fuz and motor in hand - I really want a hotliner with this motor (6 wind) for a high power, yet not bank breaking performance. I know la528it looked at the ZS3025 and got some amazing figures:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1086442

I'm unsure though if the Typhoon fuz will take the outrunner diameter AND wires...though the possibility of reverse mounting either a ZS or GS (if shaft can be reversed too) is of interest...
Old May 16, 2010, 05:47 AM
Joined Jun 2008
383 Posts
Yep, i'll be going for the gs2218 before a neu/hacker+gearbox... One of those setups is US$250-US$350.

Ive got someone down here that stocks hyperions so i might hit him up, take the fuse down and see what fits.

I saw a slick way of bringing the wires out of the fuse and back in using a fairing/blister commonly used as servo covers.

I'll keep you posted.

Rob
Old May 16, 2010, 06:28 AM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
Yeah I must admit I've seen a few inelegant approaches to the problem, my preference would be to keep everything tucked up inside...though not at the expense of rubbing motor cables!!
Old May 17, 2010, 07:29 AM
Joined Jun 2008
383 Posts
Right, all arrived! Thanks to Andrew at www.falcongliders.com.au for hooking me up - he's always happy to help and good/safe shipping.

First impressions - all good. Canopy came with piano wire attached and glassed in there. A few little differences i noticed though against the slope fuz - maybe because i have an earlier version of the typhoon? Differences below:

Wing saddle: I did notice that there was a extra hole at the leading edge... My wings have incidence pins only at the trailing edge... The rear incidence pins are a little too tight, but no problems, just need to make them little bigger.

Vert Stab: This version doesnt have the metal collar on the all moving tailplane pivot point. It just looks like a hole that the carbon joiner goes through - a little too tight, but nothing i cant fix with some sand paper.

There is servo mounting points down the fuz behind the wing. I think i'll be using HS65HB/MG which should be powerful enough.

The nose has 35mm outer-diameter and a 33mm inner-diameter from what i can tell.

Plenty of room for batteries inside.

At this point im thinking of:
Motor: Hyperion GS2218-10 - 27.85mm max diameter, and tapered tip so plenty of room for the wires i should think. Not sure if the 3025 would fit.
Prop: Aeronaut 14x8
Should equate to: 635Watts @ 60amps. (http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/gs/GSpropdata.pdf)
ESC: Not quite sure - possibly 70-80amp CC or Hyperion - suggestions?
Batteries: If im using 2200 3s packs, and im pulling 60 amps, i should need a minimum of 30C (if my math/understanding is correct). My current packs are good for that, though might invest in a couple more packs targeted at getting balance right.

So - 635 watts - i have no idea how much power that is, or how much zoom it will give.

Really looking forward to getting this flying - well done James on another great plane!

If anyone has any suggestions to the above let me know. I'm trying to stay away from the inrunner+gearbox at this point. Too much $$$.

Thanks,
Rob
Old May 17, 2010, 08:06 AM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
Nice model Rob - congrats!! Thanks for all the piccies etc, much appreciated. 33mm ID on the nose isn't going to work for the ZS30xx or GS30xx due to it not having too much taper - oh well!! I thought one of the GS2218 options was on the data sheet for about 800W? I'm used to flying my Blizzard on 700W and this model will undoubtedly be a little heavier, so I would be looking for preferably 1kW.

Sounds like you were expecting a few more finishing touches that you have on your slope version versus what this model has come with - lack of metal collars etc?

I have 4 HiTec 5065MGs on the ailerons on a SebArt Miss Wind, the digital version of the 65MG, and I won't hesitate to use them again - very fast and precise on 6V.

PS it's crossed my mind to put a gearbox on a high Kv outrunner and see what performance I got...
Old May 17, 2010, 08:18 AM
Joined Jun 2008
383 Posts
I think i actually prefer the lack of metal collar on this one. On my other fuz the collars worked themselves undone and i lost one... Had to fabricate a new one

So you're thinking 630watts not enough?
Old May 17, 2010, 08:43 AM
Born Again Idiot
Curacao, Curaçao, Willemstad
Joined Jul 2007
435 Posts
I've been waiting to see some nose dimensions.
It's a bit narrow is'nt it
Even some of the geared inrunners might be limited in fit here as there does'nt appear to be much taper.
Certainly appears to be limited in terms of a budget outrunner fit for those that want an E-fuz alternative to a glider.
A 40mm nose would have opened up a world of 38mm outrunners and 1Kw+.

Looks like the Alex/Spirit XL-E is still a contender for this price/span performance E-glider??
MooSey-UK is online now Find More Posts by MooSey-UK