HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:44 AM
Joined Mar 2008
4 Posts
Help!
micro aerial vehicle

hello friends
I am planning to make a completely autonomous micro aerial vehicle(MAV).Am new to this hobby of RC modeling so am in need of your help.Basically the MAV will be hand launched and will navigate using way points(GPS navigation),the landing will be autonomous though!!
Once in air,the MAV will have to locate the consecutive way points and head towards them,finally landing at a particular spot.Am planning to program this entire thing using embedded systems(microcontroller 8051) and control the MAV only using the ground station computer(will not be using the RC set).
1. I just wanted to know which type of aircraft can be used for this particular project.It must be small enough and light in weight, but at the same time be capable of accommodating all the electronic items.
2. Also please let me know what are the various instruments required on board and for the ground station.A general overview(specifically pictorial representation of the entire setup) would be very helpful.
3. What are accelerometers and gyroscopes ??
4. Type of sensors to be used ??
5. What is the purpose of using an Autopilot and what does it comprise of Is it necessary to use one,i mean is there any alternative to this??
This would be similar to one shown below..
Fireball - Fixed Wing Autonomous Vehicle (2 min 5 sec)

Thanks
Prashanths
prashanth s is offline Find More Posts by prashanth s
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:53 AM
Joined Jun 2006
25 Posts
You have a whole lot of reading to do before you can even attempt this project. I would suggest browsing this site along with others like diydrones.com. Then come back with any questions you have. I am no trying to be rude but you are asking others to provide all the information they have gained through reading these sources themselves.
chopsuey is offline Find More Posts by chopsuey
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:08 PM
Joined Mar 2008
4 Posts
no issues friend..thanxs !!
Old Apr 01, 2010, 08:26 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2009
574 Posts
Indeed, you have a lot of reading to do. There are a lot of complicated systems involved. If you know anything about electronics or programming, you have an advantage, but building a small aircraft the size of an MAV is tricky.

Here is a good book worth reading: http://www.aiaa.org/content.cfm?pageid=360&id=1584

It talks a bit about how to design the MAV itself, as well as the autopilot.
aero_k is offline Find More Posts by aero_k
Old Apr 01, 2010, 09:11 AM
Joined Mar 2008
4 Posts
thanks a lot friend
Old Apr 04, 2010, 04:20 AM
Joined Mar 2008
4 Posts
alright...skimmed through the pages of DIYDRONE and found a whole lot of info on UAVs.
Now,please let me know if its possible to program the ardupilot according to our needs and can it be used for autonomous take off and landing??what would be the cost of the board along with gyros,accelerometers(IMUs)and GPS receiver??i reside in india and is it possible for me to get one imported here??

thanks
prashanths