Closed Thread
Old Jun 13, 2011, 03:06 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyrabbit1954 View Post
The following is a fine example of why I distrust HK. I'll say up front its not just HK who sells items like this, as there are other examples too, but for whatever reason, HK seems to get a pass when others do not:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...427184&page=36

If it wasn't serious, it would be almost comical to read how these poor modelers were taken by a company who advertised a product as something it is not.
I read the reviews and a lot of the thread posts and was wondering what you feel they "advertised as something it is not"?

Looks like a typical thread on any "park flyer" plane, guys overpropping, overpowering, landing hard (crash), etc. Some were pushing 28A into a 14A motor. I would guess most buyers of these planes are probably are on the new side of electric piloting and don't have a lot of tools like ampmeters, etc and make mistakes on how much abuse the stuff can take.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2011, 03:09 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
I would much prefer taking a chance on something like this rather than giving my money for a Hobby King or Banana Hobby airframe:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1454937

A guy can find some pretty sweet deals on the RCG for-sale forums
Agreed! but Just a side note- I would be very careful about buying from someone with little post and 0 ratings- seen too many people get ripped off.

like this one:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1452828

or others that simply take money and send nothing.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Jun 13, 2011, 03:20 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
917 Posts
You betcha - I read that thread. What puzzles me is why the buyer bought a used radio that cost him just $5 less than what he could have bought it for brand new with a full factory warranty and everything. It's a good example of both a buyer who didn't do his homework and a crappy seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
Agreed! but Just a side note- I would be very careful about buying from someone with little post and 0 ratings- seen too many people get ripped off.

like this one:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1452828

or others that simply take money and send nothing.
daddyrabbit1954 is offline Find More Posts by daddyrabbit1954
Old Jun 13, 2011, 03:31 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
917 Posts
This is the Hobby King headline: The Hobby king Extra 260 is a genuine 3D performer
Clearly, it is not a 3D performer.
The "guys" (meaning, the modelers who bought it) did not over prop it. They flew it with the prop that it came with and was advertised as the prop to use. If anyone, Hobby King and their supplier over-propped it.
If you watch the videos and read the thread, you will find that even gentle landings caused the gear to fail. See for yourself.
Yes, the motor as configured from HK was over-amped. You are saying this is the modeler's fault?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I read the reviews and a lot of the thread posts and was wondering what you feel they "advertised as something it is not"?

Looks like a typical thread on any "park flyer" plane, guys overpropping, overpowering, landing hard (crash), etc. Some were pushing 28A into a 14A motor. I would guess most buyers of these planes are probably are on the new side of electric piloting and don't have a lot of tools like ampmeters, etc and make mistakes on how much abuse the stuff can take.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 04:12 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
I purchased two of these,TR 35-30A 1700kv from Hobby King a while back. The price was certainly low and I have an Eflite pulse and I thought this would be a good alternative to the anemic Park 480.

This is supposed to be a 340 watt motor and also an equivalent to the AXI 2208/20. Well at 35mm I knew it was hardly equivalent to the AXI motor but again they were inexpensive. I proped the first one at 8X4 and was just under three hundred watts. By the way you can prop the little AXI 2208/20 at 8X6 and get almost 400 watts out of it and it will take it all day long. the HK motor survived 4 flights none of which were flown at more than 3/4 throttle. It simply locked up.

The next one was propped at 7X6, well under 300 watts. It made it for two flights but at least it made a spectacular puff of smoke when it conked. I still have that one on my work bench as a paper weight, at least I got some use out of it.

So I am now running an AXI 2808/20 and with 15 or so flights on it and it runs like a dream.

So it seems Hobby King misrepresents a lot of their products I have to agree with daddyrabbit that they get a pass. There is a chorus of "oh but it's cheap", "what do you expect".

I expect truth, honesty, and service. Am I expecting too much?
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Old Jun 13, 2011, 04:33 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
I expect truth, honesty, and service. Am I expecting too much?
If you are expecting those things from a bargain basement Hong Kong vendor, then yes, you are expecting too much.

Welcome to the real world.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Jun 13, 2011, 05:56 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
917 Posts
Sad, but I'm afraid that's true. With some, all you need to know they are lying is to see their lips moving....or advertising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
If you are expecting those things from a bargain basement Hong Kong vendor, then yes, you are expecting too much.

Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:14 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,047 Posts
I can't think of a manufacturer of any product that doesn't over blow there advertising. The Blade series of heli's comes to mind off the top of my head.
Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:41 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
917 Posts
What's the story with Blade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663 View Post
.... The Blade series of heli's comes to mind off the top of my head.
Mike
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:41 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
I had a blade but never had any luck with it. I wound up giving it to my next door neighbors kid and he can fly it all over the place. At least someone could use it..
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:46 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,047 Posts
The 400,SR,mcpx and CP pro and the are advertised as "3D helicopters right out of the box" Yea right I've made a small fortune repairing those.
Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:48 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Quote:
Firey Fate: If you are expecting those things from a bargain basement Hong Kong vendor, then yes, you are expecting too much.

Yeah, welcome..

Quote:
Sad, but I'm afraid that's true. With some, all you need to know they are lying is to see their lips moving....or advertising.
The thing that simply amazes me is that there are a large number of people who know this and yet they continue to defend these pirates. I remember last year when several people began talking bad about Banana hobby and the followers oozed out of the woodwork telling them how ridiculous it was to say anything bad about Banana Hobby and recount how they each had hundreds of great experiences with them.

Hobby King is a rip off artist, leave the emotions out of it and look whats happening. I don't know about everyone else but I've seen this trend before.

Same thing here different group. Lets see what folks are saying in a year from now.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:55 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
917 Posts
I have owned several Blade helis. The first one, with counter rotating blades, was a piece of cake to hover and fly but was boring. The second two were the next steps up and they were a bear for me to learn to hover. Squirrely as heck requiring constant rudder input. Then I bought a T-Rex and hovering became very easy compared to the Blades. Then again, it had a much better gyro, the Futaba 401. Now, learning to fly the T-Rex is a different story. With a helicopter, it's so easy to lose your orientation it isn't even funny. I lost interest.

Quote:
I had a blade but never had any luck with it. I wound up giving it to my next door neighbors kid and he can fly it all over the place. At least someone could use it..
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:59 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
917 Posts
Mike

I bought my CP Pro used from a salesperson at the hobby shop. He took it out of the box and did all kind of 3D flying inside the store...and their ceilings are probably no more than 12' high. I think with that particular model, the limitations are on the pilot, not the machine. I can't 3D fly a helicopter at all, but I know guys who can and do....right out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663 View Post
The 400,SR,mcpx and CP pro and the are advertised as "3D helicopters right out of the box" Yea right I've made a small fortune repairing those.
Mike
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:13 PM
Newcastle. Australia
Joined Jan 2004
545 Posts
Quote:
Hobby King is a rip off artist, leave the emotions out of it and look whats happening. I don't know about everyone else but I've seen this trend before.
Thats your opinion, but I couldn't disagree more on that statement, then again I dont buy cheap foam planes where most of the problems seem to be and thats from any retailer not just HK.
Although have got some of the foamies (jet & P38) for others and they have been fine, worked as stated and are still flying today.

Been a HK customer for a very long time and in over 200 orders have never been ripped off at all. Any problem , and there have been very few, have been sorted fairly in my favour using live chat.

Why lots of orders? I buy for myself, my son and any club members that want anything.

Buying from HK requires you to think for yourself, do some research in the discussions and you will save heaps of dollars on good stuff.

Look at it with some perspective please, and as you said leave the emotion out of it.

I say again, if you want top notch customer service, need to be pampered, expect unrealistic delivery times then HK IS NOT FOR YOU go see your LHS and pay thu the nose.
Simple really.

Cheers
Paul
PC55 is offline Find More Posts by PC55
Closed Thread