HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2010, 07:49 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
Discussion
Smoked Turnigy Rewind or Trash ?

I had a Turnigy 2836-2350 in my funjet and I let the magic smoke out of it. I guess 4s and a 5X5 prop was a bit much I tore the motor down magnets had came loose windings burned etc. Is this motor worth the trouble to rewind ? I have never rewound a motor before but thought it might be a fun rainy day project. Getting the wire is extremely simple for me because I just happen to be friends with a guy that rewinds industrial motors for a living. He has every gauge of wire known to man in his shop. If I do rewind it is all I need wire and some kind of glue to stick the magnets back down ? If I remember right the motor had 9 strands of wire with 7 turns. If I go with say 5 strands of a heavier wire and the same amount of turns will it handle more current draw and stay the same KV? I am a total noob at this stuff.
Hance is online now Find More Posts by Hance
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2010, 08:53 PM
five by five
Panama City Bch, FL
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
i would do 7 turns x 1 strand of the thickest wire that will fit. kv will stay the same as long as you copy the wiring scheme the factory used. it should handle more current and operate more efficiently.

magnets can be re-glued with ca, epoxy or a combination of both. anaerobic adhesives are nice, but not required. as with any project requiring adhesives, its good practice to properly prep the surfaces prior to regluing.
good luck!
-sj
sonicj is offline Find More Posts by sonicj
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:41 PM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
Cool thanks for your reply. I will go to the motor rewind shop tomorrow and experiment with the wire they have and find the biggest single strand that will work.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:01 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
You may have cooked your magnets. They will sometimes still attract metal after a heated run like that but the magnetic strength can be greatly diminished.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:37 PM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
You may have cooked your magnets. They will sometimes still attract metal after a heated run like that but the magnetic strength can be greatly diminished.
I had thought of that but figure what the heck its not going to cost me anything but time to give it a shot anyway.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:26 AM
five by five
Panama City Bch, FL
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
not sure if this is possible or not, but maybe the magnet adhesive failure led to the coils giving up the ghost?

anywho, if the magnets are toast feel free to send the motor my way or....
you could order up some new n50 magnets. link
Old Mar 31, 2010, 05:23 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
I have lots of rotors that are 6 pole that fit a 22mm stator. If that's what your motor requires I can send you a rotor, free.

I would use 22 AWG. That will be the biggest wire that will fit into that stator comfortably. You might get away with non inverter duty 21 AWG which would be better. It's worth a try.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2010, 07:53 PM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
It lives ! I wasn't exactly sure what size of wire to grab from the rewind shop so I got some 26 and some 28. I put the 26 on and there is some room left. Now that I know how to do it I will probably abuse this until it dies then get some bigger stuff. Rewinding a motor isn't nearly as scary as it sounds after doing it once.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:02 PM
Southern Ontario
Joined Jan 2002
165 Posts
Winding motors is fun - after you have done 5 or 10 you can wind them while watching TV and eating munchies. As long as the wife is not talking to you while you are counting winds ;-)
If you want to go hardcore subscribe to lrk forum on yahoo groups. Lots of neat stuff to learn. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lrk-torquemax/
Gary
Gary_Canada is offline Find More Posts by Gary_Canada
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:21 PM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
The sick part of it is everything I do I end up going hardcore. Thats why all my hobbies cost me so darn much money I guess.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:21 PM
five by five
Panama City Bch, FL
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
congrats! this a 9 tooth stator, correct?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:31 PM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
Yes its a 9 tooth 6 magnet setup. Wish I would have got some bigger wire while I was at the place. I already called the hobby shop I deal with and told him to save all his smoked brushless motors for me.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:59 PM
five by five
Panama City Bch, FL
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
haha! and so it begins.... lol! about this time last year i think i owned only one brushless motor. i looked around the other day and quit counting at 25.

i've been wanting to try that 2836 in my heli! i might have to scoop one up new if i don't come across a burned one soon.

heres a little smaller sized motor i resurrected from a dead motor lot a few weeks back. it was a don's wicked 5400 in it's former life. i think its either a little small for my 450 heli or maybe i need one less turn and some thicker wire. it flys ok & comes down cold, but sucks amps. i'll revisit it at some point. shaft is much shorter now than in the pics.

i'd like to see some pics when you are through!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:57 PM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
Just got done bench testing the motor watts are way off. Before with a 4s 2200 30c pack it was pushing somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 watts thats what smoked it. Those were the only numbers I had to go by so I duplicated it for a short test run. 400 watts max. My guess is the wire I used can't handle the current I want. Now I really need the bigger wire. I think I will throw a 6X4 on the plane and give it a test run tomorrow anyway weather permitting.
Old Apr 01, 2010, 12:15 AM
five by five
Panama City Bch, FL
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
can you fit more than one strand of 26awg? 2 strands of 28 has a larger cross section than 1 x 26.