HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2003, 11:37 PM
Electron Abuser
Allen, Texas (North Dallas)
Joined Oct 2002
335 Posts
F5D Team Trials USA

Who here is going to the US F5D team trials when they are scheduled this summer? I have not heard yet the scheduled date and location. I will be going with a flock of new D99s and a new Vladimir (Graphite guy) F5D prototype. I have heard maybe August in Muncie.

Also, is anyone (San Diego) going to attempt a warm up race where there will be reasonable participation soon....
John Jennings is offline Find More Posts by John Jennings
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2003, 01:14 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,338 Posts
I think there is a better than a even chance the F5D team selection wil be in San Diego. Seems as if there are a bunch of new F5D fliers from the western states.

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Jun 01, 2003, 07:14 AM
Electron Abuser
Joined Oct 2002
335 Posts
Will you guys have a date for an unofficial warmup F5D race, besides just the normal monthly races you hold?
Old Jun 01, 2003, 05:30 PM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Mar 2000
767 Posts
F5D Team Try outs

Quote:
I think there is a better than a even chance the F5D team selection wil be in San Diego. Seems as if there are a bunch of new F5D fliers from the western states.

Steve

What time frame are you talking, and what flying site will we be using???
Kevin Matney
Kevin Matney is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Matney
Old Jun 02, 2003, 02:06 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
2,820 Posts
Kevin,

If the trials are in San Diego the dates are September 20th & 21st. September 22nd weather make-up day. Model processing will be on September 19th.

The vote on where the trials are should be known early next week.

Chuck
rcelectfly is offline Find More Posts by rcelectfly
Old Jun 02, 2003, 03:10 PM
I plan to take over world
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jul 2002
1,593 Posts
Re: F5D Team Trials USA

Quote:
Originally posted by John Jennings
I will be going with a flock of new D99s and a new Vladimir (Graphite guy) F5D prototype.
Is there a picture of Vladimir's F5D prototype somewhere?
sayno2glo is offline Find More Posts by sayno2glo
Old Jun 02, 2003, 05:17 PM
Joined Mar 2000
767 Posts
F5D Flying site

Quote:
and what flying site will we be using???
What site??
The club field or the Island????
Kevin Matney
Old Jun 03, 2003, 02:01 PM
Electron Abuser
Joined Oct 2002
335 Posts
Don't have a picture yet, but expect to test fly this weekend and will post pics.
Old Jun 05, 2003, 01:11 PM
Joined Mar 2000
767 Posts
Field size

If SD club field is to be used it is to small for AMA safety rules. So they must be going to the island were the 2000 EWC was at.
Old Jun 05, 2003, 04:31 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
2,820 Posts
Kevin,

You are correct about the San Diego club field if it was in the same location as it was when you were there last.

The runway has since been moved to the east and lengthened 160 feet. The area where the runway is now located is much wider than the old location and there is more than enough space to meet the AMA safety requirements.

Also, we will be able to realign the pylons so that the runway is very close to where the pilots stand.

The decision as to where the trials will be held if it is in San Diego will be made only after the votes are in at AMA in a few days. Either location will work just fine.

Chuck
Old Jun 05, 2003, 05:18 PM
Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana USA
Joined Nov 2000
20 Posts
Guys,

I have been trying hard to stay out of this, but in the interest of preserving pylon racing as a whole, I have to speak up.

After a severe racing accident that resulted in a death in Pheonix, AMA has mandated several safety requirements to try to make racing safer for the pilots, workers, and the spectators. These safety requirements are MANDATORY for all sanctioned racing events in the United States. These safety requirements include:

- 350 feet from the racing course to the spectator line
- 350 feet on the back side of the couse as well
- Off course judging
- Hard hats for all pilots & course workers
- AMA approved pylon course equipment

These rules are not a suggestion, they are MANDATORY to keep our insurance through the AMA.

Guys, understand what I have said here. I don't really care where the trials are held, but the AMA safety requirements must be adhered to at the responsibility of the CD and host club. F.A.I. rules govern the course size, aircraft requirements, and operation of the event. They do not however govern our insurance. Without our insurance and organizing body, we could not enjoy our hobby safely.

I have raced now for over 10 years in several different events. I have seen several near misses. F5D airplanes are not toys and could cause serious harm to property and to people.

I have also flown at the Sea World site for three events. It is a beautiful place to sport fly and to have club events. The Mid-Winter Electrics is one of the finest events I have been to. But it is not big enough to fly these models with the AMA safety requirements.

Thanks for listening,

Archie Adamisin

Muncie, Indiana
ArchieA67 is offline Find More Posts by ArchieA67
Old Jun 05, 2003, 07:06 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
2,820 Posts
Archie,

I can assure you that if the F5D team trials are held in San Diego all AMA and FAI rules and regulations will be met.

I am well aware of the requirements as is the CD.

I take it that you and Kevin prefer the Fiesta Island site if the trials are in San Diego. Your input is appreciated. Both sites are available.

No decision has been made as to wheather the trials are in San Diego or Toledo yet. When that vote is in this discussion may or may not be important.

Chuck
Old Jun 20, 2003, 03:51 PM
Electron Abuser
Joined Oct 2002
335 Posts
Any updates on the F5D team site selection and final dates? What about a warmup race somewhere?
Old Jun 20, 2003, 04:35 PM
301MPH!
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Jan 2001
655 Posts
F5D & F5B IN SAN DIEGO!

Just got off the phone with Lisa at the AMA. She said the tryouts are going to be in San Diego! You need to sign up soon! See you in Sunny San Diego!
speedster is offline Find More Posts by speedster