HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2003, 11:15 PM
Why yes, I DO work for GP
Danville Vermilion, Illinois, United States
Joined Oct 2002
326 Posts
Friction-fit servo tray/isolation mount

I've been rehabilitationg a Crazy Sparrow that was abused as a kit, and I'm wanting to use it to try out a few different servos, most notably the new bluebirds being sold by balsaproducts. I really hate screwing down servos, and glueing them is almost as bad, so I started scratching my head about friction-fit schemes. I didn't come up with anything immediately, so I moved on. When I pulled my new GWS receiver out of its package, I realized that the foam that those things come packed in is perfect for the job!

So here's what I did. I cut a hole in the foam just smaller than the servo footprint, and then cut out about 3/16" around that on three sides, and 1/8" on the side that will be glued down. I then gooped the mount to the side of the airplane. Voila - a handy-dandy friction fit system! The foam seems to have a lot of damping built in, so it may help with vibration isolation. Also, it has a bit of give, between the goop and the foam, so perhaps it will preserve the servo from being broken when a plane gets dropped on a control surface. I'm sure somebody else has already thought of this, and they may have even posted it, but I'm very pleased with the results, so I though I'd share.

The servo is moderately easy to remove if you pull evenly on both mounting ears, but it doesn't budge when moving the surface. I like it!
FlightofSong is offline Find More Posts by FlightofSong
to remove ads between posts