HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:18 PM
Joined Mar 2010
23 Posts
Discussion
Baby Bootlegger

I'm working on the power package for BB. Two eight cell packs w/ brushed 700 turbo i picked up at a swap meet brand new for $10.00. I still need an esc. I built the cooling coil for it and plan to put on brush head cooling jackets after I get the capacitors. I was thinking about using and old mechanical servo driven unit or taking a 50 amp airplane setup and putting a cooling jacket on it. Hobby partz sells an ESKY 50A for $22.00 would that work here if it had a cooling jacket? Should I wire the cells parallel or in series. Does this set up need overload protection? Granpiger says the motors good to 16v but the lable says 9.6v
james.wood is offline Find More Posts by james.wood
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:15 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,823 Posts
JAMES WOOD- Holy cow!!! I don’t think I would run the two batteries in series since what would net you 19.2 volts normal and probably over 24 volts after peak charging. The boat looks like it is only around 24” long, so you might want to only run with one battery at a time in the boat which will give you 9.8 volts. The boat is going to be a rocket ship as it is any way!

Nice job on the planking. And by the way thanks for the heads up on the free plans from www.astecmodels.co.uk. I think the other members of the forum might be interested in the free down loads. As for the motor set up, I think if you run with just the one pack (9.6 volt battery), you might not need the water cooling in the model.

Good talking with you today, and keep us posted on the shake down cruise of the BABY “B”.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Last edited by frankg; Mar 30, 2010 at 01:38 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:23 AM
Beautiful Hilo Hawaii
Joined Jul 2009
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg View Post
JAMES WOOD- Holy cow!!! I dont think I would run the two batteries in series since what would net you 19.2 volts normal and probably over 24 volts after peak charging. The boat looks like it is only around 24 long, so you might want to only run with one battery at a time in the boat which will give you 9.8 volts. The boat is going to be a rocket ship as it is any way!

Nice job on the planking. And by the way thanks for the heads up on the free plans from www.astecmodels.com.uk. I think the other members of the forum might be interested in the free down loads. As for the motor set up, I think if you run with just the one pack (9.6 volt battery), you might not need the water cooling in the model.

Good talking with you today, and keep us posted on the shake down cruise of the BABY B.
Great boat James!
Frank the link does not go to a free model site is it correct? I would like to build a Baby B myself! Any help would be appreciated!
Aloha
Marty
jcis4me is offline Find More Posts by jcis4me
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:42 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,823 Posts
MARTY- The web site is www.astecmodels.co.uk. Once the site come up click on free hydro plans, and down load the plans.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:13 PM
Beautiful Hilo Hawaii
Joined Jul 2009
153 Posts
Mahalo Frank!
Aloha
Marty
jcis4me is offline Find More Posts by jcis4me
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:45 PM
Mesquite Tx
Joined Dec 2007
244 Posts
Wow that BB looks beautiful.

I've been sitting on a set of 36" plans for the BB [Gary Finlay plans],just havent gotten time to start on it yet due to other projects that need finishing first.After seeing this one it really sparked my interest in getting it started,best get collecting the building supplies for it.
blkft1 is online now Find More Posts by blkft1
Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:54 PM
Joined Feb 2009
822 Posts
The wood is beautiful. Is it plain with clearcoat or did you stain it?
Nederlander is offline Find More Posts by Nederlander
Old May 04, 2010, 04:32 PM
Joined Mar 2010
23 Posts
The boat is balsa/exotic mahogany veneer coated with 10 coats of RAKA marine slow set epoxy on bare wood. I used a proboat blue 50 amp esc with and 11.2 v 2100mha lipo battery. Speed is good but not even close to crazy: maybe slightly higher speeds than scale. The boat porposes slightly and it seems to cavitate at times through the vent area created below the step. If i were to do it again I would make it a straight surface prop mounted just behind the step to make better use of this hull configuration as the cavitation must result in a loss of efficentcy. I found that the surface drives in my cabin cruser shown in the attachment were very efficent despite the semi planing hull form.
james.wood is offline Find More Posts by james.wood
Old May 05, 2010, 03:01 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
James,

If I may in your situation you would want to connect the batteries in series for the higher voltage if your ESC can manage it, be careful of temps as you are most certainly over volting the 700 but it is my understanding they can handle it somewhat, I would check it a lot at first. Looks like you already have the balanced sharpened metal prop maybe something with more pitch 17xx VS 12xx in Octura to take advantage of the 700’s torque. As for cooling your ESC (sorry to not give proper credit but I forgot the gentleman’s name) basically you get a few lengths of the same dia. tubing you made the motor coil out of cut it in straight lengths and CA or epoxy it to the heat sinks of the ESC. Voila water cooled. Obviously the water goes to the ESC tube(s) and then the motor, then outside of the hull. It is an awesome boat as is your surface drive cruiser (I always wondered about how well that would work). If you have the desire/funds available you may want to go brushless as you already have the batteries and that would certainly gain you some oomph I think the XL sizes are similar to the 700 can size. Let us know how it goes and again nice collection you have built yourself there.

I would also try moving the batteries backwards to help in the porpising as the 700 is a lot of weight up front. Umm CG about 1/3 of the way from the stern see if that helps your stability and speed.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal