SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:51 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Help!
Ray Malmström plans

I am an avid collector of Ray Malmström's designs. He was a very talented designer and modeler. I've being trying to obtain his designs with little luck. I have some, but not very many. If anybody can send me his plans, I can exchange. You can write me to my email
edubarca1946@gmail.com
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:01 AM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
What do you want? Photocopies? Originals? PDFs? It may help if you say what you have, then we can fill the gaps for you.

Ray (Mister Downthrust) was prolific, and produced many plans over a long period, maybe 50 years or more. Some of his sport models were kinda bizarre, but they all flew. I built a number of Eastborne Monoplanes over the years, minus some of the downthrust, minus some of the incidence, and they flew just great...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Mar 29, 2010, 01:36 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Ray was a genius at making planes for young modelers. I am also a big fan of his work...
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Mar 29, 2010, 04:17 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,526 Posts
Ray was also a genius at making big plans fit into small magazine pages. I recall many of his plan parts were drawn over each other.

I liked his designs but found the plans cluttered due to how he drew them. It made it hard to visualize the designs for me.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:16 AM
QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
1,552 Posts
In the early 60's Ray published 4 books aimed at new modelers , 1 each on car's, boats, model aircraft and the last on spacecraft featureing rubber, jetex and diesel/glow powered models. My sad/well read/used copy of aircraft is titled "Eagle Book of Model Aircraft " printed by Hulton Press in 1959 it contains 7 plans , 1 glider, 2 rubber models , 1 jetex, 2 control line, 1 freeflyte.
Stewart
clipclop is offline Find More Posts by clipclop
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:23 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
You need this book if you are really interested in Ray...It was published by Rays model club the Impington Village model club, as tribute to his talent
Loads of plans inside...Try their web site for info on buying it http://www.ivcmac.co.uk/ivc01_home/ivc_home.html

Don't take this the wrong way Edubarca... but it would be nice to know what part of the world you live in...as it's very difficult to advise or help some one if you don't know this

Your not the only one on RC Groups who has not put his county of origin on his personal info....I don't like this and hope it does not become the norm.
Last edited by dekan; Mar 29, 2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:36 PM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,647 Posts
I know this is probably heresy but Ray's designs have never appealed to me. I like interesting and unusual designs but his are just, well......weird

Edubarca is from Columbia, South America.

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Mar 29, 2010, 01:03 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
I know this is probably heresy but Ray's designs have never appealed to me. I like interesting and unusual designs but his are just, well......weird

Edubarca is from Columbia, South America.

Ray
Ray... I agree Ray Marmstrom is an acquired taste...Some are weird but they fly well..Perhaps your not into paper trim tabs

Nothing wrong with living Columbia but why not include your country of origin in your personal details...now we know that it might not be as straight forward for Edubarca to get things from the UK as you or I...
Old Mar 29, 2010, 05:57 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,466 Posts
I used to have one of his plans and even got as far as half building a model. Long lost now )c:
I would love to get another copy of the plan. Small problem as I don't even remember the name other than it was a small deisel or cox motor pusher with a 2 seat side by side cockpit with very rounded sides. Might actually finish and fly it now if I can get hold of the plan.
Any one help please?

Gordon
GeeW is online now Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:22 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
If it had a vee tail it was probably a Push Up... Model Aircraft magazine.. December 1956....
The plans in the book
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:38 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,466 Posts
Eureka. A name at last. Yes a V tail.
Stupidly cute looking model. Given me a thought where I just may have stashed the plan...a little expedition into the loft tomorrow coming up.
(That'll get my wife 'tutting' and rolling her eyes )
I'll never sleep with all the excitement.
Many thanks Dekan.
GeeW is online now Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:52 PM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,647 Posts
Blimey As you say Decan - an aquired taste

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; Mar 29, 2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 07:43 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Hello everybody. Thanks for so much information about Ray's models. First of all, sorry for not including my country of residence. I am from Colombia (with an "o") South America, I live in a farm near a small town about 30 kilometers north of Bogotá, called La Calera I would like to have scanned plans. In this modern day of technology it is the best way of swapping plans and other information. What I have? Well, I have a collection of MODEL AIRCRAFT magazine from 1959 (not complete) until it was taken over by Aeromodeller in 1965. So I would mostly need the plans before 1959 and perhaps those from his books and other publications. I have a good collection of plans mostly from Aeromodeller Plans Service and other old time publishers that I can exchange. Modelers are a wonderful group of people worldwide!!! This is one of the nice things about the best hobby and activity one can undertake: AEROMODELLING, real aeromodelling not those stupid ARFS (sounds more like a bark!!). Thanks again!!!
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Mar 30, 2010, 08:47 AM
QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
1,552 Posts
Heres the rear cover of the eagle book of aircraft showing the models inside
clipclop is offline Find More Posts by clipclop
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:17 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca View Post
Hello everybody. Thanks for so much information about Ray's models. First of all, sorry for not including my country of residence. I am from Colombia (with an "o") South America, I live in a farm near a small town about 30 kilometers north of Bogotá, called La Calera I would like to have scanned plans. In this modern day of technology it is the best way of swapping plans and other information. What I have? Well, I have a collection of MODEL AIRCRAFT magazine from 1959 (not complete) until it was taken over by Aeromodeller in 1965. So I would mostly need the plans before 1959 and perhaps those from his books and other publications. I have a good collection of plans mostly from Aeromodeller Plans Service and other old time publishers that I can exchange. Modelers are a wonderful group of people worldwide!!! This is one of the nice things about the best hobby and activity one can undertake: AEROMODELLING, real aeromodelling not those stupid ARFS (sounds more like a bark!!). Thanks again!!!
Have you any idea what sort of plane you are looking for? I may then be able to suggest something of Rays suitable....Try this web site for ideas

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/colin.h...ages/malm.html