HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2010, 05:14 PM
flyit, crashit, fixit.
crsahing around in mid-europe
Joined Jan 2007
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
20 amps / 1.5Ah =13.33 C which is 66.66% of the claimed C rate so yes it should do it.
Great, thanks for your respected opinion. That’s what I thought too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
The thing is there is a lot of difference in LiPoly quality and their ability do deliver anywhere near the claimed C rate.
You mentioned before (post #4) that you were disappointed with Kokam. My biggest mistake so far would appear to be that I trusted in the Kokam brand, but they are not all they’re cracked up to be.

So next step is for me to find a Lipo with reliable <C>rating (if such exists). Might try that Turnigy 20C, but as with all things from China, biggest problem will be the quality control. Even if I get a good one, there’s no guarantee that they won’t have changed their producer in mid-stream, so the next could be worse, or better.

So my concept was (and is) basically ok, I‘ve confirmed that brand-name is not necessarily worth much, and I will definitely NOT recommend Kokam to anyone. (Where’s my next victim!)

[Are you listening KOKAM??? ]
Merlin45 is offline Find More Posts by Merlin45
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:10 AM
Novice RC pilot
California
Joined Feb 2008
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin45 View Post
...So next step is for me to find a Lipo with reliable <C>rating (if such exists)...
I will vouch for Spyderbatteries. If they are labeled 25C, they are 25C. Take a look at the links that Everydayflyer posted. (My only affiliation with Spyderbatteries is that I am a very satified customer, owning two 3S 2200mAh 25C LiPo batteries.)

http://www.spyderbatteries.com/main/page_batteries.html
u.rusty is offline Find More Posts by u.rusty
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:27 AM
flyit, crashit, fixit.
Joined Jan 2007
227 Posts
@ u.rusty
Thanks for the link. Those do look good, so some MFR are realistic with C-rating then.
I didn’t see a 3S-1500-20C pack, which is what I’d like; maybe I missed it?
Another thing is that getting hold of Spyder would be a challenge for me, being stuck here in Europe.

I have also had another trawl through those links from Charles, but I do need up-to-date info, as lipo technology has changed quite a lot in the past few years.
Cheers.
Old Apr 03, 2010, 05:45 PM
flyit, crashit, fixit.
Joined Jan 2007
227 Posts
I’ve ordered a couple of 1500-20C Turnigy from HK.
With any luck, and if the pen-pushers don’t delay proceedings too much, hope to test & report in about 3-4 weeks . .
Will also be repeating the tests, if my assistant is sober enough around that time .
I'm curious as to whether these will deliver the <C>, as some folks say they do. .