HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2001, 08:34 PM
Leaf River IL.
Joined Sep 2001
131 Posts
Dual conv. TX's with single conv. RX's

Can single conversion receivers be used with dual conversion transmitters as long as the freqs are the same?
bztguy is offline Find More Posts by bztguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2001, 09:06 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
796 Posts
It always works for me ...although I can't explain the technical why-fors it does work ...

Jim
me11owman is offline Find More Posts by me11owman
Old Sep 25, 2001, 09:14 PM
Colonial Heights, Virginia, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
I've never heard of any conversion transmitters,zero,single,dual or what ever!!!! just keep matched up on the usual factors such as frequency , AM , FM , PM, and Positive or Negative shift,,,once a receiver syncs up on its matching type signal , it does not care how it received it as the xmtr is putting out a clean signal only on that one frequency. Receivers are a different deal , with Dual Conversion types rejecting and ignoring all Other frequencys and not showing interference effects as much as Single conversion receivers types.
KillerWatt is offline Find More Posts by KillerWatt
Old Sep 25, 2001, 09:32 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Dual conversion sort of means like two tuners in a row - one to filter out the signal, the other to make it sharper.. sort of.. still the same signal type being tuned in..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Sep 25, 2001, 09:41 PM
Ijamsville, MD, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2001
456 Posts
Gentlemen; Dual and single conversion apply only to receivers. There is no such thing as a dual conversion transmitter. Please read the FAQ section of the fmadirect web site regarding receivers to see what single and dual conversion receivers are about. Briefly, dual conversion receivers have two mixers and two Intermediate frequency sections while single conversion receivers have only a single IF at 455 KHz removed from the transmit freq. Dual conversion is used to avoid potential problems with signals at the image frequency. In the case of single conversion, the image frequency is just 900 KHz away from the transmit frequency and very difficult to filter in the front end, The image frequency in a receiver with a first IF 10.7 MHz from transmit frequency is heavily filtered and seldom ever a problem.
Fred Marks is offline Find More Posts by Fred Marks
Old Sep 25, 2001, 09:50 PM
multiple celled organism
San Diego,CA,USA
Joined Sep 2001
130 Posts
cool!that means you can buy FM recievers for $20 and they will work with a flash 4 etc.!(like cirrus mrx-4,GWS 4p)
(these dont include crystals)
breadboy
breadboy is offline Find More Posts by breadboy
Old Sep 25, 2001, 10:37 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Fred, of course, as the designer of many fine products, is correct.

For the less technically inclined, read his note again, and remember that you must pick a reciever that will work with your transmitter.

Futaba and Hitec require one type of reciever, JR and Airtronics another. All after market sources offer models to suit. You must specify which type of tranmitter you are using when ordering.

Also, crystals from one mfg may or may not work with another product. Stick with the mfg products for guaranteed success. They know!!

FYI, Dave
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
Last edited by DaveW; Sep 25, 2001 at 10:39 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2001, 06:54 AM
Ijamsville, MD, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2001
456 Posts
Dave is correct. For those who don't know or don't want to worry, we make the Magnum receiver that automatically detects the shift and works with either frequency shift.
Fred Marks is offline Find More Posts by Fred Marks