HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Asher Carmichael, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:55 PM
Queens, NY
Joined Mar 2004
531 Posts
Hi Asher
This is a towing hook guy. ZM aka SMYK

This a first time I have a chance to see this thread of yours - silly me
I got couple of suggestions to make

Regarding towing hook positioning

1* I have drilled holes in towing hooks bodies as a starting points
I do prefer not to drill them at all, because I can not tell where is a best position for them based on installation in the plane. If the another location is 1/2" away it is OK to drill new hole. The worst is if you need new hole drilled 1/16" from existing one.
In your case drill the set of new holes 1/4" lower and you can stick out entire hook little bit higher. There is plenty room there

ZM
Smyk is offline Find More Posts by Smyk
Last edited by Smyk; Apr 10, 2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Picture added
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2010, 03:21 PM
Queens, NY
Joined Mar 2004
531 Posts
Clip screws

Hi Asher!

I see you struggle with attaching cowls and access doors

Prime me with your mailing address again and I will get you worry free clips
They will be just perfect for a size of your tug
Did I say
WORRY FREE!

ZM

Check Accessory page for more pictures

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2qbfc/id19.html
Old Apr 10, 2010, 03:40 PM
Queens, NY
Joined Mar 2004
531 Posts
Compression dowels

Asher

I have noticed you have already collapsed plywood attaching your Towhook
use end grain dowels to cope with the issue
Tow hook has to be strong enough to carry 3-4 times the weight of the tug
Beside static load you got dynamic loads if you are forced to yank 40 lb glider from time to time
Larger the tug dynamics is more severe

Do not use plain nuts
6-32 and 8-32 screws are not self locking.
They will get loose quickly.

ZM
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:23 PM
"Fly"Fisherman
Guntersville, AL
Joined Jun 2004
734 Posts
Smyk,
Thanks for the input. I didn't think about re-drilling the release, but things have progressed too far to do that now and I'm OK with the fit. I will strengthen the attachment points on the bulkhead with hardpoints as required. I am confident the system employed will support most anything I may be towing. I have used it for many years in other tugs for towing sailplanes up to 50%. The bulkhead screws will have lock-tite & belville spring lock washers to secure them.
Asher
Asher Carmichael is online now Find More Posts by Asher Carmichael
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:06 PM
"Fly"Fisherman
Guntersville, AL
Joined Jun 2004
734 Posts
Ganging Ailerons

This is probably the last post for the Decathlon until I get an engine. I have thoroughly enjoyed this assembly and the fit and finish of this plane are top notch.

I've never ganged multiple servos before so I asked a few questions on Flying Giants and got some good advice regarding some videos by Down on the Deck. You can go to the link here and follow the thread to the the videos for more specific info. Ganging servos is important on these big models, not so much for the additional torque but to help avoid flutter. I'm told a single point connect is more subject to problems than is a ganged setup.

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=51950

The idea is to get the geometry right from the start. Equidistant linkages are a must. Leave one aileron linkage loose and measure the throw, up and down, and adjust the travel limits in the TX until equal. Undo that linkage, hook up the other and repeat the process until you have equal throws. Then, hook both up and measure amperage draw. Also, listening to the servos is a big part of eliminating binding. You should be able to get the servos to be quiet after full deflection. Notice the wings are vertical in this setup. Gravity is your enemy in ganging servos. The weight of the surface on the servo will make it sing all day. Putting the wing in a vertical position will eliminate that.
I use a Hanger9 in-line amp/volt meter for measuring the amperage. It will jump around a bit when moving the surface but look for the nuetral and several points to full deflection and a reading that is .00 - .05 in the range.
Last edited by Asher Carmichael; Apr 22, 2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:44 AM
Joined Apr 2006
18 Posts
Decathelon Status

Asher,
Its been a while since you've updated this thread. I'm very much interested in one of Bill's Decathelon's but I was hoping you would get an engine and post some flying data based on your experience.

Please update me and possibly others concerning the finished flying model. I'm limited to size and the 38% I think would be a great size SD for my hanger.
RoadKKing is offline Find More Posts by RoadKKing
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:14 PM
Joined Nov 2007
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKKing View Post
Asher,
Its been a while since you've updated this thread. I'm very much interested in one of Bill's Decathelon's but I was hoping you would get an engine and post some flying data based on your experience.

Please update me and possibly others concerning the finished flying model. I'm limited to size and the 38% I think would be a great size SD for my hanger.
+1 on that.. very intrested in this plane.. could you please updat this thread??
mobilemenice80 is offline Find More Posts by mobilemenice80
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:19 PM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,545 Posts
This might be of interest also.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1319015
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:25 PM
Joined Apr 2006
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbuff1 View Post
Lbuff1,
Whoa! Can't imagine the SD with a 150 in the nose! Reports from those flying them with 100cc say they do a fantastic job. Thanks for the link.

Asher,
Can't wait to read your report. I finally took the 'bait' and Bill H. crossed my eyes when he set the hook!
I'm on the list for the next container so I'll be referenceing your thread here.
Let us know how the SD performs.
RoadKKing is offline Find More Posts by RoadKKing
Old May 21, 2014, 11:08 AM
"Fly"Fisherman
Guntersville, AL
Joined Jun 2004
734 Posts
In an effort to bring closure to this particular thread I'd like to follow up with a much belated update.

I did finish this plane with the installation of a BME 150 with canisters. I used this engine because it had more power than a 100 and would fit inside the cowling without cutting. Everything seemed in order, or so I thought. I took the plane out for is maiden in the Spring of 2011. Unfortunately it was too windy for me to fly so I packed up and went home.

After that attempt I decided the plane was too big for me to transport easily. Too, failing strength from arthritis issues led me to the decision that my days with really big airplanes were numbered. This premonition proved correct but that's another story.

I put out the word that I was willing to sell the Big D and my good club friend, Tim Batt, said he was interested but couldn't seal the deal for a while as he was in the midst of moving and obtaining a suitable vehicle for transporting big models. I said that was fine as I was in no rush to sell and it would be nice to not have to crate and ship outside the local area.

Fast forward to April, 2013. Tim called and said he was ready to take possession.

Tim went through the model and made his own personal marks. The day for the maiden arrived and I wasn't able to attend. I did check in later that evening and was dismayed to learn he couldn't get the BME to run properly. Well, after several weeks of tweaking, a trip back to BME for evaluation and help from numerous friends, Tim decided to pull the engine and install a DLE 170. He maidened the plane later that summer. Tim worked hard at setting everything up to his high standards and I'm proud to report that he has exorcised all the demons and is loving this plane.

Tim is an outstanding 3D pilot and has proven the airframe to be fully capable and cooperative. He has also proved its worth as a towplane, a job which I had initially envisioned for this model. In fact, Tim did a great deal of towing with it at the 2013 North Alabama RC Association annual aerotow event.

While I am a bit disappointed I never got to fly the plane I thoroughly enjoyed building it and I'm glad that Tim has taken on the challenges associated with such a large model. He has proven its capabilities and I must say I have a certain sense of pride and enjoyment every time I see her take to the sky.
Last edited by Asher Carmichael; Jun 24, 2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old May 23, 2014, 09:20 AM
Leeds, UK
Joined Nov 2004
1,491 Posts
Ahh that's a shame - do you have any photos of the finished plane flying?
muscleflex is offline Find More Posts by muscleflex
Old May 28, 2014, 10:55 PM
Canada, MB, Carberry
Joined May 2012
12 Posts
I sure hope this build log doesn't disappear. My Bill Hempel Super is in the mail and I will be referring to this a lot, if that ok.
19pointbuck is offline Find More Posts by 19pointbuck
Old May 29, 2014, 07:25 AM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,545 Posts
Another build thread that may help also

http://www.rcaerotowing.com/forum/th...uper-Decathlon

LEN
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:19 PM
Canada, MB, Carberry
Joined May 2012
12 Posts
Well I received my huge box last week and finally got a round to dry fitting together. Awesome bird.
19pointbuck is offline Find More Posts by 19pointbuck
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:07 AM
"Fly"Fisherman
Guntersville, AL
Joined Jun 2004
734 Posts
Andy Grose did a great job of covering our annual aerotow last year. You'll find some pics of the Decathlon along with its new owner in Andy's report here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...e+aerotow+2013