HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:57 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Jim,

I have never seen carbon fiber rods sold already curved. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but I think it's pretty unlikely. From an inventory standpoint it would multiply many times the different varieties of CF rods that would need to be stocked as there is only only way to have, say, 0.5mm straight rod. But, how many different radius' would need to be stocked for the same size rod? One for each size radius. Many CF rods are formed with a "pultrusion" process, which is continuous, and straight. Again, curved is certainly possibly, but manufacturing it curved, rather than heat molding it to be curved after the fact would make it more time consuming to create.

CF tube can be formed curved. There is a type of CF woven cloth that comes in a long "sock" like tube. It can be slipped over a curved mandrel, pulled till it reduces in diameter, and then have the epoxy applied, and the mandrel removed later. I have some of this woven tube cloth. But, it comes in sizes that are way way larger and heavier than when we are talking about, say, 0.5mm rod.

On a side note: Have you noticed the new "It Can Fly" skeleton foam plane? It can be found on the Tower Hobby site. It comes with two airframes, one a bipe, and the other single wing. So, there is now another skeletonized foam production plane, although without ailerons.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2011, 04:36 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson View Post
CF tube can be formed curved. There is a type of CF woven cloth that comes in a long "sock" like tube. It can be slipped over a curved mandrel, pulled till it reduces in diameter, and then have the epoxy applied, and the mandrel removed later. I have some of this woven tube cloth. But, it comes in sizes that are way way larger and heavier than when we are talking about, say, 0.5mm rod.
Gordon
The socks are a braided tube. Great in torsion but not as stiff in tension or compression at pulltruded rod or tube since lots of the fibers are off axis.

I wonder if it's possible to make a die (plate with a tapered hole) and pull epoxy moistened CF tow through to make a rod. The die would be to squeeze out as much resin as possible. Bend it in any shape you want until the epoxy cures.

In the industrial world, I have seen CF tows from 1K (1000 fibers in the strand) up to 72K. Not sure what you can get retail.

Pete
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:55 PM
Montreal St. Hilaire, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
168 Posts
hi guy,
I have almost every thing to builg me an Aileron Vapor, but I have one question is the wing in two sections, I can't see it in the pictures, looks to me like it's one piece wing anyone can help me.
thanks
Paul.
Lutin is offline Find More Posts by Lutin
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:11 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutin View Post
hi guy,
I have almost every thing to builg me an Aileron Vapor, but I have one question is the wing in two sections, I can't see it in the pictures, looks to me like it's one piece wing anyone can help me.
thanks
Paul.
One piece.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member