HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:17 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,386 Posts
Mike: No need for any sorry. If you were having fun, testing out something new, testing out the camera, trying to carrier land, whatever, it was great that you shared the video.

One of our MARS Micro Modelers pilots got so good so fast at carrier landings with his Vapor that he switched to doing the landings across the table instead of along the length!

Jim
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2011, 02:38 PM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
821 Posts
WOW just found this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood View Post
Is there anything that comes close to the slowness of this plane that is rtf or even kit? Man, that thing is NICE!

Pete
Wow just found this Post! The guy who is flying that plane is Alexi Lantsov a master builder. He has a friend who actualy makes the carbon fiber in any form he needs and another friend... Serge, who builds his electronics. I use to fly with these guys when I lived in St. petersburg. I miss those days... Everything was scratch built from the materials to the motor systems and radios... Today everything is ARF...

These guys are an inspiration. They would always come up with new ideas that pushed the envelope on what was possible. And they did it with style... AND looks like they still do! I'm gonna track him down and see if he could "fix me up" with one of his creations like the old days! lol!! And Ill see if I can get my hands on some of that carbon fiber again. NOTHING available comes close to the wieght / strength ratio that he makes!
Mike-A is offline Find More Posts by Mike-A
Old Aug 28, 2011, 06:27 PM
a little kid at heart
Poulsbo, Wa
Joined Sep 2004
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson View Post
Jim,
If you want to hover be sure and use the Cub 6mm motor, which requires lengthening the wires. As I'm sure you know, it puts out substantially more thrust, about 22g at 3.5V. But, amp draw is also higher so you'd want to use the 110mAh or 130mAh PZ cell instead of the 70mAh that comes with a Vapor.

I've never gotten around to putting the Cub motor in my son's Aileron Vapor. It's on my to do list.

Gordon
This http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ3916 motor gordon?

Thanks

Bill
poulsbobill is offline Find More Posts by poulsbobill
Last edited by poulsbobill; Aug 28, 2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: IS it the motor or the combo of gearing and prop too?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 06:45 PM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood View Post
Is there anything that comes close to the slowness of this plane that is rtf or even kit? Man, that thing is NICE!

Pete
That is gorgeous. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Beautiful flight.
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Old Aug 28, 2011, 07:31 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poulsbobill View Post
Yes, that's the motor. Since I posted that I have put a Cub motor in the Aileron Vapor, and in a regular Vapor. My boys really like the additional thrust.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Aug 28, 2011, 08:05 PM
a little kid at heart
Poulsbo, Wa
Joined Sep 2004
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Yes, that's the motor. Since I posted that I have put a Cub motor in the Aileron Vapor, and in a regular Vapor. My boys really like the additional thrust.

Gordon
Did you use the Cub gear box and prop or the vapor's? And if the vapor's did the pinion on the cub motor work on the vapor gear box?

Thanks

Bill
Old Aug 28, 2011, 08:26 PM
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Joined Jul 2007
1,013 Posts
The pinion on all the 6mm motors are the same, if I am not mistaken.

Jay
Faethor is offline Find More Posts by Faethor
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:39 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poulsbobill View Post
Did you use the Cub gear box and prop or the vapor's? And if the vapor's did the pinion on the cub motor work on the vapor gear box?

Thanks

Bill
Vapor GB, otherwise you would need the cub prop and would get less thrust.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:26 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,386 Posts
This is the first I've heard of anyone who makes their own carbon fibre. Not that I necessarily want to do that, but I'd sure like a source of curved carbon fibre. Any leads or suggestions?

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-A View Post
Wow just found this Post! The guy who is flying that plane is Alexi Lantsov a master builder. He has a friend who actualy makes the carbon fiber in any form he needs and another friend... Serge, who builds his electronics. I use to fly with these guys when I lived in St. petersburg. I miss those days... Everything was scratch built from the materials to the motor systems and radios... Today everything is ARF...

These guys are an inspiration. They would always come up with new ideas that pushed the envelope on what was possible. And they did it with style... AND looks like they still do! I'm gonna track him down and see if he could "fix me up" with one of his creations like the old days! lol!! And Ill see if I can get my hands on some of that carbon fiber again. NOTHING available comes close to the wieght / strength ratio that he makes!
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:18 AM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,428 Posts
Jim,
I think you would need to get Carbon Fiber Tow, and then make your own from that. There have been a few people who have posted in this forum about making their own pieces from Tow. You might be able to find those posts with the help of the search engine. The key to getting light CF constructions is to use the minimal amount of epoxy. Extra epoxy makes composite pieces substantially heavier. So, it's not enough to form ones own CF pieces, they also need to be light.

Gordon
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Aug 29, 2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:50 PM
a little kid at heart
Poulsbo, Wa
Joined Sep 2004
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Vapor GB, otherwise you would need the cub prop and would get less thrust.
Thank you...appreciate it.

Bill
Old Aug 29, 2011, 04:03 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,947 Posts
Jim how small a radius you trying to get? When you heat CF it will bend and hold the bend. I've only done 90* bends but I'm sure a radius could be done also. I'm assuming your talking about .5mm rods for the outside structure of an airplane?
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Aug 29, 2011, 04:19 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,386 Posts
Exactly, Todd.

Jim
Old Aug 29, 2011, 04:40 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,947 Posts
Jim CF has a tendency to bend in a small focused area when heated,( not a radius) but if it was me I would bend a strip of metal to the radius I wanted and tie the CF rod to it. I mean totally wrap the CF rod with heavy thread or string keeping the gaps between the wraps at 1/8'' or less and then heat it well with a hot air gun. Now if this produces a nice radius or a bunch of little bends I really don't know but it might be worth trying.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Aug 29, 2011, 04:53 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,386 Posts
Thanks, Todd, for that suggestion. What I've been aware of is that sometimes carbon rods bent and glued into an airframe later break when they get hot if you leave the plane in a car in the sun. That breaking, and the continuous tension required to keep them bent is what I'd like to reduce or eliminate.

I've looked at several manufacturers and dealers in carbon rods. Either they don't mention it at all, or some of them say they don't offer any curved carbon rods. That suggests that someone does offer such, but I don't know who.

Jim