poulsbobill is offline Find More Posts by poulsbobill
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:30 AM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Marconnet View Post
Gordon: I just saw a video of a composite plane the flys like I'd like a Vapor to fly with ailerons: http://vimeo.com/16590312

Unfortunately the guy is in St Petersburg, Russia.

Jim
Is there anything that comes close to the slowness of this plane that is rtf or even kit? Man, that thing is NICE!

Pete
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Mar 13, 2011, 08:17 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,390 Posts
One of our local guys (George Maiorana) has built one at the opposite end of the spectrum from RTF. He made his own carbon fiber rod from tow and epoxy! I believe it's based on the Osirus.
Petefoss is offline Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:40 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
does any one know where i can buy the connections used to hold the landing gear and parts on? like push in style connecters for carbon rod? i would love to have a go at making my own micro, and have tried before, but just gluing the carbon together is rather hard for me. thanks for any help you might be able to give
brandonb5269 is offline Find More Posts by brandonb5269
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:28 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonb5269 View Post
does any one know where i can buy the connections used to hold the landing gear and parts on? like push in style connecters for carbon rod? i would love to have a go at making my own micro, and have tried before, but just gluing the carbon together is rather hard for me. thanks for any help you might be able to give
I searched my A$$ off looking for these. The only site I found had already went out of business. If you so happen to find some please post a link.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:09 PM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,645 Posts
20110319 171353 (2 min 45 sec)

Removed the dihedral and put in a Cub motor.

Aileron Vapor (2 min 31 sec)
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Last edited by mcross; Jun 22, 2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 02:05 PM
Joined Dec 2010
5 Posts
someone in Keystone Rc Club has one I saw
G rees is offline Find More Posts by G rees
Old Mar 20, 2011, 02:11 PM
Joined Dec 2010
5 Posts
Hey was this yesterday at the KRC funfly
G rees is offline Find More Posts by G rees
Old Mar 20, 2011, 03:14 PM
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,645 Posts
Yes it was
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:20 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Mike,
Looks good in the air. Nice job.

I notice in the video that you built yours with dihedral. I couldn't see that it had dihedral in the previous picture you posted, although I could see the joint where the two halves were glued together. That looks like it makes it more stable, but that also explains one reason yours won't roll as well as ours does (not that ours rolls that great, but it will do it).

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:53 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
I appreciated seeing this latest video and also reading about the dihedral. In the video I did not quite "get" the aileron vapor in that I did not see particularly slow flight, nor high-alpha flight, nor rolls. But it could have just been that the pilot was having fun flying, not necessarily showing off the aileron vapor special attributes!

Jim
Jim_Marconnet is online now Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:50 AM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Jim,
In terms of speed there are a few parts in the video where you can see Mike's plane and a regular Vapor both flying at the same time. To my eye it looks like his Aileron Vapor is flying about the same speed as those regular Vapors. Remember, it's not slower than a regular Vapor. But, it does have ailerons.

Gordon
Old Mar 21, 2011, 01:07 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Thanks, Gordon, for pointing that out.

I can usually come very close to hovering (or flying very high alpha at almost zero ground speed) my Vapors, especially when I let the battery hang on the wire instead of having it mounted to the fuselage. But what I'm really looking forward to someday is being able to actually hover one with ailerons controlling the wing rock.

Hope springs eternal!

Jim
Jim_Marconnet is online now Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Mar 21, 2011, 01:44 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Jim,
If you want to hover be sure and use the Cub 6mm motor, which requires lengthening the wires. As I'm sure you know, it puts out substantially more thrust, about 22g at 3.5V. But, amp draw is also higher so you'd want to use the 110mAh or 130mAh PZ cell instead of the 70mAh that comes with a Vapor.

I've never gotten around to putting the Cub motor in my son's Aileron Vapor. It's on my to do list.

Gordon
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Mar 21, 2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:52 AM
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,645 Posts
Gordon,
Thanks for the tip on the dihedral, I should have known better. Eventually I'll build a new wing.
Jim,
Sorry, that flight was not intended to show it's capabilities. It was just a friend flying so I could gain some experience with my new cam. He was trying to land on the table the whole flight. I did later land and takeoff from the table. I've never flown a stock Vapor so I can't really tell you how different it is. It does fly at about the same speed when not in high alpha but can't slow down as much as the stock Vapors. It is heavier, but I don't know the exact weight. It has more ply, thread and CA than Gordon's and Tim's. It was flying with a 130 mAh cell and also has a homemade version of Gordon's kid proof gear.
Mike