HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:11 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
There's some video of the first time I flew it in this post in my Air Bender thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=66
No video since then as I've gotten better flying it. And, no video of it when I was flying it quite a bit at KIEF. Sorry there's no more recent video.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2010, 03:16 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,026 Posts
That looks awesome

Nice job

Do you mount the motor with ply? How did you secure to foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson View Post
There's some video of the first time I flew it in this post in my Air Bender thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=66
No video since then as I've gotten better flying it. And, no video of it when I was flying it quite a bit at KIEF. Sorry there's no more recent video.

Gordon
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:16 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
The motor mount is just two pieces of 1/64th ply (in retrospect should have been 1/32) which have holes that the motor bearing tube is pressed into. Those light ply pieces then slide into slots cut in the foam fuselage and the motor is pushed through them and a hole in the foam I bored with a hand reamer. With only about 24g of thrust it doesn't have to be super robust. There's a close up pic of it in the second post in that thread.

Gordon
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:39 PM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Feb 2004
1,738 Posts
now that adds an awesome touch to the boring vapor . makes me wanna get a vapor again.
sajeev is offline Find More Posts by sajeev
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:29 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,026 Posts
thanks for info

if you dont mind I'll re-direct questions to your thread on this subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson View Post
The motor mount is just two pieces of 1/64th ply (in retrospect should have been 1/32) which have holes that the motor bearing tube is pressed into. Those light ply pieces then slide into slots cut in the foam fuselage and the motor is pushed through them and a hole in the foam I bored with a hand reamer. With only about 24g of thrust it doesn't have to be super robust. There's a close up pic of it in the second post in that thread.

Gordon
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:29 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajeev View Post
now that adds an awesome touch to the boring vapor . makes me wanna get a vapor again.
Boring? BORING?!?! It's just calm....
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Feb 05, 2011, 07:44 PM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,645 Posts
Thanks for the plan Gordon. I made mine from a green dot fuse with electronics so I didn't have all the fittings. Thread, CA, and ply worked in place of fittings. Built from 3mm depron and 1/4 mil mylar. I still need to add a rudder servo but it flew fine without it. Flies very nice and relaxing.
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old Feb 05, 2011, 08:00 PM
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Joined Jul 2007
1,013 Posts
I've been meaning to try one of those myself.. Sure looks sleek! Makes me wonder how a Night Vapor would look, all lit up!

Jay
Faethor is offline Find More Posts by Faethor
Old Feb 07, 2011, 07:56 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcross View Post
Thanks for the plan Gordon. I made mine from a green dot fuse with electronics so I didn't have all the fittings. Thread, CA, and ply worked in place of fittings. Built from 3mm depron and 1/4 mil mylar. I still need to add a rudder servo but it flew fine without it. Flies very nice and relaxing.
Hi Mike,

How does it roll? Can you do a decent roll or does the undercamber make it difficult? I'm thinking about building one for my wife an an aerobatics trainer since things happen slowly.

Pete
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Feb 07, 2011, 08:32 PM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,645 Posts
Hi Pete,
It doesn't do rolls. It's a nice aileron trainer but it's not an aerobat. Perhaps with a flat wing and bigger ailerons it might roll. I added the rudder servo but I don't think that's gonna help rolls.
It's a really easy and quick build, I might try a new wing at some point.
Mike
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old Feb 07, 2011, 09:16 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Mike,
Nice to see you built one and like it.

Pete,
it can do rolls, but they aren't pretty. The wing is up on a pylon, and then there is the under camber. And, when we fly ours we can see the tail twist out of alignment with the wing because the CF fuselage is not that rigid. Still, it flies nice and slow, and differently than a standard Vapor.

Ours has a big rip in one wing from a mishap a couple of months ago with another plane's prop. It's taped up and flies fine. But, doesn't look so great. I'll probably need to make another wing at some point after this indoor season is over.

Gordon
Old Mar 06, 2011, 08:10 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Just curious how many of these have been built and flown around the world.

Jim
Jim_Marconnet is online now Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Mar 06, 2011, 07:56 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Marconnet View Post
Just curious how many of these have been built and flown around the world.

Jim
Gordon's, Mike's, and mine makes 3 built that we know of. None of them have flown around world AFAIK.

Mine is covered with Saran Wrap and uses an Ember II fuse, so it is a tad heavier than Gordon's. The wing can be moved forward and aft as can the battery tray. It can be trimmed to fly slower then the Night Vapors at our local site.

I "forced" my son to fly it at our last session. The Vapor he usually flies was being re-covered and I suggested he give it a try. He just sat there with the plane in front of him, too "chicken" to take off. I distracted him and threw the throttle to about half-way. Off it went leaving him no choice but to fly it .
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2011, 08:28 PM
MAD MEN QCRC
Joined Jun 2006
604 Posts
Looks good Tim! Maybe we'll see it fly at Toledo Bill
RCBilly is offline Find More Posts by RCBilly
Old Mar 06, 2011, 10:00 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002