SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 02, 2010, 02:57 AM
Chalmette, Louisiana. Mostly warm, sometimes 14-feet underwater!!
Joined Jan 2010
120 Posts
Just as I posted on an earlier thread, this is my set-up. I placed the order yesterday.

EXI S1123 9G Micro Servo $2.88

Blue LiPo 3-Cell 2200mAh 3S1P 11.1v 30C LiPo Battery $19.70

30A Brushless ESC Speed Controller [Volcano Series] With ESC Programming Card (+$7.95) Both $18.95

Alpha 480 (1020kv) OutRunner Brushless Motor $16.70

Dynam Supermate DC6 DC Multi Function Balance Charger/Discharger 1-6 cell Lilo/LiPo/LiFe, 1 to 15 cells NiCd NiMH $34.95

Jack kindly responded with approval. Now I need to order a prop. Which prop would be best? And also, I can't tell if there is a prop-saver in the stuff that comes with the motor?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/alpha-480-...ess-motor.html

Will I need to change shafts, reverse the shaft or, anything else, for this motor to be used on my SpaFFFnutZ?
bigoledude is offline Find More Posts by bigoledude
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2010, 08:39 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,995 Posts
big,

The Alpha 480 motor and 2200 mAh battery should work out well as far as getting the CG right. And you'll have *plenty* of power! The Alpha 480 is a 35mm motor (outside diameter), if you find it a little big (it will work though), look at the Alpha 400 in the 920 Kv version.

If you're building a BB or something for the granddaughter or for a more mellow to fly trainer, look at the Alpha 370 or even 300 again staying with the lower Kv motors.

As long as you stay with lower Kv motors and 3S batteries all will be in synchronicity here as far as prop choices power, etc.

On props, I have become really queer for these Great Planes slow fly props:

http://www.electrifly.com/miscproducts/gpmq6610.html

They are much stronger than the GWS slow fly props and only cost about two to four bits or so more (about $5 a pair). You may have to find them online or talk a LHS guy into ordering them for you because it seems like most of the LHS stock a lot of GWS props but not the Great Planes props.

For the SpaFFFnutz the 10 x 3.5 or 10 x 4.5 would be a good choice. It pays to be able to prop up and down a little so if you have to order the GP props, picking up a package of the 9 x 4.5 too would be a good idea. That would give you four props, all of which will work, but you'll find you prefer one over the other probably. And if you have a build on the BB going too (I forget what your plans were) a pair of the 8 x 6's would be a good purchase.

You need a 4mm prop saver too, I don' t see one in the stuff you've ordered. And I don't see it there at hobbypartz either, but this is what you want:

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-53...r--dsh-/Detail

And you need a motor mount. For the Alpha 480 the 35mm body diameter and weight of the motor make the E-flite EFLM-1915 a good choice:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1915

That mount is a little bit more heavy duty than some of the others mentioned here and it has a flat mounting face and the right hole spacing to bolt right up to the Alfa 480.

As far as changing shafts, you will need to reverse your shaft to get the fixed part of the motor facing forward in a pusher mount and also so that the shaft is sticking out to the rear for mounting a prop saver on. But the good news is that the photo on the Alfa 480 there at hobbypartz there is a snap ring groove cut near the end of the shaft and that means that you have a reversible shaft.

When you get ready to dig into reversing the shaft (it is actually more a case of shoving it forward to use the other snap ring groove), we can talk you through that.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Apr 05, 2010, 12:19 PM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
557 Posts
Carl,

Nice looking build ... waiting for the first flight....

Nick
nickeast is offline Find More Posts by nickeast
Old Apr 05, 2010, 03:24 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
thanks nick, i have held the wing and run the motor, and there is so much thrust but have noticed its loud, not sure if its because its mounted on wood and coro, but it is like a low drumming, hopefully it wont affect it in the air,
carl
doggit is online now Find More Posts by doggit
Old Apr 05, 2010, 03:38 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,995 Posts
Nice looking build Carl, best of luck with the maiden.

As far as I know, when you get that maidened, it will be the second SpaFFFnutz ever built. I do not count builds in progress as builds, they have to maiden successfully first. I got the first part of my build done and posted and then got stalled a little bit. I need to get back to work on that, I have not flown a SpaFFFnutz in over a month or more.

Props are often noisier in static testing because they are so close to you and also because the prop loading is different in static air. I think you'll find it pleasant enough in flight.

I think I've used that prop, it looks familiar. Does it have any name brand or marking on it?

Jack
Old Apr 05, 2010, 04:01 PM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
hi jack, thanks for the advice on the noise, and the prop is 11x4.7( recommended ) and all it has on it is HAAYE, yes double A, also the prop size,and i really want to get this in the air, and if i get a break in the weather tomorrow i plan to do the maiden, and get some video, which i hope will give you a grin knowing your spaFFFnutz now has an english cousin ,
carl
Old Apr 07, 2010, 11:03 AM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
hey jack, say hi to your UK SpaFFFnutz - 48" Coroplast/FFF Hybrid Flying Wing, i managed to maiden her this morning, wind died down a bit, but still swirling, i couldnt wait and got her out, thats the good news, the bad news was the mount i bought was total not fit for purpose, in the first video at 5 minutes i land the wing, not hard, but not on film, then you will see how the mount has bent, this piece of crap must be made of aluminum foil , so bent it back and away she flew, then in the second video at 3.27 you will see it climb then the mount just decides to break off completely, and i show you the motor at the end of the video, but apart from the outcome of the mount, i will say this wing design is outstanding, and i urge others to build one, i am going to see if i can get a thicker stronger mount over here so for now the wing is grounded for repairs, but at least i got to maiden
carl

SpaFFFnutz - 48" Coroplast/FFF Hybrid Flying Wing UK (5 min 19 sec)

SpaFFFnutz - 48" Coroplast/FFF Hybrid Flying Wing UK 2 (4 min 1 sec)
Old Apr 07, 2010, 11:04 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,995 Posts
I noticed that the dimensioned drawing did not have dimensions for the wing filler panel on it, those were added and the new dimensioned drawing was uploaded today.

The new drawing can be viewed or downloaded from this link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...2&d=1270655940

Jack
Old Apr 07, 2010, 11:13 AM
Singapore
Joined Oct 2008
81 Posts
Hi,

Could you suggest a WS for a 1500kv BW?
23t23dS is offline Find More Posts by 23t23dS
Old Apr 07, 2010, 11:21 AM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
jack which of these 2 mounts will be better for this motor, http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=sh...ditem&item=636

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=21511
carl
Old Apr 07, 2010, 12:08 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,995 Posts
23t23ds,

I'm used to thinking of the BW motors as being 9A or 10A or so 24 gram motors. I don't think they have enough power for the SpaFFFnutz because of the weight of the coro.

If you scaled the SpaFFFnutz down to 32" (two thirds of 48") and the weight stayed linear to the scaling, you would have about a 15 oz./420 gram plane I think. If you can get about that amount of thrust out of your BW it might work.

Have you ever looked at the Divinity 42? That's a all foam build that would really fly very nicely with a BW on it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1023254

Not trying to chase you off though, if a SpaFFFnutz 32 didn't fly well with a BW you could always add a little more power to it.

Jack
Old Apr 07, 2010, 12:34 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,995 Posts
doggit,

Congratulations! You now officially are SpaFFFnutz #2!

That is a lovely flyier for sure. It is sort of strange to see another one in the air like that, it seems to fly exactly the same as mine did.

That aluminum mount you have must be flimsier than the GWS ones I was using. That and maybe your motor is heavier too. I bent the GWS ones about the same amount when I crashed nose first but they would survive a few re-straightenings.

I think either of those two motor mounts you show would work though. The black plastic one is similar to the E-flite one I am using but maybe not quite as strong. But I've used it with similar weight motors with good results.

If you use the method I used of resting the stick on top and putting doubler on the bottom with a couple of screws into the square stick, it clamps down nicely. And I liked being able to remove or replace it later if it had to.

The "L" shaped mount looks like a good choice too. I'd mount it in a similar manner on top with machine screws and put something like thin plywood or tongue depressors on the bottom to reinforce the clamping effect on the wing panel.

Congratulations again and thanks for the wonderful videos !

Jack
Old Apr 07, 2010, 01:32 PM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
i like the title of # 2, and i hope we see lots more in the air, glad you approve of my version, and it flies amazingly well, and while the mount lasted, i was only flying at 1/2 throttle, and i guess you can now say your SpaFFFnutz - 48" Coroplast/FFF Hybrid Flying Wing is now global , i did screw the mount on to the 10mm square dowel, but will get the metal L shaped mount, as i think it will hold up better than plastic, and will add a dab of epoxy onto the bottom for extra stength, and will also do as you say, screw a plate on the bottom too, as i said earlier there was swirling wind, but it just flew right through it, so cannot wait for no wind and see what this baby can do in good air
carl
Old Apr 07, 2010, 01:52 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,995 Posts
The epoxy glues don't work real well on coro because of the nature of the plastic and the flexibility it has. Epoxy just pops loose because it does not flex.

I think the mount on top of the foam and some small (4mm or so) machine screws through all the layers and with the doublers on the bottom will work well.

You flying yours like I flew mine if you were at half throttle. As you get more time on it you'll pick up the speed a little probably. But it is heavy enough that flying it in higher winds works real good.

If I wanted to fly straight up vertical, full throttle would do that. And rolls are more axial at higher speeds. But the barrel shaped rolls at partial throttle are fun too as long you didn't try them very close to the ground.

I found mine would fly inverted very well too. I needed to hold a little bit of down elevator (becomes up when inverted of course) to keep it flying level, that was probably because of the drag from the battery and stuff on the top of the wing.

But inverted flying still freaks me out a little, I need to be at least two mistakes high and even then I seem to use up the altitude pretty quick. I'm still a year or more away from inverted flying being a no brainer...

Jack