HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:40 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,922 Posts
OK, I get it now. In the fuzzy photos I thought I saw a motor with a shaft sticking out on both ends. Now I see that I am seeing the prop adapter mounted there.

The link you posted for a motor shows a motor with the shaft set up to work the way I describe, not they way your motor is. Is that the same motor as at this link?

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/epower-221...tor-p-212.html

Note that the photo at the link does not show the drilled and tapped holes for mounting the prop adapter you have either.

Once possibility is that the motor has a reversible shaft or it can be bought with the shaft reversed. Or that you got the wrong motor or the image on the web page is wrong or something like that.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2010, 04:23 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
jack thats not the motor this is the one, http://www.giantcod.co.uk/221720t-86...-p-402409.html the picture that your talking about was the shaft with the threaded prop adapter that screws on the opposite end of the shaft, if i use this adapter it will screw on the mount like an outrunner, but dont really want to use this one as props break too easy on these, i have asked on the shop forum, and have been told to reverse the shaft, but when i took the motor apart i noticed the shaft has a flat spot where a grub screw holds it in the mount, the other end of the shaft that sticks out, has a small groove around it where one of those tiny little u shaped clips holds everything together, but if i reverse the shaft there will be no grove for the u clip to sit, so not sure if it is infact reversable
doggit is online now Find More Posts by doggit
Old Mar 31, 2010, 04:25 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Jack I am thinking about building a 48" with coro and EPE instead of FFF...that ought to make for a pretty bullet proof setup dont ya think?
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Mar 31, 2010, 04:40 PM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
jack just took a quick vid of the motor, also showing the threaded prop adapter, and the end of the motor where it screws on, hope this helps
motor (0 min 58 sec)

carl
Old Mar 31, 2010, 05:00 PM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
557 Posts
Carl,

I think that I have a similar motor and the way that I mounted it was with the X mount to a piece of plywood glued to the back of the wing and supported with foam backing. The "silver" part screws to the other end of the motor and thats wher my prop goes...

If that doesn't help then I'll make some photos..

Nick
nickeast is offline Find More Posts by nickeast
Old Mar 31, 2010, 05:12 PM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
nick do you use a prop saver on that motor, i think a picture would help me, i can mount this motor as an out runner but only with the screw threaded prop adapter, i dont like these as the props break so easy when landing, but will see your piccy and see if i can do the same,
carl
Old Mar 31, 2010, 05:13 PM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
557 Posts
Carl,

I didn't use a prop saver.... I'll have to check and see if that is possible....

Nick
Old Mar 31, 2010, 05:19 PM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
ok nick maybe i will have to just use the screw thread adapter, or send the motor back to them,
carl
Old Mar 31, 2010, 06:19 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,922 Posts
doggit wrote:

"..jack thats not the motor this is the one..."

OK, now I'm up to speed on what you have. And I also read your posts and replies in the forum there.

The photos show what appears to be an extra shaft with that. If you got that can you tell if it is the same as the shaft that is in the motor now?

Some motors will come with a extra shaft for reversing and that shaft will have a snap ring groove near one end and grub crew flat that is far enough down the shaft to leave some of it sticking out when it is fitted. It is sort of like the shaft in the motor now but with the usable portion of the shaft moved to the other end.

I have converted motors that were configured like yours by cutting a snap ring groove, removing the shaft, grinding a flat on it for the grub screw, and then reversing it. Years of experience as a gunsmith and machinist made that a simple task for me.

Looking though their motors there, I see a motors that is configured right for what you want to do:

2212-10 (140W) 1400Kv SP Brushless Outrunner Motor - http://www.giantcod.co.uk/a221210-14...-p-402427.html

The motors that use a collet style prop adapter rather than the screw attached prop adapter are the type best used for pusher mounts with a prop saver.

I agree with you on the desire to use a prop saver. But if you can't you can't I guess.

Early in my electric RC tinkering it seemed like I had to buy several different motor to get one that would work. That has gotten a little better over time...

Jack
Old Apr 01, 2010, 08:27 AM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
557 Posts
Carl,

Here are some "blurry" pictures.... The first 5 are the plywood mount and the motor... my motor has a "groove" at the end of the shaft so the the "clip" could be put there if you reversed the shaft... The next 4 pictures are of a foam "wedge" that the plywood is glued too and it is in turn glued to the Trailing Edge of the wing.... the wedge can be solid foam or just glued up from layers.... needless to say it would need to be taylored for each application. Hope this helps...

Nick
Old Apr 01, 2010, 10:21 AM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
hey nick, thats a big help, i am just waiting for the ally stick mount to arrive, then i can try a fit for purpose, but now you have given me a second option, once i find the best mounting method i will post some pics, this motor has given me more grief than any other, but next time i will make sure i am buying only an outrunner
carl
Old Apr 01, 2010, 11:48 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,922 Posts
Nice idea Nick!

Nick's idea will work for you. You could make a sort open triangular box like he has there, put a piece of plywood on the bottom too, set that on top of the coro or the FFF and the coro, back it up with a doubler on the bottom of the wing, and attach it with screws sort of like I did with the stick mount.

Great ideas always emerge from groups or people looking at the same problem or need!

Jack
Old Apr 01, 2010, 02:50 PM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
well i had a play around today to see if i could make a prop saver out of the screw threaded prop adapter, and think i have done it,
pic 1, i got an old motor mount from a blue wonder motor
pic 2, i then got my dremel out and cut off the barrel, to leave just the 4 lugs,
pic 3, shows the motor with just the mount attached
pic 4, i then put the cut off mount on to the mount, i also bent down 2 of the lugs to act as an anchor for the band
pic 5, i then secured it with the nut that came with the mount, and then put the prop on
pic 6, shows the fully assembled mount with the black rubber O ring on, i have tested the fully assembled saver and it hold really well,
pic 7, a close up of the prop saver
hope you can see what i was describing
carl
Last edited by doggit; Apr 01, 2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2010, 03:54 PM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
557 Posts
That should do it...

Nick
Old Apr 01, 2010, 04:01 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,922 Posts
Clever idea and work Carl.

To allow the prop to pivot off of the shaft and "save" itself, you can shorten the shaft round the end. You want to have enough of it is inside the prop hub to locate the prop and rounding the end of it will let the prop tip to the side.

Jack