HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2010, 10:00 AM
Kuala Lumpur ,Malaysia
Joined Nov 2008
343 Posts
I used the standad COG from the manual...........

BTW way DOn I got news of the next 2 release....................

boy another 60mm potential upgrade kekekeke!!
bulldog2 is offline Find More Posts by bulldog2
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2010, 09:42 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,969 Posts
I just got my shipment in of the new Wicked 6000KV motor for the Wemotec Micro Fan, here is the test data:

"Wicked Wemo Extremo" 6000KV motor: 350 watts 57,500 rpm on 3S

This will be a great upgrade to make your 50mm EDF jets scoot on 3S lipo!
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2010, 09:10 PM
Rain or shine, wind or calm
Palatine
Joined Jul 2007
364 Posts
Ok...despite the problems with the model...I am going forward with the build and think I have an easy solution for moving the EDF unit forward. With the EDF unit moved forward, I believe Don's suggested CG can be achieved without adding weight to the nose.

I will post pictures!
typhoonmaster is offline Find More Posts by typhoonmaster
Old Jun 04, 2010, 12:01 PM
Palatine
Joined Jul 2007
364 Posts
Maiden went well. I was using a 1800Mah 3s 25c pack from Hobbypartz.com. WOT and a firm underhand toss and away she went. Aileron control is sensitive and needs to be tuned down.

I had the fan balanced by Don, so it is super smooth. As far as perfomance is concerned, I would guess it is in the low-70mph range.

It has enough power to do large loops, but I would guess it is less than 1:1 thrust/weight ratio.

Landing was a non-event. She slowed nicely and and maintained control at lower speeds. Overall, I am happy. Possibly interested in the Extremo, but need $$$
Old Jun 04, 2010, 03:39 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,969 Posts
Glad it flew well, so you have which setup in it? The 5400 and Wemo fan?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2010, 10:32 PM
Palatine
Joined Jul 2007
364 Posts
Indeed 5.4k plus wemo. Here are some pics of the mod and tip-tuck job. Basically, the mod is moving the fan foward and then using a water bottle as a mock intake ring.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Jun 05, 2010, 07:39 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,969 Posts
I like the pop bottle idea that seems to work quite well! So are you running the forward CG like I have? Also did you adjust the tail incidence or just move the CG forward?

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 05, 2010, 08:07 AM
Palatine
Joined Jul 2007
364 Posts
Thanks. it works quite well for some applications. The CG is about midway between your recommended position and the stock CG point. I believe moving it forward to your suggested point would make it handle better.

I left the tail fins at their stock position. I will try to snag a video of it. I just wish I knew the 6.0k version was coming out.

have you tried the 6.0 in your 60mm fan with the 3 blade???
Old Jun 14, 2010, 01:53 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Got some work on F-86 today. Here is what I did to solve the oversized outlet issue. I first did a "nip and tuck" by removing a wedge about 3/4" total width (3/8" on each side). Then I glued it together. This brought the outlet down to about 1.8" diameter which is what is needed for a 60mm fan! Next I made up a thrust tube and once the fan was installed, put the thrust tube in. Look at the last photo to see how tiny the correct exhaust looks even after the nip and tuck.
I put a thrust tube in mine with the exhaust diameter being 1 1/8" and she was even slower! (was somewhere around 60% FSA)

One of the guys at the field did the "nip-tuck" by cutting 5mm on each side of the seam for a total of 10mm. His was very fast!

I'm just not sure how far forward to make the cut.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jun 14, 2010, 01:17 PM
cmd
Niceville, FL
Joined Oct 2004
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
I put a thrust tube in mine with the exhaust diameter being 1 1/8" and she was even slower! (was somewhere around 60% FSA)

One of the guys at the field did the "nip-tuck" by cutting 5mm on each side of the seam for a total of 10mm. His was very fast!

I'm just not sure how far forward to make the cut.
60% FSA is too small. You probably don't want to go lower than 75% FSA. 75% to 85% is a nice rule of thumb. Smaller side yields more top end speed if there is sufficient thrust to overcome drag, larger side gives more thrust, but less top end speed.
cmd is offline Find More Posts by cmd
Old Oct 24, 2010, 05:34 AM
Fellow Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jun 2007
479 Posts
Quote:
I give up.... For those who have this plane good luck!....Well the remaiden was a HUGE success.
Don, You've heavily modified this plane, even changed the airflow dynamics of it. There's a reason why engineers use CAD & create airflow predictions with models. A small change can have dramatic results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
I am wondering if somehow during the "nip and tuck" I bent the rear of the fuselage up a few degrees.
It's impossible that you DIDN'T. Excising material from the bottom has caused an upward angle. I bet this is causing the airflow to hit the horiz. stab differently than the stock design.

------------------|
----------------/
-------------/
--------- /
-------

I'm not a very talented ASCII artist, but you get the idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
I would love to see a stock one fly, I bet it is nose up all the time.
Actually it's not at all, it flies nice & level. You're upward angle at the bottom rear of the fuse is causing an airflow change, that & not having the drop-tanks is probably making yours nose-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardog
I imagine the specified CG was determined with the tanks on. Wouldn't have figured they had that much of an effect though.
The effect on CG is negligible. The effect on the airflow under the wing is DRAMATIC. The stock design probably relies on the tanks disturbing airflow under the wing. Drag at this point will help the plane fly level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardog
It doesn't climb particularly well and has a difficult time even trying to do a loop.
The stock design climbs VERY well, and does loops with ease. I've also seen the stock plane just re-fitted with a stronger EDF motor & no other changes made. Flies the same as stock, just faster.

Bill
billbo1970 is offline Find More Posts by billbo1970
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:27 PM
I KNOW WHAT IM DOING !!!!!!!
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
1,443 Posts
hey don im new to your thread and p.m.ed you about the thrust tube ! i looked and could not find the pdf did you post one on another thread or page ?
HELLCAT632 is online now Find More Posts by HELLCAT632
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:28 PM
I KNOW WHAT IM DOING !!!!!!!
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
1,443 Posts
my bad thank you for your time don!!!!
HELLCAT632 is online now Find More Posts by HELLCAT632
Old Aug 06, 2011, 01:40 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,179 Posts
Thanks for all great info don.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Aug 06, 2011, 10:34 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,179 Posts
Would doing this step (narrowing exhaust without t tube) help the stock unit?

Quote:
Got some work on F-86 today. Here is what I did to solve the oversized outlet issue. I first did a "nip and tuck" by removing a wedge about 3/4" total width (3/8" on each side). Then I glued it together. This brought the outlet down to about 1.8" diameter which is what is needed for a 60mm fan! Next I made up a thrust tube and once the fan was installed, put the thrust tube in. Look at the last photo to see how tiny the correct exhaust looks even after the nip and tuck.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29