SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:14 AM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,413 Posts
So, did you move the fan forward? If so, can you show pictures? I'm confused. By looking at your previous pics, I don't see much room to move it forward at all.

Cheers,
Larry
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2010, 07:44 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,208 Posts
Right now it is still in the stock location.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:47 AM
Quest for Speed!!!
Fremont,CA
Joined Aug 2005
1,190 Posts
Will you advice the same mods to the 3 cell combo???and please also let us know how much u shaved the foam off to reduce the incidence.
thanks
Mike
Mike_eee is offline Find More Posts by Mike_eee
Old Apr 13, 2010, 06:07 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
I have about 25 flights on mine - 100% stock - and I am really enjoying it.. I do want to buy another and paint it as a Navy Fury and maybe it'll get some mods.
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Apr 13, 2010, 07:26 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_eee View Post
Will you advice the same mods to the 3 cell combo???and please also let us know how much u shaved the foam off to reduce the incidence.
thanks
Mike
I am not sure, I am wondering if somehow during the "nip and tuck" I bent the rear of the fuselage up a few degrees.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:47 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,208 Posts
Flew it again today flew great. I got doppler of 83,83,84 and 85 mph. I have some video but need to figure out how to get it off this new camera I got.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:29 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Flew it again today flew great. I got doppler of 83,83,84 and 85 mph. I have some video but need to figure out how to get it off this new camera I got.

Don
Congrats Don. That perseverance paid off.
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:26 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,208 Posts
Video still processing but here it is.

Wicked Powered Jpower 50mm F-86 EDF (3 min 22 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2010, 03:09 AM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,601 Posts
Quote:
Video still processing but here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwyJqMtiTjA
Booga-ty booga-ty booga-ty!!!
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old Apr 24, 2010, 07:44 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Quote:

Don
Don,
What was the final CG location on the F-86?
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh
Old Apr 24, 2010, 09:52 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,413 Posts
I just got mine all together. I used Don's work on his as a guide, along with 69SuperBee' idea to move the aileron servos to the top side of the wings.

I hogged out some foam under the canopy to fit a 2200 3S under their. I wouldn't have thought it would fit but when I saw Don fit his 1800 4S pack with similar dimensions, I gave it a shot. It is tight but it works.

After assembly, I checked the CG using my highly accurate finger tip method and it looked to be dead on with the recommended spot. I have yet to fly it though, as it is really windy and rainy today. Hopefully will get a chance tomorrow.

BTW, the power numbers Don quotes on his site for the 5400Kv with Wemo fan are pretty much dead on!! If anything, just a hair conservative. Mine peaked at right about 300 watts with a 3300 30C pack I tested it with. I imagine it will settle in around the 280 mark when I fly it with a 2200 20C pack.

Quick question Don,
Will that combo handle 4 cells, even if just temporarily? Just curious.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 02:47 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,413 Posts
I must have missed the post about the correct CoG being 95mm after the mod. My maiden was a flop.

I don't know that I had the same issue as Don, with regard to incidence, as it never really flew enough for that to be a factor (as far as I know). I tried a couple of hand launches and it pretty much went into an immediate tail stand both times. First time it flipped over and nosed in pretty hard. Hard enough to dent up the nose. The second time, I managed to get it to belly flop more softly, but I would in no way call either a "flight".

I had CoG set at recommended 107mm and it looked to balance perfectly. However, it clearly looked very tail heavy. Am I right in expecting incidence was not a factor given that forward airspeed was negligable? It seems that without this airspeed, there isn't really enough airflow over these control surfaces for this to be an issue.

Due to the foam I had to carve out in order to get the battery to fit, the area under the canopy flexed a bit and is now bowed. I think I will reinforce it inside the intake tube with some fiberglass and try to get a new CoG at 95mm, as per DOn's final result.

What CoG is everyone else flying at? The actual CoG point shouldn't change due to the mod, should it? Isn't the correct CoG determined by the airframe design, and not dependent upon the weght distribution of the parts?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 05:16 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardog View Post
Quick question Don,
Will that combo handle 4 cells, even if just temporarily? Just curious.
It will handle 4S no trouble.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2010, 05:31 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,208 Posts
Your maidens sounds exactly like mine unfortunately. The mods should not effect the CG. I would love to see a stock one fly, I bet it is nose up all the time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2010, 05:47 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,413 Posts
So, is it safe to assume they have the default CoG specified incorrectly? Did you try with the CoG at 95mm before changing the horiz stabs? Also, how much weight, if any, did you end up leaving in the nose?

Thanks Don.