HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:45 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
OK. Vtdiy now you got me passed out on the floor. You could write a book about "All the things you should know, about...." and become rich (Costco $9.98 + tax).

I love stuff like this. I am always all ears when it comes to the details. Especially like the Lacquar paint and how they can be re-dissolved in their respective thinners, cotton ball and all.

Thank you and I am honored it can be found in my decal thread.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:44 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,610 Posts
+1.

And my favorite factoid about shellac is what it is made from. My Grandpa once told me and I thought he was having me on.

From Wikipedia,
Shellac is a resin secreted by the female lac bug, on trees in the forests of India and Thailand. It is processed and sold as dry flakes which are dissolved in ethyl alcohol to make liquid shellac, which is used as a brush-on colorant, food glaze and wood finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
OK. Vtdiy now you got me passed out on the floor. You could write a book about "All the things you should know, about...." and become rich (Costco $9.98 + tax).

I love stuff like this. I am always all ears when it comes to the details. Especially like the Lacquar paint and how they can be re-dissolved in their respective thinners, cotton ball and all.

Thank you and I am honored it can be found in my decal thread.

Fred
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:00 AM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Yup, and the lac syllable in lacquer also comes from the same bug's name. While lacquering be sure to drink a cup of fabulously expensive paradoxurus coffee, so you will have something even more surprising to tell your own grandkids.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:33 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
991 Posts
Anyone try Future floor polish with this method? Nice tutorial. Thanks
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:21 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967250s View Post
Anyone try Future floor polish with this method? Nice tutorial. Thanks
First, thank you, and you are welcome.

I have used Future, however it is now sold as Pledge with Future Shine. Not on the decals though, but tried it on tissue. I have seen tissue finished on a balsa, open frame work before. Only problem I noticed, is once dry, Future is not completely waterproof on tissue applied to foam, and failed my durabilty test. The WBPU (actually Acrylic, the Polycrylic brand by Minwax) was much more durable. I would be interested in how it fairs, but it is a lot of water/moisture content which may disturb some inks.

If one had pigmented inks, treated, lazer inks, etc, then might be better? The older water borne ink I used was HP brand, and even treated too much application moisture was a slight issue.

I will try this sometime soon. If you or someone else tries it, let us all know.

Thank you too for bringing up a great question that no one else ever mentioned.

Fred
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:37 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
I've got some Future and like Fred tried it on tissue (a rubber powered tissue and balsa model) and I didn't like it too much. Other people do seem to get good results with it though. I also tried it as a test band of it under the wing overcoating acrylic paint on a tissue covered foam wing for a Pacific Ace I built. I didn't see any advantage in gloss or coverage compared to test bands of Polycrylic, or Liquitex acrylic gloss artist's varnish on the same wing. But again, someone else might like it better.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:51 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy View Post
...While lacquering be sure to drink a cup of fabulously expensive paradoxurus coffee, so you will have something even more surprising to tell your own grandkids.
Ewww. Gross.

Tim
Newtron is offline Find More Posts by Newtron
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:01 PM
Tom, Oslo, Norway
Oslo, Norway
Joined Apr 2007
66 Posts
vtdiy, thanks for the "translation" for Europe and explanation of the products used. I'll have a second round to the the paint shops and see what I can find.
Biplan is offline Find More Posts by Biplan
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:53 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
You're welcome! Let us know what you find and how well it works. Freddies decal system is a great help to builders, and I'm sure more people can use it everywhere with some understanding of what can be substituted for common name brands here..
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Jan 2011
4 Posts
Very Very nice article Fred,Very well done.I've been a modeler for 60 some years.Planes, Trains,Boats.I love learning new things.This one really takes the cake!Thank You so much for sharing.The Very best to You and Your Family.Smitty.
Catalina 4449 is offline Find More Posts by Catalina 4449
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:23 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Thank you Smitty. The same to you and your family too! Glad you appreciated it and maybe picked up a few tips.

Fred
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:05 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Fred;
Thanks for your tutorial, well done!

I use the feed-through slot in a Brother HL-2170W laser printer (black printer).
Works well.
I'm looking at getting a Brother HL-3075CW Laser (color printer), also has a feed-through slot.

I made a mini white foam piper cub, but wanted it yellow. Used colored tissue and the same mounting process with a HP LaserjetC4180. Some overspray.
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:53 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Cute!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Jan 2008
69 Posts
So the feedthrough slot is important. Thanks for the info. With the current back to school specials on at Staples I see the laser printers going for as low as $69.00 . ( As always the ink cartridges will be much more expensive) Now I have to investigate as I have been impressed by the work submitted here. Tero T in Toronto
21onen is offline Find More Posts by 21onen
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:00 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Feed through is desirable, but not critical.
I made my cub skins on a non feed-through printer
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin